PDA

View Full Version : NTL through ADSL?

martikus
03-02-2006, 11:19
Hi i maybe moving house soon and i believe the house i have bought is able to get NTL now i have phone internet and tv through ntl. i know i cant get the tv or phone but if i remember right a while back i read somewhere that NTL offered an ADSL product (i may be wrong) if this is true whats the speed and cost on this product or can someone post the web link to them. I know there is probably better packages from other suppliers but im curious what NTL offer.

Neil
03-02-2006, 11:21
ntl only offer ADSL in areas where they can't supply their own broadband product.

Chris
03-02-2006, 11:31
ntl only offer ADSL in areas where they can't supply their own broadband product.

Not strictly true ... Virgin.net ADSL is owned and operated by NTL and you can get it anywhere in the UK. They won't call it NTL and they won't bill it with your other NTL services though.

King Of Fools
03-02-2006, 12:13
Not strictly true ... Virgin.net ADSL is owned and operated by NTL and you can get it anywhere in the UK. They won't call it NTL and they won't bill it with your other NTL services though.
Although it will not be long until NTL is all part of Virgin anyway! ;)

Neil
03-02-2006, 12:26

Except it's billed & administered by Virgin, so it is strictly true.

If you want to use that reasoning-everyone in the country that has a non LLU ADSL connection actually has a BT service even though their bill may say AOL/Pipex etc. ;)

You cannot get an ntl branded ADSL product in an area where ntl offer their own cable BB service. :angel:

Chris
03-02-2006, 12:45
Except it's billed & administered by Virgin, so it is strictly true.

If you want to use that reasoning-everyone in the country that has a non LLU ADSL connection actually has a BT service even though their bill may say AOL/Pipex etc. ;)

You cannot get an ntl branded ADSL product in an area where ntl offer their own cable BB service. :angel:
That's a bit like saying I'm a Bosch customer just because those are the headlamps on my new car. But if I can't see in the dark, I'm still going to call my Ford dealer. ;)

I suppose it depends what the OP means by 'get NTL'. I have no doubt in my mind that I have NTL despite it being a Virgin.net bill. I am hooked up to a dreaded NTL proxy, I rely on NTL DNS, I have an NTL IP. If a technical fault occurs between my telephone point and the exchange, it may be BT Wholesale that actually has to fix it, but I have to report the fault to Virgin.net, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTL (http://www.virgin.net/about/virginnet.html), and who, even before it was owned by NTL, has always had its services operated and managed by NTL.

NTL don't even do 'Freedom' ADSL any more. If you're off-net, they offer you Virgin.net (http://secure.ntlfreedom.com/default_splash.aspx?scid=ntl) and if you are an existing Freedom customer, from that same page you can 'upgrade' to Virgin. And while NTL will only offer you cable BB from their own branded website if you are on-net, if you are on-net but have a BT line, the Virgin.net website will happily take your business.