PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XL

gazzae
09-01-2006, 14:11
Not long to go now.

Super Bowl XL kicks off in Detroit on the 5th February. It is live on Sky Sports and ITV. Will the Patriots become the first NFL team to win three consecutive Super Bowls, or will Manning finally be able to transfer his form from the regular season into the playoffs? Will the Seahawks finally win a playoff game, or will the current Bears emulate their 85 counterparts

Currently the season is at the divisional playoff stage. In the AFC the Pittsburgh Steelers travel to Indianapolis to face the Colts and the New England Patriots travel to face the Denver Broncos. In the NFC the Washington Redskins travel to face the Seattle Seahawks and the Carolina Panthers travel to cold Chicago to face the Bears.

I think Super Bowl will be contested between the Patriots and the Seahawks, with the Patriots to win.

Who do you think will be there? Or should the question be, do you really care?;)

Chris
09-01-2006, 14:19
Despite your passionate introduction to the whole business, I'm afraid the question for me is 'do I care?' - and the answer is 'no'. It's funny how America can export technology, movies, TV and its armed forces round the whole world, but their spectator sports just leave me cold. I have never understood the attraction of over-complicated rugby played by men in spandex and crash helmets.

gazzae
09-01-2006, 14:26
Despite your passionate introduction to the whole business, I'm afraid the question for me is 'do I care?' - and the answer is 'no'. It's funny how America can export technology, movies, TV and its armed forces round the whole world, but their spectator sports just leave me cold. I have never understood the attraction of over-complicated rugby played by men in spandex and crash helmets.

Thats exactly what I would have said 6 or 7 years ago. Have you ever watched a game? If so then fair enough, but if you haven't then give it a try, you ever know.

By the way, Britain has its own American Football league - http://www.gridironuk.co.uk/

ScaredWebWarrior
09-01-2006, 14:28
Who do you think will be there? Or should the question be, do you really care?;)As a 49'ers supporter (well, used to be, when Joe Montana was the best QB!) if they're not there, then unless it's screened at a civil hour which fits in with having to go to work the next day, then I won't care at all.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

I have never understood the attraction of over-complicated rugby played by men in spandex and crash helmets.How well do you know the game?

Once you understand the rules, and can spot where the ball goes (not always easy to see where the hand-off went. lol) it is a very exciting game indeed. Lots of tense drama and great athletic skill.

Chris
09-01-2006, 14:28
Thats exactly what I would have said 6 or 7 years ago. Have you ever watched a game? If so then fair enough, but if you haven't then give it a try, you ever know.

By the way, Britain has its own American Football league - http://www.gridironuk.co.uk/

Indeed I have, I had a girlfriend years ago who was a fanatic. I found it tortuous (the relationship as well as the game, we didn't go out for long :D ).

ScaredWebWarrior
09-01-2006, 14:30
By the way, Britain has its own American Football league - http://www.gridironuk.co.uk/ There's something vaguely strange about British 'American' Football, as it's neither really British, nor much American.

Saaf_laandon_mo

I couldnt understand American Football until someone bought me a copy of John Madden on my console. Once I knew what was going on I started watching some games on TV, and although I dont go out of my way to watch it (due to the late hours its on) every now and then I have tuned in to watch a match and its been great.

gazzae
As a 49'ers supporter (well, used to be, when Joe Montana was the best QB!) if they're not there, then unless it's screened at a civil hour which fits in with having to go to work the next day, then I won't care at all.

I'm afraid you will be waiting a few years before you even see the niners anywhere near the playoffs. And thats with them being in a poor division!

ScaredWebWarrior
09-01-2006, 14:38
I'm afraid you will be waiting a few years before you even see the niners anywhere near the playoffs. And thats with them being in a poor division!Like I said - it was never the same after JM left...

gooner4life
09-01-2006, 15:12
Excellent, I'm on a nightshift on the 5th of Feb, this will definately be watched, I make a point of watching the Superbowl anyway but it's just a bonus that i'll get to watch it on a 60" screen and get paid for it as well lol

Acathla
09-01-2006, 15:13
well i have had my holiday booked since the end of last year's superbowl!

gazzae
15-01-2006, 12:49
I think Super Bowl will be contested between the Patriots and the Seahawks, with the Patriots to win.

Well looks like my prediction was wrong. The Patriots were knocked out by the Broncos last night, looks like Tom Brady isn't infallible in the playoffs after all. In the other game last night the Seahawks beat the Skins to advance, finally winning a playoff game, but they made it hard for themselves.

gazzae
16-01-2006, 09:50
What a fantastic game the Steelers, Colts was last night! The Steelers had a 4th quarter lead of 21-3 but the Colts came back to close the gap to 21-18 - this included a very controversial decision to overrule an interception. This was interesting in that the officials on the field ruled it an interception but the Colts' coach challenged the play and on video review the ref overturned the call - a decision that the majority of people view as the wrong one.
So game at 21-18 and the colts have the ball with 2 minutes left. Manning is sacked twice and the Steelers get the ball and the game looks over. They hand off to Bettis - The Bus - who then fumbles and Harper, who was stabbed in the leg by his wife the night before the game!, recovers for the Colts and looks certain to score, only a last gasp tackle by the Steelers QB stops him! Its all down to the leagues most accurate kicker to score from 46 yards to tie the game and sent it into OT. He shanks terribly and Steelers win.

So the conference finals are between...

AFC
Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos

NFC
Carolina Panthers at Seattle Seahawks

The winners contest the Super Bowl.

Chris
16-01-2006, 10:25
What a fantastic game the Steelers, Colts was last night! The Steelers had a 4th quarter lead of 21-3 but the Colts came back to close the gap to 21-18 - this included a very controversial decision to overrule an interception. This was interesting in that the officials on the field ruled it an interception but the Colts' coach challenged the play and on video review the ref overturned the call - a decision that the majority of people view as the wrong one.
So game at 21-18 and the colts have the ball with 2 minutes left. Manning is sacked twice and the Steelers get the ball and the game looks over. They hand off to Bettis - The Bus - who then fumbles and Harper, who was stabbed in the leg by his wife the night before the game!, recovers for the Colts and looks certain to score, only a last gasp tackle by the Steelers QB stops him! Its all down to the leagues most accurate kicker to score from 46 yards to tie the game and sent it into OT. He shanks terribly and Steelers win.

So the conference finals are between...

AFC
Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos

NFC
Carolina Panthers at Seattle Seahawks

The winners contest the Super Bowl.

Any chance of us getting that in English? :confused: :p: :D

gazzae
16-01-2006, 10:27
Any chance of us getting that in English? :confused: :p: :D

;) A great Sunday nights entertainment.

gazzae
23-01-2006, 09:13
Well its all decided. The Pittsburgh Steelers took the AFC title last night with a 34-17 win over the Denver Broncos. In doing this they became the first 6th seed team to reach the Super Bowl.
In the NFC, the Seattle Seahawks took the title with a 34-14 win over the Carolina Panthers.

The Pittsburgh Steelers will play the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL on the 5th Feb.

Lew
05-02-2006, 17:22
I see Sky have managed to find yet another way to shaft cable viewersââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,17-1210823,00.html

In Detroit is Skyââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s commentary team of Nick Halling and former Philadelphia Eagle Cecil Martin.

There will also be regular reports and interviews from Sophie Blake, who will be at the NFLââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s star-studded Super Bash III from the Shepherds Bush Empire.

Enhanced options for Sky digital customers include the ABC commentary featuring Al Michaels and broadcasting legend John Madden, a special Super Bowl FanZone, rolling highlights, live game statistics, live game summary and key match-ups.

Great! So cable viewers have to put up with Nick bloody Halling's commentary? I guess I'll watch the international feed on ITV1 instead. Thanks a bloody bunch, Sky! :mad: