PDA

View Full Version : Sky EPG Update

Neil
12-01-2006, 15:49
Sky have finally lifted the lid on the Sky EPG reshuffle & the new EPG version 4 software download date - the downloads start next week.

A Sky spokesperson has exclusively confirmed to Sky Digi Online that the EPG reshuffle AND the EPG version 4 software will download "next week into some boxes" and will then take "approx 2 weeks thereafter to complete."

The Sky spokesperson also confirmed that the download will include the "new 2-page EPG" suggesting that the EPG version 4 software will be downloaded at the same time."

http://www.media247.co.uk/skydigital/news.php

Chris
12-01-2006, 15:51
Superb news, I can't wait. There are certain aspects of the NTL EPG that I really miss (reordering channels, audible reminder, ability to see synopses of programmes on channels other than the one you're watching on the now-and-next view, ability to continue to see and hear a channel when viewing the full-screen EPG) ... if they throw in some of that I will be a very happy bunny.

quadplay
12-01-2006, 16:09
Sorry to disappoint, but...

reordering channels
Hmm, unlikely I think - Sky like their EPG the way they like it!
audible reminder
Quite possible! And you're right, it is one thing that's missing that's quite easy to implement I would imagine.
ability to see synopses of programmes on channels other than the one you're watching on the now-and-next view
Not possible due to the way Sky's EPG works!
ability to continue to see and hear a channel when viewing the full-screen EPG
See above!

Gareth
12-01-2006, 16:57
Crikey, the entire roll-out will take place over a 3-week period? That's impressive, imo.

I think the "ability to see synopses of programmes on channels other than the one you're watching on the now-and-next view" that Chris mentionned is the only thing I miss compared to the NTL EPG. Would be nice if it does get included.

RealDiamond
16-01-2006, 19:55
Channel 999 has updated press Red to see more details about the little changes to SKYs EPG . (ek four digit channel numbers for radio)

Rillington
22-01-2006, 23:56
The reordering is one of the few really good things about ntl. It's really helpful and saves a lot of time, esp now they ahve amde the reordering process a lot faster.

ian@huth
23-01-2006, 12:38
The first phase of the EPG change will take until 27th February to complete. The second phase will commence on the 28th February. The second phase will involve re-numbering of channels.

I have the first phase installed on one Sky+ box (Pace PVR2). The other box (Thomson PVR3) will get it this Wednesday I am led to believe. I particularly like the new favourites EPG where you can set up to 50 channels as favourites and display them in a seperate EPG cutting out all the cr@p that you are not interested in.

The ability to set recordings via SMS text message is said to be coming in the next few months.

andygrif
23-01-2006, 17:17
The reordering is one of the few really good things about ntl. It's really helpful and saves a lot of time, esp now they ahve amde the reordering process a lot faster.

I'd agree with you, I do miss that bit. Although apparently with this new Sky update, we'll have 50 channels in the favourites list, which is almost as good. Not as good...but almost.

The ability to set recordings via SMS text message is said to be coming in the next few months.

I mist say when I got my glossy booklet telling me about the new features, that stood out as pretty darn impressive! I guess we'll have to see just how much that's likely to set us back per text...personally for their 10 quid a month they get from me, I'd hope it was free...but I doubt it somehow!

spike7451
11-02-2006, 20:47
Bit of gen for you.The update has 'caused' a problem with Sky+ PVR2's in that the box will stop/fail recordings with a OSM & will need to be swapped out.
Spike

Chris
13-02-2006, 10:45
I finally got round to watching the Sky info channel yesterday - looks like the favourites option, as well as being increased to 50 channels, will now have its own EPG view. Still not quite as good as NTL but a whole lot better than it is now.

MadGamer
13-02-2006, 13:17
I have a question, our Sky+ box is gradually being updated with the updates and this is downstairs in the living room. Now mine which is upstairs in my bedroom (non Sky+) has not started updating yet, why is that?

Chris
13-02-2006, 13:35
I have a question, our Sky+ box is gradually being updated with the updates and this is downstairs in the living room. Now mine which is upstairs in my bedroom (non Sky+) has not started updating yet, why is that?

Different box models getting the update hit at different times perhaps? I expect they don't have the bandwidth to send everything at once. They may also wish to do it in phases to identify any problems and halt the roll-out if necessary.

I wouldn't worry. We haven't had our update yet (non Sky+). They did say 'throughout January and February', so they have a couple of weeks to go yet.

MadGamer
13-02-2006, 13:50

Different box models getting the update hit at different times perhaps? I expect they don't have the bandwidth to send everything at once. They may also wish to do it in phases to identify any problems and halt the roll-out if necessary.

I wouldn't worry. We haven't had our update yet (non Sky+). They did say 'throughout January and February', so they have a couple of weeks to go yet. Cheers for that, i sometimes wonder why they cant just do one adress with multipule boxes rather than do one update and then come back to it, but as you say its probably due to bandwidth.

Chris
13-02-2006, 14:56
Update: My box must have had the 'hit' overnight. When I switched it on earlier it was defaulted to the Sky Customer Info channel and sure enough, I have the new features. In fact I've already set up some additional favourites. 20 channels was never enough for me! :D

Acropolis
22-02-2006, 23:56
I wish Sky would stop ****ing around with the software on the box's.

My Sky+ was working perfectly well until they played with the software a few months back, then it went really slow, slow to change channels and go through the menu's and slow reacting to the remote control etc etc

I had the box swapped out recently and it was great as it was running the older software for a while and it worked again, not running slow and everything was nice, then it updated the software and went slow again, and now since the have changed the EPG it has got even worse, and when i ring Sky all they do is book a service call and send someone out, which i promptly cancel as there is nothing wrong with the box.

And as for changing the way to get into the recorded programmes on the Sky+, why did they have to mess with it, it worked fine as it was before, what they have done has made no real difference to the system what so ever so why bother messing with it. And if what someone mentioned is true about them renumbering hte channels then i will be really ****ed off and that will annoy the hell outta me. I know what channels numbers are it works as it is so why mess wiht it eh.

RealDiamond
26-02-2006, 00:29
They are changing it so The HDSKY+ box is the same as you, just you wont have any use for the red button on the EPG its for HD as for the channel number resort. It wont realy matter as you have 50 favourites programmed on the blue button. and that new fav 8 day guide. Havent you allready set your Favourites programmes to auto change in your personal planner section, now the green button.