PDA

View Full Version : Some help with subscriber number

blue166
22-01-2006, 20:53
been a while since i installed my broadband installer cd, was the subscriber number the 8 digit pin number i had to get customer support to give me, as i will need that when i re-install after i re-install windows.

Memory not serving me great..

An answer to confirm weather me right or not would be cool,thanks

quadplay
22-01-2006, 21:05
Don't worry about getting the number - you don't need to re-run the CD at all after you reformat if you're using Ethernet.

If you're using USB, you still don't need to run through the whole installer, just make sure to disconnect the USB cable before you start the reformat, and keep it out until after you've finished reinstalling Windows. When you plug it back in, Windows will ask for the drivers - and that's when you put the CD in! :)

blue166
22-01-2006, 21:10
Would this trick also work if i were to place a brand new hard drive into my computer or move my modem to a fresh pc with a new hard drive.

Thanks,

If so,how comes i don't need to re-run the cd wizzard to connect to ntl

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

p.s. i use the usb connection

quadplay
22-01-2006, 21:17
Yep, absolutely. Just don't plug the USB cable in until after the Windows install is complete.

The install program only needs to be run the first time because it registers your cable modem to your account. That only needs to be done once, as you do not need to register your computer with ntl.

blue166
22-01-2006, 21:20
So how do i just install the drivers and not run the wizzard, coz im sure the wizzard will want to run won't it?

Also how will winodws know i have a cable modem running?

Thanks for the help man,

quadplay
22-01-2006, 21:21
The first time you connect the USB cable after reformatting, Windows will detect the new device (which has a unique identifier, so Windows knows what type of device it is). When you insert the CD, Windows will search the disc for the drivers and install them from there.

blue166
22-01-2006, 21:26
Thanks man all the help means alot to me ;)