PDA

View Full Version : B4 Ntl Install Bband!

dcclanuk
18-01-2006, 20:00
hey guys, i wanted to know a couple of things b4 ntl come and install bband at my house.......

firstly is contention a big issue. I am getting 1mb unlimited, but i dont want a 56k connection at peak times...[dont wanna lag up my quake game:tu: ]

also, i have asked to have a modem instead of having the internet throught the STB, and i asked for a modem that does 10mb MINIMUM, so in future i dont have to pay for upgrades...... so which modem is the best one... [i will try and ask the engineer for it]

plz name 2/3 good ones if there are, so if i cant get the best one then the next best alternative will have to do.......

Thanks...

SLM
18-01-2006, 20:16
The only modems really coming out at the mo are the 250 which can cope with 10meg (all modems can but some are better). You should not get 56K at any time, if you do you more than likely have a fault.

18-01-2006, 20:27
i have asked to have a modem instead of having the internet throught the STB, and i asked for a modem that does 10mb MINIMUM[/quote]

the fastest service is UPTO 10meg............

Chris W
18-01-2006, 20:28
i believe ntl are only supply the ntl branded 250 modems to new customers anyway.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

moved to installation discussion forum

dcclanuk
18-01-2006, 20:33
i believe ntl are only supply the ntl branded 250 modems to new customers anyway.

SOZ FOR POSTING IN WRONG FORUM:erm:

ty for the info.. shall try and get that 250 then!

ALSO, ntl are going to go higher then 10mb for sure in the future, so i wanted a modem that could cope with higher speeds, but i dont need anything higher than 10mb anyway lol, only dl about 12gb max a month! But they were going to charge the same price as 1mb for that 10mb which is y i wanted that high speed modem.

SmileyMan
18-01-2006, 21:01

Correct only NTL::Home 250 installed now, no 200 installed

Chris W
18-01-2006, 21:28

ALSO, ntl are going to go higher then 10mb for sure in the future, so i wanted a modem that could cope with higher speeds, but i dont need anything higher than 10mb anyway lol, only dl about 12gb max a month! But they were going to charge the same price as 1mb for that 10mb which is y i wanted that high speed modem.

There shall be no "trying" to get a 250- they are the only ones ntl provide, thus that is what you will be given.

They are the newest modems that ntl have, so they are as future proof as you can get at the moment. Plus, you don't have any other option in terms of what modem you are getting.

SLM
18-01-2006, 21:39

I hope you are going to have a great time while you are with ntl but can I ask one question.....
If you are only getting the 1meg speed why are you so worried about a modem that does 10meg.....
If yo have any more question's please post there are a lot of people that can answer 99% of questions.

dcclanuk
19-01-2006, 09:39
I hope you are going to have a great time while you are with ntl but can I ask one question.....
If you are only getting the 1meg speed why are you so worried about a modem that does 10meg.....
If yo have any more question's please post there are a lot of people that can answer 99% of questions.

As later this year ntl should be upgrading every1 to 10mb, but with different limit caps, so if i decided to upgrade to that then i wouldnt want to pay £50 or watever it is for upgrading.....

PS i am currently at 8mb with freedom2shape, but when it was new it worked amazing at 7mb, but recently its not better than a 512k, so 1mb for now is going to be a better option. I dont really need 10mb tbh since i only do about 10-12 gb a month, but it would be nice:erm:

dcclanuk
30-01-2006, 15:15
hey guys... me back with my new ntl 250 modem....just installed!

happily surfing at the mo... netgauard keeps crashing my comp so gonna get rid of it!:rolleyes:

SLM
30-01-2006, 18:10
hey guys... me back with my new ntl 250 modem....just installed!

happily surfing at the mo... netgauard keeps crashing my comp so gonna get rid of it!:rolleyes:

NG works fine on both my pc's may be your pc needs looking at? A hidden fault you do not know about!

dcclanuk
30-01-2006, 18:43
NG works fine on both my pc's may be your pc needs looking at? A hidden fault you do not know about!

it keeps crashing IE, maybe thats coz it is clashing with NORTON?

IMO i dnt think i need NG, got norton, PG and all

SLM
30-01-2006, 19:18
it keeps crashing IE, maybe thats coz it is clashing with NORTON?

IMO i dnt think i need NG, got norton, PG and all

Fair one;)

mob227
02-02-2006, 21:58
Wrong you will stay on 1mb unlimited unless you pay £35.99 for the 10mb package

As later this year ntl should be upgrading every1 to 10mb, but with different limit caps, so if i decided to upgrade to that then i wouldnt want to pay £50 or watever it is for upgrading.....

PS i am currently at 8mb with freedom2shape, but when it was new it worked amazing at 7mb, but recently its not better than a 512k, so 1mb for now is going to be a better option. I dont really need 10mb tbh since i only do about 10-12 gb a month, but it would be nice:erm:

UncleBooBoo
02-02-2006, 22:01
it's £34.99 :D

Every pound counts! ;)

mob227
03-02-2006, 22:34
sorry my mistake, your right, us welsh people

it's £34.99 :D

Every pound counts! ;)