PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Modem?

caveman
15-11-2003, 18:17
Is the Ethernet / USB connector with the flashing light connected to the back of the PC a modem. I ask because if I want to install a router then they are supplied with or without modem, but do say that on BB connections a modem must be installed.
Is this info correct ( I may be misinformed) and is BB not a digital transmission. In which case why is a modem required? What is the technical answer to these questions please.

Bulky
15-11-2003, 18:59
no, its not a modem, you need to get a modem and then plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the ethernet connection on the back of your comp :)

Stuart
15-11-2003, 19:02
A modem is required because the Cable network requires hi frequency analogue transmissions.

caveman
15-11-2003, 19:46
A modem is required because the Cable network requires hi frequency analogue transmissions.

So where is the modem on a normal broad band set-up

Paul K
15-11-2003, 19:51
Could be an external stand alone modem or the modem built into the set top box.

KenK
15-11-2003, 21:18
Is the Ethernet / USB connector with the flashing light connected to the back of the PC a modem. I ask because if I want to install a router then they are supplied with or without modem, but do say that on BB connections a modem must be installed.
Is this info correct ( I may be misinformed) and is BB not a digital transmission. In which case why is a modem required? What is the technical answer to these questions please.
Is it a "modem"? Probably not. They could call it an BB adapter. But, most people refer to an adapter that lets a PC connect to the internet as ... a modem. Let's just go with the flow.
AFAIK, routers can have ADSL "modems" built in, or not; but they're no use for cable-BB, you need a separate cable-BB "modem".

Dooby
18-11-2003, 14:32
modem stands for modulator/demodulator ( or modulation/demodulation... something like that ) Basically the digital signal from the computer is modulated into an analogue signal to send down the wire, then the response is demodulated into a digital signal to pass to the computer. I am not sure if the BB network uses analogue signals over the wire, but I would guess that it still does, as does ADSL ( thats why you need a splitter, otherwise you would hear loads of static or something on the phone line ... bit like picking up the phone when a dialup modem is using it, or so I have been told, I dont have ADSL so cant try it )

Dooby
18-11-2003, 14:39
getting back to the point though, whether you use a stand alone cable modem, or the cable modem built into the set top box, you can connect to it using ethernet ( the socket that looks a bit like a phone socket - RJ45 )
The great thing about that is you can buy routers that have an ethernet 'WAN' port, much cheaper than ADSL routers (at least you could when I last looked)
I have Linksys BESFR14 ( or is it BEFSR14 ... ) and it works a treat. :)

oh and the thing with the flashing light is probably an ethernet card, they tend to have lights on them, they flash when data is sent, or to indicate what speed they are running at

rdhw
21-11-2003, 17:23
Is the Ethernet / USB connector with the flashing light connected to the back of the PC a modem. I ask because if I want to install a router then they are supplied with or without modem, but do say that on BB connections a modem must be installed.I think you might be confusing cable with DSL. With DSL, it is possible for consumers to buy DSL modems, or DSL modem/routers. With cable on NTL, only NTL can provide the modem (which you already have, possibly contained within a digital TV set top box). If you want a router for sharing the broadband connection, you therefore want a simple boradband router, not one with a DSL modem built in.