PDA

View Full Version : Disconnects Between 6-9

nerionx
01-02-2006, 18:54
Ive posted a few topics about my internet troubles now.

What I have worked out though due to changing work shifts is they only occur between 6pm and 9pm

Any idea what could be causing, internet loss, slow speeds and high pings during this time?

Its weird because it will be very unstable, hard to get over 50KB/s download rates then suddenly it will return to normal hitting the 200's all the lag gone

Paul K
01-02-2006, 19:05
Peak times so could be someone in your local area thrashing the life out of their connections. Have you checked your signal levels etc? Next time it happens I would make sure I was on the phone to TS when the connection plays up.

nerionx
01-02-2006, 19:07
Peak times so could be someone in your local area thrashing the life out of their connections. Have you checked your signal levels etc? Next time it happens I would make sure I was on the phone to TS when the connection plays up.

I have done that already, ive been in touch 5 times, its pretty expensive when you dont have a housephone and ring from a mobile.

The CS did a check when both it was working and when it wasnt, tested showed the same results and he blamed my pc.

However i have tested it on another pc and It did the same, Ive even had an engineer out, he stuck a 6db attuner on it and left.

sollp
01-02-2006, 19:15
I have done that already, ive been in touch 5 times, its pretty expensive when you dont have a housephone and ring from a mobile.

The CS did a check when both it was working and when it wasnt, tested showed the same results and he blamed my pc.

However i have tested it on another pc and It did the same, Ive even had an engineer out, he stuck a 6db attuner on it and left.
You will find alot of problems will occur during this time due to the fact:

1) More people using the internet at this time, whether it be the NTL network or the Internet as a whole.

2) Something i keep going on about is the noise being generated in the home due to poor installation and people doing there own DIY installation, and also faulty TV's, STB's ect. This again due to more people using TV's during this time. So the noise is at it's height in this period.

Paul K
01-02-2006, 19:15
Annoying as I'm sure it is can you give us a description of your system set up, Operating system, any firewall etc that is running, NIC or USB, SACM or STB so we can start fresh.

KevAmiga
01-02-2006, 19:18
Another thing... do you connect using a Wireless Connection?

nerionx
01-02-2006, 19:20
Sure

OS = Windows XP (Clean install)
Service = NTL Broadband 2mb
I dont have any other NTL services

Modem = Blue Ambit 250 (Engineer was sent by CS and he added a 6db Attuner, It has had no effect)
Connection = Ethernet (However I have tried USB and it has same problems)

Built in windows firewall (Disabled at the moment)

I have also noticed now when you reset the modem it takes ages to connect, im talking a good 15 - 20 minutes.

When I lose internet connection the modem lights still report as fine, but send flashes once everytime i do something for half a second and receive doesnt flash at all

Ignition
02-02-2006, 04:30
I'll take door number 2, high CPU utilisation on the uBR that you connect to at ntl. This can certainly cause unstable connections while the processor is running hot.

Tech support should in theory be able to spot this using the tools they alledgedly have. You can also self diagnose this to an extent by pinging your default gateway - if you see a lot of packet loss to it but no packet loss behind it this can indicate a CPU issue on it.

The quick flash you see on the transmit could be your cable modem asking the uBR for an upstream transmit slot, and not receiving a reply back.

Chrysalis
02-02-2006, 06:21
ignition are ubr's supposed to be pingable?

either my ubr has a major cpu issue and has mega packet loss or its blocking pings.

Paul
02-02-2006, 06:53
You default gateway should be pingable.

nerionx
02-02-2006, 14:31
Ok when my internet starts playing up I will attempt to ping it

Chrysalis
02-02-2006, 23:41
ok if I have this right the default gateway is diff ip to 1st hop but is the same router as it has an internal and external ip right?

I get no packet loss just big fluctuation :( so upstream issue for me.

nerionx
03-02-2006, 14:35
After threatening to cancel this is the reply i got from ntl

Hi Adam,

I have looked into your situation in more depth and I can see that there are some network issues in your area. These would cause the problems that you have been facing, (dropped connections, slow browsing and downloads). At the moment there is work scheduled to resolve this issue. The date I have for this is 08/02/2006.

ntl is committed to provide all it's customers with the highest quality service possible and I hope that this work, when carried out, will resolve any issues you have with your Broadband service.

I hope this answers your questions Paul.

Thank you for contacting ntl

So I will wait up untill a few days after the work is completed, If my problems carry on I will move over to BT

Chrysalis
03-02-2006, 22:31
nerionx who did you contact? thats a good response showing a date etc.

sollp
03-02-2006, 22:44
nerionx who did you contact? thats a good response showing a date etc.

This will be a Optical resegmentation or a UBR reseg, scheduled for this date.

nerionx
04-02-2006, 00:11
Urm its a from the responcetek system