PDA

View Full Version : No local area connection, network cable is unplugged.

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 15:13
Just got a new pc, all connections ok until a couple of days ago when I noticed a message saying the above. Can you let me know what has happened and how do I restore it. Obviously can get online OK. Checked with connection info and am with Cosham Proxy (?)

Paul K
15-01-2006, 15:27
You can get online but are you getting full speed? You get this message if you aren't getting your full service. Are you fully patched and up to date on Microsoft Update etc?
One other thing, did you register the new PC with your account via the link I supplied on your other thread? If not you may be getting that message as NTL doesn't recognise your PC and is only giving a temporary IP address.

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 15:54
Hi Paul, I understand about the local connections (ie ethernet and usb) but why do I get this message about disconnection. I think it started when I installed Microsoft Office Professional 2003 during the week and received updates too.

Your IP address 81.111.187.xxx Your Proxy IP address 80.3.160.8
This is a Cosham Proxy Server

I've checked the network connections and I have:
broadband - My ISP - disconnected/firewalled WAN miniport (PPP0E)

Should I be worrying about this?

Edit: Last part of IP removed (Paul M)

Paul K
15-01-2006, 15:57
Are you connecting via ethernet now? It could just be an upgrade has upset it. Do you run any form of firewall and can you confirm your operating system?

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 16:06
Hi Paul. OS is Windows XP, running firewall included in XP. Not using ethernet on this PC yet as not sure if it will automatically switch over from USB. Do I have to re-register/load anything etc. I had to load a disk with the old machine.

Paul K
15-01-2006, 16:08
Follow the instructions I gave in the other thread and it should be fine, I take it nothing is connected to your ethernet at the moment hence the messages from windows which occur now as you have installed certain updates :)
Instructions for switching to Ethernet
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=662127&postcount=28
More info here that I would suggest you read through first and if you have any queries post before doing it. If it doesn't work though you can switch back to USB easily (Plug it back it lol)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 16:13
Follow the instructions I gave in the other thread and it should be fine, I take it nothing is connected to your ethernet at the moment hence the messages from windows which occur now as you have installed certain updates :)

I still have the broadband adapter from ethernet to USB. But not ethernet direct. What messages from windows do you get?:shrug:

Paul K
15-01-2006, 16:40
The one about no lan connection/ network cable unplugged. It's just telling you that nothing is plugged into your ethernet card/ port/
I take it you are connecting via USB adaptor and therefor via the USB port. Once you go directly to ethernet the message will go away as there will be a connection being made to your ethernet port.
You can turn the message off though if you decided to stay with USB lol

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 17:01
Paul. Lol, had to go through NTL tech support (India at a guess) because I kept getting temp ISP address which wouldn't let me register. Anyway got there in the end. Announcement: Loobyloo1 is now on ethernet. Thanks Paul.

Question: when I get the other PC set up with ethernet card do I have to register that pc seperately. Also if my daughter wants to use her laptop using my broadband connection, does we have to set anything for her to use it.

Paul K
15-01-2006, 17:07
If you want an easy way to share the connection between multiple computers then a router is the best way to do it. The router acts as a distribution point for the broadband connection and the PCs plug into it via ethernet cables.
We use one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000087H96/ref=br_lf_ce_2/202-6938123-6442247) routers but others swear by Linksys routers. Both are easy to use and set up and make connecting multiple PCs to one Broadband connection very easy.

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 17:19
Paul, My daughter has wireless connection with Telewest (Plymouth) but when she finally comes home from University will she be able to use it if I get a router? AND are they difficult to set up.

Paul K
15-01-2006, 17:24
Wireless connection would need a wireless version of the router but if you let us know what laptop it is we can look it up for you.
this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C1WO2/qid=1137345699/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/202-6938123-6442247) is the wireless version of the router I use, it also has 4 normal wired ports on it so that the 2 desktop computers can be wired to it normally via ethernet and the laptop can operate wirelessly from it. As to set up there are numerous people here who can walk you through any setup issues you might hit but since you would probably connect 2 out of 3 computers to it via ethernet you would more than likely have very few problems setting it up.

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 17:44
Paul, The system you use is exactly what I would require. Once the old PC is set up with ethernet this is the route (excuse the pun) I want to take. One day at a time though at the mo. Thanks for all your help. Bye :wavey: