PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband Problem and IP Addresses

zaz_fan
31-01-2006, 00:25
My Ntl broadband has been playing up for the last couple of weeks. During the day I get no service but after midnight it runs fine.

I have rung NTL twice now and both times they have said its my computer and not their end.

When I checked my IP address when it wasn't working it said that it began 169.**.**.** which the bloke from Banaglore said was not an NTL recognised IP address.

Now my NTL is working (it's after midnight) my IP address is 81.**.**.**.

Why is my IP address changing at what looks like set times? Is it anything to do with the maintanence work going on in my area (Portsmouth)?

NTl have told me to get my computer checked out in, especially the Ethernet NIC Card. Are they talking out of their behinds?

Hope someone can help.

I'm on 2mb broadband through modem ethernet. Think its the 250 box.

Cheers

zaz :)

Paul
31-01-2006, 00:31
A 169 address is what you get when you computers DHCP request is not answered by the modem. Are you plugged directly into the modem, do you have any firewall software running ? If you reboot the modem or the pc during the day, do you then get connected ?

zaz_fan
31-01-2006, 16:34
A 169 address is what you get when you computers DHCP request is not answered by the modem. Are you plugged directly into the modem, do you have any firewall software running ? If you reboot the modem or the pc during the day, do you then get connected ?

The computer is directly plugged into the modem via ethernet. Don't have a router or anything.

Have firewall built into Norton Antivirus.

Seems to be working fine at moment tho but am waiting for it to go wrong AGAIN!!! ;)

Paul K
31-01-2006, 16:42
Have you checked your firewall logs in case you are blocking data from being sent to the DHCP server etc?

zaz_fan
01-02-2006, 00:03
Have you checked your firewall logs in case you are blocking data from being sent to the DHCP server etc?

Looked at Norton and doesn't look like blocking DHCP.

Just seems strange that internet works fine after midnight.

grubbymitts
01-02-2006, 12:19
go into run on the Start Menu, type command.com, then when you get a C: prompt type ipconfig /release press enter wait a couple of minutes and type ipconfig /renew

That should release the 169 ip and force windows to look for another IP address. If this doesn't work, turn off the pc, turn off the modem. Walk away from the pc (have a cup of tea). Turn on the modem, twiddle thumbs for three or four minutes, then boot up the pc.

If that doesn't work then I'm flummoxed.

hammered
01-02-2006, 13:00
Sounds like you have a dodgy network cable that has a break somewhere inside. Try changing the cable first, see how it goes over a few days. If it's still the same try a replacement NIC (Network card). Chances are it'll either be your firewall blocking the requests (as previously stated) or it'll be a hardware (cable or NIC) fault...

tomjleeds
01-02-2006, 14:10
I remember this happening to a friend of mine a few months ago. I tried every which way to sort it but in the end the only thing which seemed to work was a new NIC :(

zaz_fan
01-02-2006, 16:55
Looks like it is probabky the NIC card. The cable modem 'appears' to be working fine on my sister's laptop.

My only confusion is that the modem/cable/NIC works fine after 12pm

:(

Chris
01-02-2006, 16:58
Looks like it is probabky the NIC card. The cable modem 'appears' to be working fine on my sister's laptop.

My only confusion is that the modem/cable/NIC works fine after 12pm

:(
Perhaps by 12pm you have become frustrated enough to kick it, making the loose wires touch and 'repairing' it temporarily? Or maybe by about midnight your PC has been on long enough that the whole lot has warmed up, moved a bit, and forced a bad connection back together? Stranger things have happened. :D

KevAmiga
01-02-2006, 17:09
Wait .... dont blame the NIC just yet.

Have you read the 169IP check i posted?

zaz_fan
01-02-2006, 17:24

That was very confusing as well. The only time i seemed to get a 169 IP address was when I phoned NTL and they got me messing around with my modem (turning off at mains, rebooting computer etc)

I've got a normal IP address at the moment and the internet just stops working after a short while...very frustrating.

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

KevAmiga
01-02-2006, 19:13
Ok do this.

When it goes offline, power down the modem. Remove coax, power up modem.

Do you get an IP starting with 192 (Assigned by DHCP?)

zaz_fan
01-02-2006, 19:32
Ok do this.

Cheers for the tip....unfortunately sister got bit over excited and went out and bought new Nic Card. Main computer is now in bits!!!

Will give you update when computer back together. If new NIC card doesnt work will try your tip.

Chris
02-02-2006, 09:53
Cheers for the tip....unfortunately sister got bit over excited and went out and bought new Nic Card. Main computer is now in bits!!!

Will give you update when computer back together. If new NIC card doesnt work will try your tip.

Sheeesh, give a woman a slim excuse to go shopping ... :disturbd: Didn't think it extended to little bits of computer hardware though.

Is that my coat? :D :Sprint:

KevAmiga
02-02-2006, 10:23
Hah not good!

popper
03-02-2006, 15:38
Ok do this.

hi Kev:
haa just noticed noticed you got one of them new fangled amiga1200's.

i hacked :Yikes: a 590 and soldered an edge connector to it then slapped it
into a 1500 zorro slot, worked a treat,;) LOL

did you try your 1200 on the 10megbit yet ?, howd it do!
holgers ip stack i asume.

(pc users wondering what im on about probably LOL:dunce: )

on another thought , before anyone reinstalls their windows, it might be a good
thing to try and download a small "livecd" linux and boot with that to try out
your connection first.

that assumes your pluged into your stb/modem with a rj45/netcard (rtl81?9 4quid+).

zaz_fan
06-02-2006, 23:32
Got a new NIC Card installed and everything finally seems to be running fine.

Thank god!!!

Cheers guys/and poss gals

:)