PDA

View Full Version : 10MB annoyance!!

kingpin2k
20-01-2006, 17:49
HI.
im new to this forum after searching for help with my cable connection.
My hardware is a ntl home 200 modem.i also have a belkin high speed wireless G router to which my pc connects using an ethernet connection and two other pcs connecting with high speed wireless G cards.
10 days ago i upgraded to the 10mb service from 2mb and immediately started with connection problems after years of solid performance from my 2mb connection...
My connection speed had never got above 5 mb with 3mb the average speed during the first week, it even went as low as 0.8mb:mad: .
The last few days i am getting 8 mb which is fine but......i continously have problems accessing web pages but some other things would work intermittently like msn messenger(but i cant access my emails on there)when its actin up
These problems seem to come and go ,if i reboot the modem i normally get my connection back and it stays ok for awhile with ability to do all tasks before it goes again!then i have none or very limited connection.
I contacted ntl tech support to be told it was my browser settings that were at fault as i could still ping www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com) and recieve with no pakets lost.i installed broadband medic but it did nothing to help at all!..i formatted and reinstalled my pc from scratch and then set up my connection again and the same thing happened:rolleyes:
Today i contacted ntl again to be told they would renew my mac address and it wasnt my browser settings but after waiting an rebooting nothing has changed:erm:
i still get a normal connection that just suddenly decides to cut off altogether or leaves me with limited function.....btw i tryed without the router and its the same!....as they tried to blame that as well.
its obviously something to do with this upgrade but what??modem not working correctly?
any help much appreciated as this is doin my head in as i work from home and need the pc for work.........:disturbd:
thx in advance!!

Hom3r
20-01-2006, 18:41
:welcome: to the forum.

Try connecting a PC to the modem without the router, as some router cannot handle the 10 Mb. (a member here is a Belkin bod and should be able to tell you if your router can handle it.

JamShady
21-01-2006, 00:54
I'm having the same problem myself actually. For the last couple of days, the modem has intermittently stopped working. I've been on 10Mb since mid December (and yes, I do get the full 10Mb, even through my router :))

The problem is definately the modem, it's not the router because I can still access other machines on the network, and it's not the machine I'm using because when the modem goes, all the machines are affected.

Taking the plug out for a few moments normally resolves the problem, but as you can imagine, this is quite a hassle. I've checked the signal levels of the modem, it all seems fine to me.

The time it takes for the modem to stop can vary from a couple of mins to a few hours, in either case it's not reliable now. When it stops working, the power, ethernet, sync and ready lights are all on, there's no obvious indication of what the fault is and what is triggering it.

I'm thinking that perhaps the modem is past it's time. I've had it for nearly 3 years now, and for the last year or so it's more or less been on 24/7 (I've gotten into the habit of never turning my computers off now)

Edit: I've just found this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=41482) which I think would have been a better place to post

kingpin2k
22-01-2006, 02:18
thx for the replies ..i have tried as i said without the router and get the same probs..i am gettin close to 10mb when its running through the router atm so the router is fine...but still get these weird cut offs with no apparent reason....thx anyway

kingpin2k
24-01-2006, 02:51
Since the mac addy was renewed its gone back to being stable!!!no probs for a few days now!

SnoopZ
24-01-2006, 20:07
You mean IP ? :)

kingpin2k
25-01-2006, 02:24
still gettin dropped connections and havin to reboot the modem to get it back on not as often as before but.........always when im in the middle of something :[