PDA

View Full Version : NTL fails to recognise modem dialling tones

never_home
07-01-2006, 15:41
Hi
I am unable to fax from my PC because the NTL exchange fails to recognise the dialling tones from my modem. Occasionally some tones are detected which cause an error message from the exchange "The number you have dialled has not been recognized. Please hang up and try again."

I have previously got around this by dialling the first "0" from the PC, and all remaining numbers from my handset. Unfortunately the new handset I have cuts off as soon as the PC modem comes on-line.

Does anyone know if this is common to all NTL exchanges, whether it affects all modems (it does for both of mine) and if anything can be done about it?

Many thanks
:Yikes:
Duncan

maverick
07-01-2006, 15:50
Try putting commas in between each dialled number,this will slow down the speed of the dial out.

never_home
07-01-2006, 16:11
Thanks but this doesn't work, the dialling tone just continues on.

Is there a way of using the computer keyboard to generate a dialling tone? My feeling is that the duration of the dialling tone is too short for NTL to recognise.

Does this make any sense???

Thanks

dragon
07-01-2006, 16:24
Thanks but this doesn't work, the dialling tone just continues on.

Is there a way of using the computer keyboard to generate a dialling tone? My feeling is that the duration of the dialling tone is too short for NTL to recognise.

Does this make any sense???

Thanks

funny becuase ive sent a fax from a pc modem before on NTL with no problems, ive also used 2 other pcs modems on an NTL line with no troubles

maybe something is wrong with your settings for the modem? :confused:

Stuart
07-01-2006, 17:02
My feeling is that the duration of the dialling tone is too short for NTL to recognise.

Doubtful. The signals used for dialling are an internationally recognised standard.

Is the line itself faulty?

never_home
07-01-2006, 18:26
Is the line itself faulty?

Hard to tell.

It doesn't like autodialling from some phones and I don't have much faith in their equipment. The modem is old (v90) but used to work fine on my BT line.

I suspect it isn't my equipment but NTLs line or exchange. I'm glad to hear that another member has dialled out without problem. Armed with that, I can approach NTL for assistance.

Thanks again

dragon
09-01-2006, 17:32
maybe if you called NTL they could do a test on the line? :erm:

handyman
09-01-2006, 18:41
maybe if you called NTL they could do a test on the line? :erm:

They cannot do a line test from the switch as ntl's network is HFC. (Hybrid fibre coax) The only line as such is the one from the cabinet in the street to the home. This is why ntl's lines are as a rule better than bt's. To get the same type of testing that bt are capable of would require switch type equipment in the cab, which would either be to expensive or make the cabs too big.

Modems are crap at dialling for the sake of a few quid why not pop over to ebuyer.com and get a new one. At least you could use it to prove the fault. Failing that try using it on a different line or using phone dialler to test it some more.

dragon
09-01-2006, 21:55
They cannot do a line test from the switch as ntl's network is HFC. (Hybrid fibre coax) The only line as such is the one from the cabinet in the street to the home. This is why ntl's lines are as a rule better than bt's. To get the same type of testing that bt are capable of would require switch type equipment in the cab, which would either be to expensive or make the cabs too big.

Modems are crap at dialling for the sake of a few quid why not pop over to ebuyer.com and get a new one. At least you could use it to prove the fault. Failing that try using it on a different line or using phone dialler to test it some more.

I knew ntl's network was fibre to the cab although i do admit to not thinking about what effect it would have had on their abilty to carry out line tests. :dunce:

and as for modems thesedays they can be had dirt cheap, when i gave my last pc to a relative, they don't have broadband so i popped a pci modem in there for them, cost me less than £10 and that was from a computer shop ;) so it might be worth getting a new modem to try it with.

Angua
09-01-2006, 22:02
I have only ever used a PC and an NTL line to send a fax, never a problem.

Are you using the windoze Fax?

Visitor
11-01-2006, 16:32
In the old days :) you tell the fax program to send manually (No dial) and just dial the number on a phone, soon as you get the fax tone, hit send on the fax program.

My Old Us robotics V90 works fine on NTL

mikey
11-01-2006, 18:41
You could try changing the dialing mode from tone to pulse.
Also, unplug ALL other equipment from the line while checking, and if you are really desperate, try plugging it directly into the master socket rather than an extension.

Nedkelly
11-01-2006, 21:36
:erm: I have seen this before but in one case putting commas in between the numbers helped.Also changing the line settings on the cmux card helped in a other case .:confused:

simbr
02-02-2006, 14:57
Doubtful. The signals used for dialling are an internationally recognised standard.
Is equipment in the UK still supposed to be BABT approved before connecting to a telephone line?

Mace
03-02-2006, 18:44
Hi
I am unable to fax from my PC because the NTL exchange fails to recognise the dialling tones from my modem. Occasionally some tones are detected which cause an error message from the exchange "The number you have dialled has not been recognized. Please hang up and try again."

I have previously got around this by dialling the first "0" from the PC, and all remaining numbers from my handset. Unfortunately the new handset I have cuts off as soon as the PC modem comes on-line.

Does anyone know if this is common to all NTL exchanges, whether it affects all modems (it does for both of mine) and if anything can be done about it?

Many thanks
:Yikes:
Duncan

does it work for dial up internet?

jrhnewark
05-02-2006, 02:08
Is equipment in the UK still supposed to be BABT approved before connecting to a telephone line?Yes, as far as I know. Not entirely sure though - one would hope so!