PDA

View Full Version : Replacement modem?

tommyboy
10-01-2006, 19:37
Wanting to set up a wireless network, but need to change the connection to the PC from USB to ethernet. Couldn't get ethernet to work at first, then discovered twiddling and moving the wire around got the light to come on the odd time. Thought the wire was broke inside so bought another one, same thing happened so it's the ethernet port on the modem that's the problem. Should they be able to replace it no problem, or will i have to pay? I don't mind paying a bit, but obviously nothing extortionate. Also would they want the old one back? as it was trodden on ages ago and the top is kinda caved in, still works via USB though.
Thanks

UncleBooBoo
10-01-2006, 19:46
NTL will replace any faulty equiptment for free!

And as your modem has a faulty eithernet port then yes it will be replaced unless they think the fault is or was caused by you or your actions then in such a case a charge will no doubt be made.

Even if you purchased the modem they have to replace it as you cannot install your own anymore, only one supplied by NTL.

NTL will take away your old modem unless it's owned by you! If it was purchased by you then it is legally your property unless they are willing to let you keep the replacment in exchange for taking yours. If they replace your equiptment remember the new equiptment belongs to NTL and must be returned to them when you finish using the service it was provided to you for.

tommyboy
14-01-2006, 01:06
Well i rang them but they need my dad present as it's in his name, so waiting on him to come round now. They will send out an engineer to sort it which i don't understand, its a simple case of swapping out the modem, which could be done by post. I had a thread about this on thedvdforums as changing from USB to ethernet was the first step in getting a wireless network set up. One of the guys there said some NTL tech guys on here helped him out, e.g. they sent him a replacement modem and he didn't need to bother with the engineer getting sent out. I don't mind paying for one, as it could of been it getting trodden on that's caused the problem. Thing is that it's difficult to arrange someone to be at home during the day, as i guess they won't send someone out at night, and i'm the only one in the house who could explain the problem to the guy, so i'm a bit stuck. Bit of a long shot but if anyone could help me out that way id be eternally grateful.
Thanks