PDA

View Full Version : Internet modem help NTL

weepaulz
05-01-2006, 22:47
This is my problem -
need help installing the net on to my laptop from an ntl disk. tried ethernet first kept returning error message now tried usb cable and it wants me to find usb driver file 'usbcm.sys' on USB Cable modem 351000 Driver Disk needed. I dont have a disk?? Any one any idea on how to bypass all these errors and get my laptop on the net!

This is when trying to connect my NTL BB to my laptop from my PC.

Doesnt work for usb or ethernet, and dont seem to have the drivers it wants/needs.

Anyone out there that can help me? Driving me round the bend! :(

Thanks

Pauline

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

This is error I get when trying to connect to ethernet...

A faulty or non functional adaptor has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adaptors before continuing with installation. If this is a USB NIC that has been removed, please physciallu plug it back in.(thats when ethernet is connected and d/c'd.)

Globespan USB ADSL LAN modem
Click the 'fix' button to correct the problem.

Error number 23

p.s thats on the NTL cable installation process.

Stuart
05-01-2006, 23:01
:welcome: to the forum.

Moved to NTL Broadband forum.

MovedGoalPosts
05-01-2006, 23:07
:welcome: to cable forum :D

I'd persevere with getting the ethernet working, rather than the USB. That is unless you beleive the network card in your laptop is faulty.

Start by powering off the modem, disconnecting your laptop from any network cables and reboot the lappy into windows safe mode (F7 during the startup, before the first windows logo). Now go into control panel > Performance & Maintenance (windows XP) > system > hardware > device manager. right click and delete any networking connections.
Connect the ethernet cable to the laptop and reboot it normally. The laptop should now find the drivers it needs (or prompt you for the laptop manufacturer / windows install disk), and once loaded should get you up and running.

Marge
05-01-2006, 23:11
Is it definately a modem supplied by ntl as "Globespan USB ADSL LAN modem" doesn't sound familiar ??

weepaulz
05-01-2006, 23:31
I had an AOL BB modem installed because I used it at my boyfriends house. I have now uninstalled it, incase that was causing more problems...

Is there anyway you can restore factory settings without breaking my laptop that could help my internet problems?

MovedGoalPosts
05-01-2006, 23:42
You can reformat your laptop - basically insert the original windows CD that was supplied with it - but if you do, you will loose all data and other programs that you had installed on it, so you must make sure you have backup copies. But reformatting should be a last resort.

From what you say above, it sounds like some of the AOL software is still hiding on the laptop. Going into control panel > add/ remove programs: remove anythin AOL related. That's in addition to clearing the drivers for network stuff I've said above.

Finally, assuming you are using Internet Explorer, from the menu options select Tools > Internet Options > Connections ensure never dial a connection is selected, then on the LAN Settigs tab make sure detect settings automatically is set.

nffc
05-01-2006, 23:49
Which laptop is it?

And that's definitely asking for an ADSL modem driver which will NOT work with ntl. Remove the Globespan entry from DevMan, reboot and then install the ntl modem, disk first if using USB - if possible.

You can always remaster the LT but it's probably best to try and hack the modem into the LT before doing that.

If you go to Control Panel (classic) > Network Connections, what connections are listed?

weepaulz
06-01-2006, 00:02
I have it set up mostly I think, have got further than I ever have to the point it was installing internet explorer 5.5 but a wee hiccup - I have one network adaptor set to dhcp, think i done that earlier on by mistake but forget where it is, I go to change it? Any ideas...?

curioustech
06-01-2006, 00:04
In regards to the first question on USB if the PC says 'usbcm.sys' on USB Cable modem 351000 Driver Disk needed. then all that is needed to do is click ok and then specify the location as D:\drivers\ambit\2kxp\usbcm.sys. "D:\" being the CD drive on the laptop. then again u need to click OK and the drivers will get installed automatically

---------- Post added at 05:34 ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 ----------

In regards to the first question on USB if the PC says 'usbcm.sys' on USB Cable modem 351000 Driver Disk needed. then all that is needed to do is click ok and then specify the location as D:\drivers\ambit\2kxp\usbcm.sys. "D:\" being the CD drive on the laptop. then again u need to click OK and the drivers will get installed automatically:dunce:

weepaulz
06-01-2006, 00:06
In regards to the first question on USB if the PC says 'usbcm.sys' on USB Cable modem 351000 Driver Disk needed. then all that is needed to do is click ok and then specify the location as D:\drivers\ambit\2kxp\usbcm.sys. "D:\" being the CD drive on the laptop. then again u need to click OK and the drivers will get installed automatically

---------- Post added at 05:34 ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 ----------

In regards to the first question on USB if the PC says 'usbcm.sys' on USB Cable modem 351000 Driver Disk needed. then all that is needed to do is click ok and then specify the location as D:\drivers\ambit\2kxp\usbcm.sys. "D:\" being the CD drive on the laptop. then again u need to click OK and the drivers will get installed automatically:dunce:

yeah sorry mate should have kept you's updated got that bit sorted thanks hehe.

Now just to change network adaptor from dhcp...

Chris W
06-01-2006, 00:10
yeah sorry mate should have kept you's updated got that bit sorted thanks hehe.

Now just to change network adaptor from dhcp...

urm...

ntl use dynamic ip addressing, so if you specify an ip you won't get online.

unless you are running a home network and trying to configure the local part of this

weepaulz
06-01-2006, 00:12
Yeah i know, ive done that much messing about I dunno if I did specify an IP. Only error is DHCP release/renew failed.
You have 1 Network Adaptor(s) set to DHCP

USB Cable Modem 351000 - packet scheduler miniport

Retry

MovedGoalPosts
06-01-2006, 00:27
You are posting this from another PC, how? Is this also on your ntl broadband? If so, unless you have a router, or are using internet connection sharing, you cannot connect the lappy simultaneously as another PC to cabel broadband.

You will need to power off the modem, completely unplug any network connections from the main PC to the modem, plug in the lappy network connection, now power on the modem, let the modem settle down, and only then power on and boot up the lappy.

To get the PC back on line, you have to go through the entire system again. To avoid that hassle set up internet connection sharing or get a router for a home network.

weepaulz
06-01-2006, 00:33
You are posting this from another PC, how? Is this also on your ntl broadband? If so, unless you have a router, or are using internet connection sharing, you cannot connect the lappy simultaneously as another PC to cabel broadband.

You will need to power off the modem, completely unplug any network connections from the main PC to the modem, plug in the lappy network connection, now power on the modem, let the modem settle down, and only then power on and boot up the lappy.

To get the PC back on line, you have to go through the entire system again. To avoid that hassle set up internet connection sharing or get a router for a home network.

hehe I know mate its a nightmare only using this until I get my laptop set up then i'll get a router, just been unplugging it an powering off etc, just need the settings set away from DHCP and i should be jamming, any idea how?

MovedGoalPosts
06-01-2006, 00:41
But surely you want your netwrk settings to have DHCP enabled :confused:
IP address (DNS) should also be dynamically allocated byt the router.
All of those settings should be available from Network settings and right clicking properties of the connection

weepaulz
06-01-2006, 00:48
But surely you want your netwrk settings to have DHCP enabled :confused:
IP address (DNS) should also be dynamically allocated byt the router.
All of those settings should be available from Network settings and right clicking properties of the connection

I dont know as far as NTL are concerned they wont let me go any firther because the modem is set to dhcp.

---------- Post added at 00:48 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

The firewall was on now I have d/c'd it, it says connected on my network connections, think I still have to go thru with Installing NTL