PDA

View Full Version : ntl home 100 speed problem

TierraDelFuego
25-01-2006, 22:27
Hi all,

First post here, as have just returned from a week overseas to find strange things going on.

I have a 10 meg connection and noticed all the issues with firware upgrades etc, but my issue is slightly different.

I am still on the ntlhm100_ntl0002.cpr firmware and am finding that although my connection starts off downloading at about 800K (the most I have ever got since upgrade) after about 30 or 60 minutes, it slows to about 8K until I reboot the modem. This affects all protocol transfers but ping ttm results to e.g. bbc show at about 15ms so not too shabby.

Does this suggest that the issues may not be purely firmware related but may be down to some of the network/ubr upgrades being performed at present.

Is it worth calling NTL to get an engineer out, or maybe upgrade to a 250 modem?

Cheers,
T.

Downloads
25-01-2006, 22:43
Hi all,

First post here, as have just returned from a week overseas to find strange things going on.

I have a 10 meg connection and noticed all the issues with firware upgrades etc, but my issue is slightly different.

I am still on the ntlhm100_ntl0002.cpr firmware and am finding that although my connection starts off downloading at about 800K (the most I have ever got since upgrade) after about 30 or 60 minutes, it slows to about 8K until I reboot the modem. This affects all protocol transfers but ping ttm results to e.g. bbc show at about 15ms so not too shabby.

Does this suggest that the issues may not be purely firmware related but may be down to some of the network/ubr upgrades being performed at present.

Is it worth calling NTL to get an engineer out, or maybe upgrade to a 250 modem?

Cheers,
T.

Until someone more knowledgeable comes and confirms or corrects me, an engineer i had out the other day said you need an NTL Home 200 Modem at least to get the 10meg.

Chris W
25-01-2006, 22:45
:welcome:

I'm not sure whether the 100 modems will do 10meg, however they will certainly do more than 8k!

Nedkelly
25-01-2006, 23:09
I have been changing these out for 250s when customer is on 10meg and i have seen a big difference:tu: :)

Swoopie
26-01-2006, 12:48
I've got a 100, can get 1mB/s off it easily...

Do You have a router?

Only problem I got with my ntl 100 is it reseting... (See http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=41482)

TierraDelFuego
26-01-2006, 19:00
Well thanks all for the replies.

8K was certainly taking the michael a bit but it does seem better today, in fact it is up to about 1100K download so about 9 meg connection - the best ever, so maybe the changes were made a day late in the camberley/farnborough area where I live.

I will certainly monitor it though, and call for an upgrade if needed.

Cheers all.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

forget that, it is now quicker but disconnecting as others - oh the joy :)