PDA

View Full Version : 10mbit suddenly limited to 5mbit?!?

galfwender
29-01-2006, 10:00
The first month after recieving the 10mbit upgrade I was getting true 10mbit speeds - up to 1.3MB/sec at times.

Everything was great, I downloaded about 95GB in December. Didn't give much thought to the what would happen having gone over the limit as there doesn't seem to be anyone coming forward with stories of being capped...

This month, everything was fine until about the 15th when I noticed that if I downloaded at full speed for more than 3 minutes I would lose the connection and have to reboot the silver NTL:Home modem before I could do anything else.. this happened time after time. I limited my downloads to 512KB (4mbit) and could download continuously without the modem crashing. Actually, I'm not sure if the word "crashing" is appropriate - the LED's were still blinking away, it just wasn't doing anything.

I thought I'd leave it like that till the start of February rather than calling NTL just to find out that this was how they dealt with people who went over the limit..

But today I thought I'd try downloading at full speed once more to see if the problem is still there, and to my amazement I find that my speed has been limited to ~640KB (5mbit). The graph of the download speed shows this as a definite smooth line, nothing I can do will make it go faster than this - and the connection is stable, I haven't had to reboot the modem once!

So, have I been moved to some new 5mbit package? If it's unlimited and NTL won't have a go at me, I can live with that.. it would just be nice if they'd tell me what's going on!

Bill C
29-01-2006, 10:31
The first month after recieving the 10mbit upgrade I was getting true 10mbit speeds - up to 1.3MB/sec at times.

Everything was great, I downloaded about 95GB in December. Didn't give much thought to the what would happen having gone over the limit as there doesn't seem to be anyone coming forward with stories of being capped...

This month, everything was fine until about the 15th when I noticed that if I downloaded at full speed for more than 3 minutes I would lose the connection and have to reboot the silver NTL:Home modem before I could do anything else.. this happened time after time. I limited my downloads to 512KB (4mbit) and could download continuously without the modem crashing. Actually, I'm not sure if the word "crashing" is appropriate - the LED's were still blinking away, it just wasn't doing anything.

I thought I'd leave it like that till the start of February rather than calling NTL just to find out that this was how they dealt with people who went over the limit..

But today I thought I'd try downloading at full speed once more to see if the problem is still there, and to my amazement I find that my speed has been limited to ~640KB (5mbit). The graph of the download speed shows this as a definite smooth line, nothing I can do will make it go faster than this - and the connection is stable, I haven't had to reboot the modem once!

So, have I been moved to some new 5mbit package? If it's unlimited and NTL won't have a go at me, I can live with that.. it would just be nice if they'd tell me what's going on!
First

:welcome:

You seem to have omitted the graph.

There is no such thing as a 5 meg package and if you had been downgraded for going over the cap you would be on 512k.
Ntl seem to be having a FEW :LOL: problems with there 10 meg at the moment. Some users get 10 meg fine other seem to have had the slow down gradually over the last few weeks while others never got 10 meg to start with. I changed back to 2 meg from 10 meg after i realised that i was paying for a 10 meg connection that i never got 10 meg on. :)

There has also been some problems with a firmware upgrade that was carried out by NTL on the 120 model Ambit modem, However they have now done a rollback and they seem to be ok now.

Your problem could be a variety of things and i suggest you make use of the search facility on this site to do some more research. You will find a large amount of posts relating to this problem.

Ignition
29-01-2006, 10:38
What is this stuff that ended up below the post?

Actually seems to be Bill's spell check :)

half
Gal
gal
Alf
calf
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

wend er
wend-er
Wonder
wander
winder
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

LE D's
LE-D's
Leda's
Lied's
Lad's
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

Natl
NT
Tl
Nil
NFL
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

OK
OJ
oak
oik
KO
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

Bill C
29-01-2006, 10:40
What is this stuff that ended up below the post?

Actually seems to be Bill's spell check :)

half
Gal
gal
Alf
calf
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

wend er
wend-er
Wonder
wander
winder
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

LE D's
LE-D's
Leda's
Lied's
Lad's
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

Natl
NT
Tl
Nil
NFL
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

OK
OJ
oak
oik
KO
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

no its crapy version 1.5 of firefox :td: that does not seem to like google spell, Me thinks it is time to try another browser.

galfwender
29-01-2006, 11:08
Here's an image of DUMeter clearly showing a maximum rate of 640KB/sec (5mbit). I'm aware that there is no 5mbit package, but all I can do is suggest that this is what I've been limited to.

The modem is a 100:

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0001.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

No idea what firmware I was on previously, but before the 15th (ish) a full 10mbit wasn't a problem.

I've read through the thread about the recent firmware upgrades but it isn't clear if this applies to th 100's.

I guess I'll have to call them and hope I get lucky...

IanUK
29-01-2006, 11:15
Looks like your modem is still on 10 meg.

What speed do you get from here: ?
http://proxycheck.ntl.com/ try the 50 meg file.

Bill C
29-01-2006, 11:17
Here's an image of Demeter clearly showing a maximum rate of 640KB/sec (5mbit). I'm aware that there is no 5mbit package, but all I can do is suggest that this is what I've been limited to.

The modem is a 100:

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0001.cpr
Software Upgrade Admin Status : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

No idea what firmware I was on previously, but before the 15th (ish) a full 10mbit wasn't a problem.

I've read through the thread about the recent firmware upgrades but it isn't clear if this applies to th 100's.

I guess I'll have to call them and hope I get lucky...

Some users are reporting that they have never had 10 meg working on a 100 modem ?. Depending on which part of NTL you talk to will give you 1 of the following.

Ambit 100's are fine at 10 meg.
Ambit 100's dont work at 10 meg.

It's a lottery which 1 you will get told.

galfwender
29-01-2006, 11:19
Still 5mbit...

Mr Angry
29-01-2006, 16:12
Looks like your modem is still on 10 meg.

What speed do you get from here: ?
http://proxycheck.ntl.com/ try the 50 meg file.

Ian, when I try that 50meg download it kicks off at a "whopping" 24kb and freezes after 1% with a message in my browser (firefox) saying "stopped".

Any ideas?

I'm in Belfast on 10meg / terayon TJ210.

Saneboy13 has been checking some stuff out for me (Thanks C) but this "stopped" message is a first!!

I can't haven't been able to get above 70kb for over a week now.

IanUK
29-01-2006, 16:31
Ian, when I try that 50meg download it kicks off at a "whopping" 24kb and freezes after 1% with a message in my browser (firefox) saying "stopped".

Any ideas?

I'm in Belfast on 10meg / terayon TJ210.

Saneboy13 has been checking some stuff out for me (Thanks C) but this "stopped" message is a first!!

I can't haven't been able to get above 70kb for over a week now.

You could try it with a different proxy, but I doubt it would make much difference, that test file is on NTL's network so if you can't get fast speeds there its unlikely you'll get them anywhere :(

Hopefully Saneboy13 will be able to help you out, I know from first hand experience how frustrating it can be !

Chrysalis
30-01-2006, 00:46
that ntl100 I think hasnt got the new firmware so the 5meg is normal for the firmware.

I changed back to 2 meg from 10 meg after i realised that i was paying for a 10 meg connection that i never got 10 meg on.

So Bill you too eh :)

Enuff
30-01-2006, 01:06
I may as well stay on the 10mb for now, seeing as I only pay £19 pm for it.

sicknote
02-02-2006, 16:56
go on then Dodger444 tell us why :)

Hom3r
02-02-2006, 18:07
I may as well stay on the 10mb for now, seeing as I only pay £19 pm for it.

If I was you I'ld put £15 per month aside, because when NTL find out they will get there money, even if it is a few years down the road.