PDA

View Full Version : Power off modem?

shnookumshnum
05-02-2006, 10:30
Hi all
Just wondering (after reading another thread) if you need to switch off the modem at the mains every night and then switch it back on in the morning? does anyone else do this? Mine has not been powered off since install :dozey:

Also, On the network connection to the modem status screen it always says "packets sent 0", while the packets received are well in the thousands on a 14 hour connection, why is this? could something be wrong? I have noticed that the upload speed is very slow compared with download speed

Paul K
05-02-2006, 10:35
No it's fine to leave it on, turning it off could cause it to lose contact with the NTL servers which could in turn lead to more problems lol
Leaving it on is the norm so don't worry.

grubbymitts
05-02-2006, 10:43
I always switch off mine when I've finished using it and never had a problem. (eyes modem suspiciously thinking it will now play up!)

Halcyon
05-02-2006, 12:59
I turn mine off each night for the main reason that the AC adapter get's hot and I dont use the Internet during the night.
Many years ago there were problems if you kept themodem off too long and it would not connect back to the servers. This is now no longer a problem.
I've even left it off and unplugged for about 7 weeks once and all worked fine.

Just remember that if you do turn it off and then on.... wait for the lights to settle before you switch on your PC.

Stephen
05-02-2006, 14:46
I've had my ntl modem powered on since day of install in dec 03. I prefer to leave it on so that the connection is always there.