PDA

View Full Version : No Broadband Internet service -coventry

bollyrotten
07-02-2006, 09:14
Hi experts!

I live in coventry and for the last 24 hours i have had no broadband service!
If i goto the ntlworld website and check the server status it does not report any problems !!! Yet again it does not even list this year. you can select a month & year but it only goes has high as 2005! I have had to wait till i have come to work to use the internet to find this out!
On my cable modem the only lights that are on (and stay on, no flickering) are
power,ethernet,sync & ready. the other two which usually flash dont.
If i goto network connections/support this is what it says.
Address type: automatic private address
ip.169.254.140.124
subnet mask. 255.255.0.0
default gateway (is blank)

Is this an outage on hte network of ntl or is it my end?? I tried reintalling via usb instead of ethernet but have the same problem!!!
Is anyone else having this problem??? Or is there anyone who can help Please!!

thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

I have just read about the ip 169 in the sticky threads at top of page, I will try that when im home. + resetting the tcp/ip (found an article on ntl website) I did try the power down routeen but always got the same result. My ethernet drivers seem ok, I have never had a problem with my service since swapping to ethernet 18 months ago. It was the automatic private address and NO default gateway thats got me confused
does no default gateway suggest its a pc/hardware problem?

Chimpy
07-02-2006, 11:23
Same here in Leamington Spa. Ready light keeps flashing. Been like it since last week. Checked upstream SNR and it's 61dB. Engineer is coming tomorrow to check it out.

mosaddique
07-02-2006, 17:51
I live in Coventry and have no problems with my NTL 1 MB service.
I suggest you contact NTL support. There may be something wrong with your line.

Also you could try shutting your PC, switch your cable modem on and off and then booting up the PC again. Sometimes this will cure some problems.

bollyrotten
08-02-2006, 08:19
Right im well fed up now!! day 3 of no internet!

I messed with my machine last nite for hours, My problem is deffinatley NOT the pc. the dhcp dont reliese an ip!
I was also building a new pc for a friend, tried that on my modem and that does not work either.
I finally found the server status telephone number and rang, to find there may be loss of service due to updates and rebalancing.This work was commencing on monday 6th (when my problem started) right through to friday 10th! However it says the loss of service will ONLY be between the hours of 12-6am!!!!!
Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and why mine would be down all the time.
Should i be patent and sit it out? or ring to see if there is a problem with just my line, seeing as someone else who posted in this thread lives in coventry without any problems with their connection.

Help with this matter will be really apprieceated as its driving me nuts!!

ps, i have not rang the tech support yet due to the reported work being carried out

Ignition
08-02-2006, 09:17
NTL's work *never* intentionally takes services down apart from between 12 and 6 (used to be 1 and 6) in the morning.

You certainly shouldn't wait it out. Always always ALWAYS ring if your service is down outside of the times that ntl provide.

Put it this way if you went to a supermarket which said it was open 9 - 6 and it was closed for 3 days on end you'd be wondering what's going on wouldn't you?

banjo
08-02-2006, 09:23
I am in Coventry and the system is very slow, I have had to go proxie hopping to help with this problem, I am a scardey cat and dare not face the wrath of dreaded customer services:erm: :bigcry:

Ignition
08-02-2006, 09:29
I am in Coventry and the system is very slow, I have had to go proxie hopping to help with this problem, I am a scardey cat and dare not face the wrath of dreaded customer services:erm: :bigcry:

Let me just reach into my bag of miracles...

Nope empty, help yourself first by following the official channels before I help you ;)

bollyrotten
08-02-2006, 09:48
thanks ignition, i take your point! I cannot survive without the internet its a nightmare!
Im tempted to ring them now even though im at work, im confident its at their end, i mean after all i plugged in a brand new system built by me on xp pro last nite and got the same problem!
when i click on internet explorer it takes an age to load, when cannot display the page. as soon as i turn off the modem it runs straight away, same with outlook

bollyrotten
08-02-2006, 13:27
It appears NTL do not have a mac address on my account for my modem!!!!!

richgm
08-02-2006, 19:33
It appears NTL do not have a mac address on my account for my modem!!!!!

Been there myself not so long ago I was paying for 2meg and only connecting at 750k because of it. :(
I'd guess that you own your own modem and for whatever reason it's not on the system the same as mine wasn't. Ring CS and talk to them they sould be able to point you in the right direction. Be warned it WILL take several phone calls.

Edit* This was my last post when I was having problems, it may haelp you a litle
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=648038&postcount=15

bollyrotten
09-02-2006, 08:04
LOL!!!!!!
It did 3 calls yesterday, but once i got through to swansea they were very helpfull. it seems that my modem is broke. I have an engineer booked for friday to come and sort it out.
Thanks everyone for your comments much apprieceated