PDA

View Full Version : SuftBoard models and 10Mb

po8crg
01-02-2006, 14:20
Am I right in remembering that some models of the SurfBoard modems don't support 10Mb? I have got a 3100 - SB3100-3.3.0-SCM00-NOSHELL is the software version - I seem to remember that that model doesn't support 10Mbps connections.

I'm currently on 4MBps. If I phone up and ask to be upgraded to 10MBps, will they provide me with a shiny new modem automatically, or will I need to ask for one?

Paul K
01-02-2006, 14:22
Is it an NTL provided modem or one you purchased many moons ago? If it's NTL supplied you may have to wait for a new one and in the mean time only get partial speeds. If it is one you purchased then ring up and ask for the modem as you are now paying for it's supply.

po8crg
01-02-2006, 14:25
Is it an NTL provided modem or one you purchased many moons ago? If it's NTL supplied you may have to wait for a new one and in the mean time only get partial speeds. If it is one you purchased then ring up and ask for the modem as you are now paying for it's supply.

Um, it's a Telewest/Blueyonder provided modem. I was planning to say I'd stay at 4MB (and therefore not give them the extra £10 a month) until they agreed to give me the new modem, which should work quite well as an incentive. I was just trying to get my facts straight on whether I actually need to replace a 3100?

Paul K
01-02-2006, 17:00
My bad ;) From reading around it seems that BY are saying yes but most customers are saying no. It looks like a problem with the Duplex settings as some customers are only getting 5Mb.
I would call BY and tell them you would only consider changing to 10Mb if they supply a new modem first. Other than that keep reading round and see if anything changes.
this (http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&q=surfboard+3100+10mb) made interesting reading, it seems the 3100 can get up to 6Mb and thats it.
Could also look closer to home for the info lol
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=38516

v0id
02-02-2006, 16:25
The sb4100 can handle 10Mb just fine.

If you've got the 3100 just ring CS, or post in the BY newsgroup that you want a modem swap.

Make it clear you want one of the motorolla ones though, the webstar modems are pants