PDA

View Full Version : Please dont laugh...

ic14
09-11-2003, 21:55
Whats the best way to ask a girl to go out with you?

Im never very good with things like this.

Ive known her for a while as a friend and id like to see if she wants to go any further.

i feel embarssed now........:blush:

Graham F
09-11-2003, 22:04
send her a link to this thread :p

The best way is just to come out and ask, if you can't do this face to face ring and ask her

Russ
09-11-2003, 22:07
If you can be considered her friend then you're more than halfway there.

First of all, always respect a woman's right to say 'no', or that she just wants to be mates.

My advice would be to start doing things with her (no silly, not that!!), you know, going out to the cinema etc and spending more and more time with her. She'll make it clear if you've got the green light :)

Bex
09-11-2003, 22:10
i agree with russ.......maybe go out a few times to cinemas and stuff with her, maybe with a couple of other mates to begin with, and then just the two of you
or just ask her if she would consider u as more than just a mate?!

Maggy
09-11-2003, 22:15
some good advice there. :tu:

incog.good luck!!!!

ic14
09-11-2003, 22:17
Thanks russ and bexy! :)

Hmm now what film......

Ramrod
09-11-2003, 22:19
I used to just ask them out:shrug:

....ie. 'would you like to come and have a meal/to the cinema' etc. I never used chat up lines because they would have been too corny.:D

Tricky
09-11-2003, 22:41
Thanks russ and bexy! :)

Hmm now what film......

recommend not going for an all out shoot'em type unless you know she's into that type of movie. If she going to accept the trip to the cinema then it's only polite to let her choose. And when she asks what you'd normally go for "BE HONEST" and then add "but it's your choice I don't mind" (you might mind but don't let it be known - PS. Don't fall asleep in the movies either (tends to put em off))

Good luck

swoop101
09-11-2003, 22:44
Hmm now what film......

Take her to see NEMO, it's very funny and should get you off on the right foot.

If she enjoys her night out with you the lady will look forward to your next outing.

Good luck.

Swallow your nerves and DO IT :D

Russ
09-11-2003, 22:55
Nemo would definately be good. Be prepared for the possibilty of going to see some romantic slushy stuff. Remember, you need to be a gentleman without looking like a total wimp. Listen to her and NEVER let your eyes wander when she's talking to you. If she asks your opinion on another woman never ever say anything positive about her, even if it's true. Say something non-commital like "She's just not my type".

If she asks you to decide what film to watch, don't throw it back at her by saying that you insist she choses: women tend to like a decisive man. When she talks, make sure all your attention is on her and look her in the eye for a nano-second longer than you would normally. Any more than this and you can expect a restraining order within a week.

If you DO end up going on a date, don't call her until 3 days after. Any less and you'll come across as desperate. Any more and she'll think you're playing games with her.

Be romantic yet masculine, be assertive yet considerate. Women seem to love all that pants :D

ic14
09-11-2003, 23:01
Be prepared for the possibilty of going to see some romantic slushy stuff. Dont know if theres any romantic films out yet... Although theres that new hugh grant film comeing out....

If you DO end up going on a date, don't call her until 3 days after. Any less and you'll come across as desperate. Any more and she'll think you're playing games with her.

Didnt know it was all so complicated!

Russ
09-11-2003, 23:05
Dont know if theres any romantic films out yet... Although theres that new hugh grant film comeing out....

Anything with Hugh Grant in it is going to be a winner (perhaps except Divine Brown :spin: )

Didnt know it was all so complicated!

Son you have no idea - welcome to the world of the woman :eek:

kronas
09-11-2003, 23:25
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ok now thats over im late in to this thread so i shall just go over what i think that will help always be polite and courteous dont crack jokes and look like an a*se just keep it straightforward dont push her in to doing things make suggestions and if she likes them come to an agreement the movies thing is a great first step and for future steps you want to make get to know her and after a few trips pop the question you could also go out for something to eat in a respectable establishment not too posh or anything somewhere decent not macdonalds or burger king if you understand me

Son you have no idea - welcome to the world of the woman :eek:

oh yeah it gets worse living in a house with the majorty being women :spin:

Paul
09-11-2003, 23:42
If you DO end up going on a date, don't call her until 3 days after. Any less and you'll come across as desperate. Any more and she'll think you're playing games with her.Three Days !!

I found this hard to swallow so I asked my other half - she said if I had waited that long after our first date she would have been extremley mad with me. :eek:

danielf
10-11-2003, 00:15
I can't believe noone came up with this: Just be yourself... I know it can be nerve wrecking asking her out, but if she agrees to go on a date, just be yourself. You won't have to pretend!

Maggy
10-11-2003, 00:22

ok now thats over im late in to this thread so i shall just go over what i think that will help always be polite and courteous dont crack jokes and look like an a*se just keep it straightforward dont push her in to doing things make suggestions and if she likes them come to an agreement the movies thing is a great first step and for future steps you want to make get to know her and after a few trips pop the question you could also go out for something to eat in a respectable establishment not too posh or anything somewhere decent not macdonalds or burger king if you understand me

You know what I'm going to suggest don't you? Yep! Read the sentence and when you take a breath insert a comma or a full stop. ;)

Incog. :Peaceman:

kronas
10-11-2003, 00:22
I can't believe noone came up with this: Just be yourself... I know it can be nerve wrecking asking her out, but if she agrees to go on a date, just be yourself. You won't have to pretend!

yes i agree with that be yourself but there are certain elements......

where you cant be 'yourself' around a women because it can be just plain rude

i dont mean covertly change yourself be a diffarent person but be considerate :)

Chris
10-11-2003, 00:28

hear hear ... this is the soundest advice in the whole thread, IMHO. This girl is a friend already, she's going to wonder what's up if you start acting in any way differently than you do normally when you're together. You need to be honest and talk to her, just how you normally would about serious stuff. The only thing I would be careful of is don't broach the subject while you're somewhere she might feel trapped or obliged to behave in a certain way (like in your car, if you have one). Her home territory, or somewhere neutral, is best.

Relax, be honest, but don't come on all heavy.

EDIT: And don't forget to tell us all how it goes!

homealone
10-11-2003, 01:19

bugga my spell checka went rong - but always use a comma:D

kronas
10-11-2003, 01:22
bugga my spell checka went rong - but always use a comma:D

ok :Peaceman:

ok now thats over im late in to this thread, so i shall just go over what i think that will help, always be polite and courteous, dont crack jokes and look like an a*se just keep it straightforward, dont push her in to doing things make suggestions and if she likes them come to an agreement, the movies thing is a great first step and for future steps you want to make get to know her, and after a few trips pop the question, you could also go out for something to eat in a respectable establishment not too posh or anything somewhere decent, not macdonalds or burger king if you understand me

better ? :p

homealone
10-11-2003, 01:35

ok now thats over im late in to this thread, so i shall just go over what i think that will help, always be polite and courteous, dont crack jokes and look like an a*se just keep it straightforward, dont push her in to doing things make suggestions and if she likes them come to an agreement, the movies thing is a great first step and for future steps you want to make get to know her, and after a few trips pop the question, you could also go out for something to eat in a respectable establishment not too posh or anything somewhere decent, not macdonalds or burger king if you understand me

better ? :p

yes - much:) - nice one Kronas - if I was the girl I would appreciate you had taken the trouble to punctuate your message - I am not taking the p**s - just commenting.:)

Paul
10-11-2003, 02:21

better ? :pSome capital letters would be nice .... :erm: :)

kronas
10-11-2003, 02:23
Some capital letters would be nice .... :erm: :)

oh come on im not that bad someone is always picking on me :( :cry:

Paul
10-11-2003, 02:32
oh come on im not that bad someone is always picking on me :( :cry:Hmm, no comma, apostrophe ..... oops sorry, I don't want to pick on you even more ;) :D

homealone
10-11-2003, 02:45
oh come on im not that bad someone is always picking on me :( :cry:

not "picking on you" - lol

we just don't want to mis-understand you, - punctuation helps clarify your thoughts, imho?

Graham
10-11-2003, 02:51
Returning to the subject of the thread: of course you could always try the Kevin "Bloody" Wilson technique (warning it's rude!):

http://www.lorry.com/Docs/Poems/Other/kevcourting.html

Drodney
10-11-2003, 09:35
I think it also depends on how you know the person, Family Friend? school? work? etc

Maggy
10-11-2003, 16:14
Well done kronas for being a good sport. :luv: incog.

basa
10-11-2003, 16:34

Tell me 'bout it !!!!! :eek: :eek: Me with a wife and two daughters (oh and a female dog and cat !!) :knock:

Bex
10-11-2003, 17:16
Nemo would definately be good. Be prepared for the possibilty of going to see some romantic slushy stuff. Remember, you need to be a gentleman without looking like a total wimp. Listen to her and NEVER let your eyes wander when she's talking to you. If she asks your opinion on another woman never ever say anything positive about her, even if it's true. Say something non-commital like "She's just not my type".

If she asks you to decide what film to watch, don't throw it back at her by saying that you insist she choses: women tend to like a decisive man. When she talks, make sure all your attention is on her and look her in the eye for a nano-second longer than you would normally. Any more than this and you can expect a restraining order within a week.

Be romantic yet masculine, be assertive yet considerate. Women seem to love all that pants :D

:nono: dont call her for three days? russ i am totally and utterly shocked

to the thread starter i agree with the others be yourself, meant to say it before but thought it was a tad obvious :blush:

Steve H
10-11-2003, 20:08
Intolerable Cruelty is a pretty romanticatty film , not very good tho :D

ic14
11-11-2003, 20:02
still havent managed to ask....
Tomorrow though, enough messing around im just going to ask out right

Maggy
11-11-2003, 20:08
i wonder if she has guessed already?

incog.;)

Bex
12-11-2003, 14:00
still havent managed to ask....
Tomorrow though, enough messing around im just going to ask out right

hope you have asked her.....as coggy said she has prolly guessed anyway, us women are generally fairly intitive.....men just think we arent :p

ic14
12-11-2003, 23:44
OK i rung her up tonight and asked her if you wanted to go to cinema sometime.

She said YES! but after xmas.. :(
Can understand though, working hard to get money to buy prezzies.... Makes me think i need a job :)

danielf
13-11-2003, 00:00

Can understand though, working hard to get money to buy prezzies.... Makes me think i need a job :)

Nice one! I hope it all works out. ;)

Bex
13-11-2003, 11:45

well it's a good sign she wants to go out to the cinema with you :D patience is a virtue ;)