PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Nightmare

hooksy
19-01-2006, 00:22
Hi all just looking for some extra advice, i formated my laptop and put in xp pro today which is connected to the internet through a stand alone modem. When i tried to reconect i got the 169 . etc private ip address. Ive done all the turn offs and unplugs which have been sugested by ntl and the thread above but it will not work . NTL tell me the modem is working fine and the computer tells me there is a connection but no information is being recieved. Im lost any advice greatly recieved.

Thanks !!!

SMHarman
19-01-2006, 00:25
DCHP on?

Hom3r
19-01-2006, 00:41
Welcome to the forum

Try temporarly turning of any firewall

maverick
19-01-2006, 00:45
Is it connected via ethernet or usb?

What version of windows was on the laptop before the format.

If it is connected via ethernet and a different version of windows was used before,check the device driver for the ethernet connection.

hooksy
19-01-2006, 00:50
The firewall is off. It had windows home on before and is conected with the ethernet connection (however i have tried the usb and get the same outcome) and i have been into the tcp/ip settings to ensure that the comp is requesting the ip via DHCP.

Scopeuk
19-01-2006, 21:32
you could try power cycling the modem if you havent already, not: switching enet to usb or vice vs requires the modem is powered down for a few minutes (just long enough to make a good cup of tea).

hairy_mick
19-01-2006, 22:13
Hi hooksy

run the installation cd again up to we are now configuring your pc to work with ntl broad band once it has a valid ip just press cancel to exit the cd. if that dont work unscrew the cable off the modem and reboot the pc and modem check ip if its 192.?.?.?.? then your lapy is talking to the modem close down lapy and turn off modem connect cable back to modem reboot modem and lapy and see what you get.