PDA

View Full Version : News server dead

tony
09-01-2006, 10:34
Seems like the NG's have died again, stopped yesterday and now it is stop start although mostly stop.

sleepless
09-01-2006, 18:51
Agree, they are quite poor at the moment.

grubbymitts
10-01-2006, 06:25
getting the same problem on premium news servers as well, seems like NTL is borking access.

basil
10-01-2006, 07:46
yer recommend newshosting.com

Bill C
10-01-2006, 09:11
getting the same problem on premium news servers as well, seems like NTL is borking access.

Funny that. I get full speed on Newshosting.

ChutneyFerret
10-01-2006, 13:34
Agreed - the NTL speeds have been awful just recently. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence that this happens just as they remove the cap from 1mb and 2mb customer and that NTL aren't going to throttle newsgroup access in future.

I am contemplating trying a proper usenet supplier for a month or so until NTL get their servers sorted (or not) and Newshosting look like the best deal. There have been a few people here posting that they heard NTL and Newshosting don't get along too well, but only the original poster has first hand experience of it and several others say they're using it no problems. Anyone else actually experienced problems with Newshosting or can point me towards other people that have (maybe in other threads or other sites?)

Cheers.

mcmanic
12-01-2006, 15:50
http://www.usenetserver.com/ is fine and cheap, been using them for 3 years now, they usually have 1 major outage a year, but its never really been a problem for me

IanUK
12-01-2006, 16:23
NTL Newsserver completely dead now, doesn't even connect :(

grubbymitts
13-01-2006, 08:47
eeek. NewsHosting works great for me. Thanks Bill C (among others) for the headsup on that one.

www.newshosting.com (http://www.newshosting.com)

Sherlock614
13-01-2006, 17:26
Recent Newshosting joinee here also ;)

Can't fault the service or speed so far, very impressed :D

(Thanks also to Mr SnoopZ from me) ;)

Chicken
13-01-2006, 22:09
NTL newsgroups have gone dead for me today. No response. Nothing at all. Not a sausage. Bog all.

grubbymitts
13-01-2006, 22:27
seems to be working now, although it appears to be slow in receiving the files that are propagating across Usenet.

Swipe
15-01-2006, 10:25
The news server is still dead for me :(

Questor
15-01-2006, 15:30
News servers are alive but not well. The headers download ok but the d/l's are "bursty" and keep stalling and restarting (been like this for about a month).

iain_herts
15-01-2006, 15:54
for £8.50 why dont u sign up with newshosting unlimited downloads IMHO this is far better than NTL can ever offer i only used the NTL newsgroups wen i first started and then they were so bad so went for a payed 1 with giga news and new change to newshosting.

Swipe
15-01-2006, 16:59
News servers are alive but not well. The headers download ok but the d/l's are "bursty" and keep stalling and restarting (been like this for about a month).

I've just tried again now and this is the first time I've been able to even download headers for 3 days. It seems to be downloading ok for now but I won't hold my breath.

grubbymitts
15-01-2006, 21:07
Newshosting is having a bit of a bork this weekend, so I tried NTL and, yes, it was awful. It kept stopping, starting, slowing down, speeding up.

SnoopZ
15-01-2006, 21:21
Newshosting is having a bit of a bork this weekend, so I tried NTL and, yes, it was awful. It kept stopping, starting, slowing down, speeding up.

Yes, can't always login on Newshosting this weekend.

Bill C
15-01-2006, 21:22

Newshosting seems to be ok now :tu:

Jonboy
15-01-2006, 23:59
ntl news groups have allways been crap and i dont expect they will ever get better the old saying is true you get what u pay for best advice go for a paid news group service cos u aint never going to get good service off ntl news groups they are a pain in ntl's side otherwise they would have fixed the problem years ago

grubbymitts
16-01-2006, 06:32
Newshosting seems to be ok now :tu:

Connection is fine with Newshosting - but still no files are complete

edit: bizarrely - if you download headers they are showing as incomplete, but if you use an NZB then completion rate for posts over the weekend seems to be normal. Weird.

basil
16-01-2006, 07:35
dont worry newshosting have just been having some problems. I had trouble connecting on sat, but it was fine about 5 minutes later

Spool issue

01/14/06 4:00PM EST
We're currently having trouble with one of our backend spool servers. This is causing random connection issues and problems fetching articles. We're currently working to resolve the problem.
UPDATE: Things should be working better, but not 100%. We'll have someone on site ASAP to investigate the problem further.