PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Six Nations Rugby

homealone
06-02-2006, 10:49
Started this mainly to comment on the amazing performance by Scotland against France, but hopefully it will 'do' for the rest of the tournament.

But what about Scotland, eh, totally dominated the first half & should really have had more points on the board. Then to continue playing well in the second & manage to hold out when France eventually managed to come back at them, was awesome. I had goosebumps when they scored the pushover try.

Have to comment on England/Wales - to be honest I thought it was fairly even up to half time, but the sin bin putting Wales down to 14 men, after that, didn't help. I think also England showed they were the fitter of the two sides, hence the domination in the last quarter, but I don't think Wales were as bad as the score suggests.

Russ
06-02-2006, 10:54
Nasty nasty result which certainly didn't fairly represent the teams. We've been hit by awful injuries and suspensions, although players like Dwayne Peel just oozed class and ability. If only we had a fully fit and present side then I'm convinced we'd have won, but life is full of 'if only' types...:(

homealone
06-02-2006, 11:02
Nasty nasty result which certainly didn't fairly represent the teams. We've been hit by awful injuries and suspensions, although players like Dwayne Peel just oozed class and ability. If only we had a fully fit and present side then I'm convinced we'd have won, but life is full of 'if only' types...:(

yes, I remember the commentator saying that some of the players would normally be 4th or 5th choice - and even then were played out of position. Unfortunately that meant England pretty much cruised the match & had an extra gear in the second half, when Wales tired.

- still the Championship to play for, but, unfortunately, the games are going to come too soon for some of the injured players...

bopdude
06-02-2006, 11:05
I looked for a thread last night, was gonna post one today but you beat me to it. I didn't see the matches all the way through but what I did see of them was good rugby, sorry about your side being a bit off colour Russ. :PP: :D

Russ
06-02-2006, 11:08
I looked for a thread last night, was gonna post one today but you beat me to it. I didn't see the matches all the way through but what I did see of them was good rugby, sorry about your side being a bit off colour Russ. :PP: :D

Oh I wouldn't be too sorry - can you imagine how unbearable I'd have been had Wales beaten England at Twickers :D

bopdude
06-02-2006, 11:14
Oh I wouldn't be too sorry - can you imagine how unbearable I'd have been had Wales beaten England at Twickers :D

Just a little bit :rolleyes: :D last time I was there was England / South Africa, England got trounced :( :p: was a good weekend though :tu:

homealone
06-02-2006, 11:15

very good Rugby, in both matches, I still don't like the 'lifting' business in the lineouts, but the speed with which all the teams were recycling the ball from the rucks was really impressive.

Fingy
07-02-2006, 05:38
In both matches?? I think you'll find there were 3 matches ;)

Can't have you forgetting Ireland... though I may want to eat those words in a few weeks...

homealone
12-02-2006, 14:38
In both matches?? I think you'll find there were 3 matches ;)

Can't have you forgetting Ireland... though I may want to eat those words in a few weeks...

:LOL: yes, sorry, didn't see that - you probably realised i meant I had only actually watched two of them.

Unfortunately Ireland are bringing up the rear, so far, although I hope Italy's strong defence against England yesterday makes last weeks result a little more palatable.

I didn't see the match against France, but it sounded like an incredible comeback in the second half, shame there has to be a loser with a match like that - especially when France are the winners :(

Looking forward to Scotland v Wales, both have a lot to prove, Scotland are the improved team, while Wales still have selection problems due to injury/suspension. - Game on - I predict Wales for a narrow win if they can spread the ball wide, as the Scottish forwards are pretty formidable :)

Chimaera
12-02-2006, 15:55
Well the Welsh seem to be doing pretty well so far - let the second half commence! :)

homealone
12-02-2006, 16:47
What an excellent game, shame about the sending off, but a good win for Wales & a gutsy performance from Scotland, keeping the Welsh honest right up to the end.:tu:

Russ
12-02-2006, 16:50
Indeed, a good game and a great display from Scotland, they didn't make it easy.

homealone
26-02-2006, 17:09
well, what can I say, this has to be one of the most open championships for ages.

England totally failed to break down Scotland's fantastic defence, yesterday and Wales made too many errors, today, for them to have had any chance of taking the game back to Ireland.

I have to say, that although from my point of view the 'wrong' teams won, the rugby has been really enjoyable to watch & played in an excellent spirit.

Russ
26-02-2006, 17:11
Utter shambles. Can't wait to hear the WRU's excuse for this.

Nice to see the Wales backs stepping aside to allow those nice Irish forwards to score.

Just rubbish.

homealone
26-02-2006, 17:33
Utter shambles. Can't wait to hear the WRU's excuse for this.

Nice to see the Wales backs stepping aside to allow those nice Irish forwards to score.

Just rubbish.

The main problem seemed to be the Welsh team being unable to keep going forward, even in possession they weren't crossing the game line before the next ruck formed.

One crucial point in the game was Steve Jones injury, I wouldn't put all the blame on Henson, but his lack of match practice in a crucial position was a definite factor after he replaced Jones.

homealone
12-03-2006, 00:47
Wales had flair, organisation and commitment, today - but, they lacked belief, in my opinion, ....

homealone
12-03-2006, 17:24
Wheras England today were just dire, they made far too many mistakes, I hope Ireland come out on top, rather than France.

Wales v France could be a very interesting game, the way both teams form can vary :)

Fingy
12-03-2006, 17:44
Funnily enough I want Ireland to win too, but they also need to get their act together, was a shabby weekend of rugby.

homealone
12-03-2006, 17:52
Funnily enough I want Ireland to win too, but they also need to get their act together, was a shabby weekend of rugby.

I didn't see Ireland v Scotland, yesterday, but Scotland played badly, according to the report I read.

The only problem, is that when one team plays badly it takes away from the win by the other side. Saying England & Scotland played badly is probably not giving enough credit to France & Ireland.

But I will be cheering for a Welsh victory next week :tu:

Chimaera
12-03-2006, 18:09

I didn't see Ireland v Scotland, yesterday, but Scotland played badly, according to the report I read.

The only problem, is that when one team plays badly it takes away from the win by the other side. Saying England & Scotland played badly is probably not giving enough credit to France & Ireland.

But I will be cheering for a Welsh victory next week :tu:
Yay!!! So will I! :D

driver_problems
18-03-2006, 18:23
Wales did their classic tactic of winning in the first half - having a rest on their laurels in half time and then losing in the second half

Bitterly dissapointed here - pass the slippers :D

homealone
18-03-2006, 19:42
well done Ireland for getting the Triple Crown is probably the most positive thing I can say about todays rugby....

Wales seemed to run out of steam in the last 10 minutes of their game & France took full advantage.

England improved a bit in the second half, but gave away far too much possession & were slow to recycle the ball, wheras the Irish were much quicker & that was complemented by a brilliant performance from their backs.

I didn't watch Scotland v Italy, but it was apparently a very entertaining game - Italy may be one to watch next year, they have improved a lot.

Oh and I suppose France should be congratulated on winning the championship....

Fingy
18-03-2006, 20:30
Never mind France, we got the triple crown!!! :cleader: :beer:

Orior
18-03-2006, 23:04
Hey, anyone else overjoyed at Ireland beating the country that invented Rugger?

Stuart
18-03-2006, 23:17
I have to admit, I am not bothered about Ireland winning. I don't follow Rugby.

Orior
18-03-2006, 23:18
Whoops, I am only after noticing the Sports sub-forum. I was puzzled about there was no six nations discussion!