PDA

View Full Version : NTL Query

polybear
31-01-2006, 15:46
I'm about to dump NTL and go back to a BT phoneline for phone & internet. I've heard that I can connect my tv straight into the wall socket using an f-type adaptor and by-pass the analogue decoder. Apparently you can still get the standard BBC/ITV channels by doing this. Can anyone confirm this please?
Thanks.
Polybear.

MovedGoalPosts
31-01-2006, 15:51
This may work, or it may not. Most areas do carry an unencrypted analogue service for channels 1-5. That relies on ntl not disconnecting the cable to your house at the street cabinet (which they are entitled to do). Thus don't complain if or when ntl cut the cable off.

You need to ensure any cable you do connect does not cause interference or feedback into the ntl network. I've seen posts elsewehre on this board that it's arguable whether it is in fact beneificial or detrimental for a TV to be connected if the cable is not live, since each cable should ideally be properly terminated. Leaving the cable connected but unterminated (without the TV), can thus be a problem in it's own right.

polybear
31-01-2006, 16:06
Thanks Rob. One thought - when I cancel my NTL account (we only have it for phone & basic tv) will i still get basisc tv through the STB or can NTL disable it remotely? Or will a man with a van come to get the box back? It's over 10 years old and analogue, so not much use to anyone. I wanted to stay with NTL but they wouldn't give me a sensible deal for Broadband.
Polybear.

MovedGoalPosts
31-01-2006, 16:08
Theoretically ntl will collect the STB. In practice, who knows, there have been lots of posts where people have said the thing is left gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere. Certainly any encrypted channels will go.

polybear
31-01-2006, 16:27
Thanks again Rob. I'll let you know how I get on.
Polybear.