PDA

View Full Version : London start to Tour de France 07

Paul K
24-01-2006, 12:19
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/4643032.stm)

The 2007 Tour de France will begin in London, Mayor Ken Livingstone announced on Tuesday.
It is the third time the Tour has visited England but the first time it has ventured into the capital.
It made its debut in 1974 in Plymouth before returning to English soil 20 years later when England's Chris Boardman led the race.
The Tour has started in an array of different venues, including Dublin and Liege in recent years.
Livingstone said: "Hosting the first stage of the legendary French cycle race will raise the profile of cycling in the capital, attract visitors and promote the capital as a venue for international sporting events."
Hope they make it interesting by not closing roads or making any other special arrangements lol

Halcyon
24-01-2006, 12:23
Oh great....Not again !
It's called the "Tour de France" for a reason and I think it should stay in France.
I dont get why we all have to get all Euro suddenly.
IMO, I think it should stay as a race around France.

Jon M
24-01-2006, 12:51
Oui, l'excursion est un établissement français et devrait rester de cette façon IMO.
Je ne peux pas penser à beaucoup dans notre pays qui compare au paysage dramatique des étapes de montagne l'un ou l'autre. (http://www.babelfish.altavista.com/)

marky
24-01-2006, 13:08
:english: :Yikes:

danielf
24-01-2006, 13:12
:english: :Yikes:

He pretty much said that the tour is a French thing, and should remain that. Plus, he has a hard time of thinking of anything in our country that could compare to the dramatic mountain stage in the tour.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a stage with the finish on Ben Nevis.

Paul
24-01-2006, 13:13
Moved to Sports forum.

homealone
24-01-2006, 13:15
Oui, l'excursion est un ÃÃâ€*’©tablisse ment franÃÃâ€*’§ais et devrait rester de cette faÃÃâ€*’§on IMO.
Je ne peux pas penser ÃÃâ€*’ beaucoup dans notre pays qui compare au paysage dramatique des ÃÃâ€*’©tapes de montagne l'un ou l'autre. (http://www.babelfish.altavista.com/)

well not unless it was the Tour of Scotland, Wales or the Lake District - even then it isn't exactly the Alps or Pyrenees, is it.

Nugget
24-01-2006, 13:25
Well, if they're going to start it here, I think that they should have to cycle over the channel ;) :D

Hom3r
24-01-2006, 13:27
Well IMHO the UK has far better views in the country that the french could ever hope for.

they can keep the TDF

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Well, if they're going to start it here, I think that they should have to cycle over the channel ;) :D

No they should cycle through it

marky
24-01-2006, 13:32
I wonder if they will give us a good taunting from the tower of london.
"You English pig dog" :PP:

Damien
24-01-2006, 13:36
Well IMHO the UK has far better views in the country that the frogs could ever hope for.

Dude, That is very unfair and wrong. I dont like france that much but refering to them as frog is IMO unjusitifed and they do have nicer views

Nugget
24-01-2006, 13:36
I wonder if they will give us a good taunting from the tower of london.
"You English pig dog" :PP:

Just as long as they don't fart in our general direction, we should be alright :disturbd:

TheDaddy
24-01-2006, 14:41
Just as long as they don't fart in our general direction, we should be alright :disturbd:

Make sure you don't turn your back on them though;)