PDA

View Full Version : NTL Setup CD problem

caledfwlch
27-01-2006, 08:26
Hi,
got NTL 2 meg through the silver Samsung STB (family package) and I now desperately need to reformat my PC but the NTL broadband installation disk has decided to disapear - is there any way after reformatting that I can install NTL broadband without the disc, or does anyone have a link where I can download the software and burn it to a blank CD?

thanks

printerman
27-01-2006, 09:13
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603&highlight=cable+modem+setup+without+broadjump+cd

Print this off....you should have no probs worked great for me!

caledfwlch
27-01-2006, 09:39
cheers for that! But will it work for a connection through a Set Top Box? (i dont have a seperate cable modem - its the digital tv & internet through one box jobby)

Graham M
27-01-2006, 09:55
Yes as long as you are using Ethernet (which you should be to an STB) then itll work fine

patrickp
27-01-2006, 18:14
TBH, caledfwlch, if you're using ethernet, you don't need to bother with explanations. Once your NIC's drivers are reinstalled, just power everything down, connect up the cables, reboot the modem/STB and wait for the lights to settle, and reboot the PC. If you're using a router, power that up after the modem/STB and before the PC. That's it!

If you've changed the NIC, you'll have to re-register for an STB (not with a modem), but you don't need the CD: you should be taken to the registration page when you try to connect to the internet for the first time. You just neeed your account details (username, password, you know).

You only need the CD if you're connecting via USB (not as good as ethernet anyway), when you'll need it for the USB drivers, or if you want to reinstall the ntl software. And why anyone should wish to do that is beyond me... ;-D

KevAmiga
27-01-2006, 19:03
BTW, if you set up and cannot connect, check your IP

If its starting with 10. and you open internet explorer and cannot get anything, try browsing to start.ntl. Normally works :)

Armyof1BA
31-01-2006, 10:37
Hi guys I have a similar problem with a the NTL setup CD it seems to crash with VBtruck needs to close error. I have 1mb NTL with a STB and a linksys wireless router. We have two PCs which we want to share the connection over. I cant for the life of me get the CD to work. How can I bypass it and set up the broadband through a router.

:mad:

ian@huth
31-01-2006, 10:57
Setup without the CD is the subject of an "Article" at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=13

Use that link or click on "Articles" in the top nav bar on this page where there is more helpful information.

punky
31-01-2006, 11:05
Hi guys I have a similar problem with a the NTL setup CD it seems to crash with VBtruck needs to close error. I have 1mb NTL with a STB and a linksys wireless router. We have two PCs which we want to share the connection over. I cant for the life of me get the CD to work. How can I bypass it and set up the broadband through a router.

:mad:

Are one of the computers using USB then? If not, then you don't need the CD. Just connect everything up and repair the connection (XP) or release/renew or restart (98 & Me)

Make sure you power up in this order: STB (wait for the BB light to stop flashing), then router (wait for those lights to stop flashing), and then try and repair the connection.

Armyof1BA
31-01-2006, 11:23
No where using the ethernet connection. The STB is plugged into the routers WAN port. 1 PC is connected via ethernet to a LAN port on the router, and the other computer is connected to the router VIA a wireless card. From here Im lost. The CD crashes out Ive looked on the forums but it only seems to explain how to setup a cable modem and I have an STB. HELLLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!

jellybaby
31-01-2006, 11:34
Ok,

1. Restart the STB
2. Switch on Router
3. Switch on PC
4. Goto www.start.ntl
5. Enter requested details
6. Restart router and PC

Should be up and runnning :)

Once sorted, you can then concentrate on your wireless connection

Armyof1BA
31-01-2006, 12:02
Is there no configuration of the router required ?

jellybaby
31-01-2006, 12:05
not while you are setting up through a wired connection

Armyof1BA
31-01-2006, 13:19
OK I'll try that, is there anything else I might need to do ?