PDA

View Full Version : USB/Ethernet

BorderLine
15-01-2006, 18:03
Ok, kinda tricky question! I would like just to buy an 10m Ethernet cable to connect the BB Box to my computer in my room! It's already using USB on the computer beside it! So, I know you can't use the internet twice by using Ethernet and USB! But, I was wondering because I'm not allowed to use this computer anymore for about a week and sometimes I would like to! So, Could I just buy an ethernet cable plug it in and connect with my computer? Thanks in advance! Is there anything I need to know before it will let me use the internet in my room! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

need to know quick as im going to pcworld in 15mins!

nffc
15-01-2006, 18:04
Yes that's fine but you need to power off the modem and PC before changing the device or connection type.

Smilie
15-01-2006, 18:05
im not 100% sure what u wanna do
but i assume u want to use the ethernet to connect a differant computer right??
from what i remember reading
u cant use both as u already pointed out
so dont think u cant have both a ethernet and USB connecting to the modem at the same time
and if u want to change to using the ethernet u need to
turn off the modem remove USB, connect ethernet
then reboot the modem

i think some1 will come along and confirm if what im saying is correct or not

Edit:
hehe beaten by 1 min :P

BorderLine
15-01-2006, 18:05
Kool! thanks! is just my dad sometimes uses the computer without even using the internet so, it would be handy lol!

Smilie
15-01-2006, 18:13
well if u can afford it
u might be better off getting a router or something so that both of the computers can get online at the same time

BorderLine
15-01-2006, 18:14
Nah! it's cheaper the other way

KevAmiga
15-01-2006, 19:16
Cheaper maybe, but swapping back / forth can have disadvantages.

The ports on the back of the ambit modem's are sometimes (as with lots of devices of that kind) a bit fragile. Its not designed to be swapped all the time.

Plus, if you and your dad are both able to use Ethernet then you will have the advantage of a hardware firewall for extra security if you were to purchase a router. They are not all that expensive.