PDA

View Full Version : Samsung STB as a modem

__spc__
28-01-2006, 10:22
NTL broadband support inform me that I cannot use my STB as a modem.

Surely that's wrong?! Discuss...

SLM
28-01-2006, 10:25
Totally and utterly 100% rubbish, all ntl stb's have a modem in them. What was the question you where asking BB support?

__spc__
28-01-2006, 10:40
Totally and utterly 100% rubbish, all ntl stb's have a modem in them. What was the question you where asking BB support?

My STB and SACM are co-located. I therefore wanted to use the STB instead of the SACM so I could free up a power socket and remove a cable from what's become a mess of spaghetti!

Oven Chips
28-01-2006, 10:45
Asa you are from Swindon what you have been told is 100% correct

Set Top Boxes on Langley do not support Broadband. When ntl: developed the original BB service STBs on Langley used DAVIC modems not Docsis. You will need to keep the two devices.

Peter

__spc__
28-01-2006, 11:02

Set Top Boxes on Langley do not support Broadband. When ntl: developed the original BB service STBs on Langley used DAVIC modems not Docsis. You will need to keep the two devices.

Peter

Thanks for that.

Ignition
28-01-2006, 21:48

Peter

If it's a Samsung or one of the later STBs as used on Bromley platform it's perfectly doable in theory, however ntl are reluctant due to provisioning issues.

Only the ancient Paces are DAVIC only.

Oven Chips
28-01-2006, 22:21
If it's a Samsung or one of the later STBs as used on Bromley platform it's perfectly doable in theory, however ntl are reluctant due to provisioning issues.

The statement about "reluctant" is not correct - its never been considered, and the substantial majority of STBs on Langley are "ancient Paces". There were no Samsungs "when ntl: developed the original BB service".

Peter

SLM
28-01-2006, 22:22

I think its due to him being in a Langley area mate.

KevAmiga
29-01-2006, 02:54
Prolly is, Langley - No STB Broadband.

Clash between DOCSIS and EuroDOCSIS i think. I cant remember exactly... :dozey:

__spc__
29-01-2006, 07:43
I'm in SN5 postcode...

Oven Chips
29-01-2006, 10:01
The answer is in Post 4 above. Nothing to do with Docsis, Eurodocsis, theories...
:cool:
Peter

Ignition
29-01-2006, 10:52
The answer is in Post 4 above. Nothing to do with Docsis, Eurodocsis, theories...
:cool:
Peter

I bow to your superior knowledge sir :cool:

In my defence I wasn't aware if DSOL was running up to STB phatband on Langley, no reason technically why not.

Good to see you by the way :)