PDA

View Full Version : NTL Support Sucks Big Time!

HandyMac
27-01-2006, 21:07
I upgraded my service to 10M a couple of months ago. All working fine and dandy until about 5 days ago. Then, sluggish as hell and has been ever since.

Went to the NTL upgrade page, provided my logon details, advised that I already had the highest possible service.

Got my latest NTL bill out, I'm being charged £24.99 (not £34.99) per month, so NTL haven't actually upgraded me on their systems.

Logged onto the cable modem, it's showing all the right numbers for a 10M connection (according to another thread I've just read on this forum).

Called the NTL support number, got thru to deepest Bangalore (by the sounds of it). Told they couldn't help because my PC wasn't directly connected to the Internet - I've got a hardware firewall sitting in the way. Told them to naff off and check the connection - the NTL contract is to supply 10M to the cable modem - not to my PC, because they don't support the PC. I've changed nothing this end.

Bangalore went away and came back to advise that my NTL account is shown as in transition, so I must have changed something which is still going thru the system. I haven't changed anything. Deepest Bangalore then left me hanging on the phone, presumably so that I would hang up and stop bothering them. Admin department is now closed so I can't get thru until tomorrow.

NTL: Clueless. P'ing off this customer big time because their computer system which handles the connectivity knows I've upgraded, but the billing system knows nothing about it. Seems to me that their computer systems aren't talking to each other - and as a result I appear to have a 128Kb connection feeding 4 PC's in this household.

Not amused.

marky
27-01-2006, 21:10
I thaught it was a maximum of 3, but i may stand corrected ;)

SLM
27-01-2006, 21:16
Use this link and tell ntl about it (at the highest level).

Also telling the CS worker to naff off was the best way to get help....hell I would bend over backwards to help you if you spoke to me like that.

Chris W
27-01-2006, 21:31
Actually, the ntl contract is to supply "upto 10 meg".

Oh and as marky highlighted- you are in breach of the residential t & cs, so if you let this slip to the person you told to naff off i'm not surprised you didn't receive any help

20.1 Networking and Wireless Networking
The residential Internet Services are designed for connection to a single PC. If you connect more than one PC at any one time to the Internet Services you agree that this shall be entirely at your own risk. Technical support shall remain limited to your Internet connection only. You must not connect more than three (3) PCs to the Internet Services at any one time.

That said, it is possible that your cable modem is stuck "pending modify" since you upgraded, however you clearly have the correct config file so this shouldn't affect the speeds you are getting. It will however, affect the diagnostics that the tech support staff see (whether they are in Swansea or India) so the agent may well not have been able to get any useful information from your modem.

shnookumshnum
29-01-2006, 19:52
Here Here!

I called NTL the other day spoke to india, I could not understand a word and this woman didnt sound like she had used a PC in her life, and she kept saying "give me a moment" which was totally annoying, then left me on hold for 10 minutes. I work for a major bank and they offshore, the response from customers is awful. Offshoring is a bad Idea and should not be allowed. Disgusted in NTL broadband tech support.

SLM
29-01-2006, 20:32
To be fair with ntl it was not them that sent the BB support over to india but IBM, ntl contracted it to IBM about 4 years ago then IBM decided to take SACM support to India about 2 years ago.

Other than sacm suppport ntl does not have any call centres abroad.

Chrysalis
30-01-2006, 00:42
slm yeah but another way of looking at it if ntl were to tell ibm either bring it back onshore or we cease the contract what do you think would happen?

ntl arent blameless in this.

KevAmiga
30-01-2006, 00:50
if ntl were to tell ibm either bring it back onshore or we cease the contract what do you think would happen?

Not gonna happen.

Mr Angry
30-01-2006, 01:18
Actually, the ntl contract is to supply "upto 10 meg".

Chris,

I don't want to appear pedantic about this but your defence of TS and NTL is getting to be a bit beyond the joke.

The NTL "contract" with 3mb users, who appear to be those suffering most from this unilateral rollout, was to provide 3mb - not an "up to 3mb" service.

I have not subscribed to any contract making any mention of "up to" anything, nor was I asked to review my existing contractual arrangement with NTL prior to the rollout of their "fantastic" "up to" 10mb service.

Contractually speaking, since that seems to be your penchant, NTL are in breach of their contract to 3mb users (myself included). There is no 3mb service tier - ergo, under the terms of the OFT 1998 Consumer Credit act (amended June 2003) and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts (2002 (rev)) there is no contract.

It's important that customers are privy to their legal entitlements and that they are made aware of their rights under any contract to which they may have subscribed - notwithstanding your devout reverence for the T& CS of a company which has changed hands, not to mention legal demographics, at least twice since their incorporation under UK companies law.

Chrysalis
30-01-2006, 05:40
Not gonna happen.

never said it was.

---------- Post added at 05:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 ----------

Chris,

I don't want to appear pedantic about this but your defence of TS and NTL is getting to be a bit beyond the joke.

The NTL "contract" with 3mb users, who appear to be those suffering most from this unilateral rollout, was to provide 3mb - not an "up to 3mb" service.

I have not subscribed to any contract making any mention of "up to" anything, nor was I asked to review my existing contractual arrangement with NTL prior to the rollout of their "fantastic" "up to" 10mb service.

Contractually speaking, since that seems to be your penchant, NTL are in breach of their contract to 3mb users (myself included). There is no 3mb service tier - ergo, under the terms of the OFT 1998 Consumer Credit act (amended June 2003) and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts (2002 (rev)) there is no contract.

It's important that customers are privy to their legal entitlements and that they are made aware of their rights under any contract to which they may have subscribed - notwithstanding your devout reverence for the T& CS of a company which has changed hands, not to mention legal demographics, at least twice since their incorporation under UK companies law.

I dont think you would get anywhere legally with this, its a contended service and that is what ntl would argue in court, I am however right behind you on the anger of the situation tho since there is a sharp decline in the quality of the service since july last year and then again when the 10meg was rolled out. Their appears to be an over subscription of bandwidth but the matter of proving it would be impossible without a whistleblower backing you up.

Neil
30-01-2006, 12:32
Chrysalis-why are you still with ntl BB?

Mr Angry
30-01-2006, 12:54
Chris W,

On reflection I apologize if the above post appears to be a rant against you, I assure you that wasn't my intention.

The frustration, bar voluntary help / assistance from posters on this board, brought about by lack of info and updates from NTL is maddening.

Thankfully other, more technically minded, contributors seem to be getting to the core of what the issues are before the boffins at NTL.

Paul

KevAmiga
30-01-2006, 16:51
If i was on 10mb and it was proving to be that bad, why not switch to 2mb untill the problems are ironed out? Ok sure, you shouldnt have to do this but i know thats what i would do.

Rather have a stable 2mb connection @ 24.99 than a ropey 10mb connection @ 34.99.

SLM
30-01-2006, 18:17
Chris,

Someone made the same argument on another thread, and someone posted that ntl would not do anything to breach any contracts so I would tend to agree with that statement.

Chrysalis
30-01-2006, 20:27
Chrysalis-why are you still with ntl BB?

Beats the dialup alternative as I cannot have a BT line at this accomodation for few reasons. However I may be moving soon (within 2 months) so I could be leaving ntl then.