PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Cable Adapter Problem?

loobyloo1
04-01-2006, 16:52
My first post and please be gentle with me. I've been having some terrible problems with my PC, and to give you the shorter version after having numerous people taking it apart and not finding anything wrong.... I just cannot stay online. Information needed from Sticky! I have 2Mb Broadband which I have had since the beginning of the year and over the last two months have got online for a few minutes and then the keyboard and mouse freeze. I have spoken to NTL technical advisers who have just checked the cable and said that it must be my machine.... I have a cable from the set top box to a socket and then another cable to the PC with an USB adapter half way along it. I am grasping at straws here but could there be a problem with the adapter, or is there something we are all overlooking? The PC works perfectly well when I unplug the cable and can work offline but the moment I plug it in again it freezes. The TV set top box was replaced with a newer model a couple of months ago and I was told by the engineers that it wouldn't affect my PC(?) I have a Packard Bell iDesign 100 with Windows Prof XP. I only have the one machine, although my daughter does surf from her laptop when she is home from University. I run a firewall and have Ntlguard as anti virus. I have no idea how to supply a traceroute/connectivity test/ or speed checks.

Stuartbe
04-01-2006, 16:59
O.K. First of all :welcome: to Cable Forum :)

The first step to try is to bypass that useless USB adaptor you have halfway through the cable. There is no reason for you to use USB as your pc has ethernet. If you take the large transparent connector (the one with 8 gold pins) out of the usb adaptor and plug it directly into the back of the machine you can eliminate the adaptor as the problem.

You cant put the connector in the wrong hole on the pc as it wont fit.

From what you are describing I gues its one of two things.

1 a duff USB adaptor

2 an atack being launched against your ip address.

HTH

loobyloo1
04-01-2006, 20:29
Thanks StuartBe,
From what you are describing I gues its one of two things.
1 a duff USB adaptor
2 an atack being launched against your ip address.

I tried to plug in the ethernet a couple of weeks ago but the socket in the back of my PC is much smaller than the one on the end of the cable. Are there two sizes, or should I get another cable? The other thing is, my daughter can use my ntl broadband on her laptop (I'm using it now) and there is no problem with it at all. You mention below that there could be an attack - how and what by? I have blitzed my pc with ad-ware, malware, anti virus, etc. The only thing I can't do get online and also can't access microsoft automatic updates. Someone has told me to go through Google as there was a problem with yahoo. Sorry I'm rambling..

Paul K
04-01-2006, 20:34
Ethernet cables are standard sizes so if it smaller than your current cable end then it may not be an ethernet port you are trying to plug into. Has your PC got a modem in it at all?
Any idea what exact model of packard bell you have? There may be a sticker with a model number etc on the back or side of the base unit.
Looby can you confirm the model number as I just checked the specification for one of the PB IDesigns and it only has a modem in it.

loobyloo1
04-01-2006, 20:52
Hi Paul, I've got information of the systems credentials which came with it as follows:
Model: iDesign 100 (Packard Bell) approx 3 yrs old
serial no 010726720792
Modem 56bps V.92 (ie Aztech CNR 2800-W (C1) modem riser with EEPROM (CNR secondary)
RAM 128Mb
Hard disk: 20 GB (18 GB available) A colleague at work upgraded the memory during the summer but cant tell you by how much, I remember him saying it was at least double what I already had.

Paul K
04-01-2006, 21:08
If that is the model I saw then you do not have built in ethernet and only have a modem hence why the ethernet cable will not fit.
Any chance your mate at work could fit you an ethernet card? They are cheap and a lot more reliable for networking.
Edit:
This is your PC it take it: link to spec (http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?sernr=010726720792&PibLinkType=1409#show)

SLM
04-01-2006, 21:12
How are you connecting to the laptop? are you using the same usb connector as your pc?

Paul K
04-01-2006, 21:16
How are you connecting to the laptop? are you using the same usb connector as your pc?

I think just as important a question having seen the specs is which firewall are you running on the PC?

loobyloo1
04-01-2006, 21:31
Hi Paul,
YES thats my baby.... but shes very sick at the moment, and she's all mine... Your suggestion of an etheret card is very interesting, I shall have to see where I can get one locally. Apparently my model has a slimmer than standard size case therefore I have to get a slimmer/shorter type of everything. Because the USB/cable connection situation has been brought up I have already been advised to get a USB 2.0 2-port PCI card just in case its a problem with my USB ports. I'm getting a real education with all this IT stuff, do I get a certificate if I pass the practical?

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Hi SLM, Using the same usb into the laptop.

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Paul,You lot are too fast for me!! The installation of firewall (?) don't understand the question. The firewall is installed and is on as always, do you mean which product, if so I don't know at this precise moment.

SLM
04-01-2006, 21:48
You can rule out the bb connection if it works fine on the laptop, try turning off your firewall for a bit, sometimes I find they are to sensitive and really screw around with bb.

loobyloo1
04-01-2006, 22:02
Hi SLM, Didnt thnk I could do that? Wont it open the pc up to all kinds of nasty things. Its set a medium level which seemed to be working satisfactorily for the past 3 years. Are you absolutely sure about this?

Paul K
04-01-2006, 22:54
You can turn it off for a couple of mins to check it, can you look in your start menu or add/ remove programs list to see if you can figure out what firewall it is? If you are running XP then you could turn the built in firewall on while you are checking things.
By the way ethernet cards are not bery big and unless you have a very strange case you should be able to put one in, you can get them online for less than a tenner these days.

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Try this link for the low profile card, not expensive and should fit
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31598&criteria=PCI&doy=4m1

philquinney
04-01-2006, 23:13
Hi looby,

It looks like the experts are doing a great job helping you out here. As another suggestion for an ethernet card try getting hold of a D-Link DFE-530TX. I've bought many of these cards and they come with two brackets: one for full height PCI and one for the smaller height that your computer sounds like it has. Last time I looked the cards were about £6 on amazon.

Just my recommendation,

Phil.

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 09:07
Morning Paul/PhilQuinney
Hubby going to Novatech (Portsmouth) this afternoon to get the the USB 2.0 PCI and an Ethernet card, if he can. Thanks for your help everyone I let you know how I get on.

Paul K
05-01-2006, 09:50
If he can't get the low profile card then order it online and it should arrive by the start of next week so you can get things sorted properly. By the way you have a maplin in Portsmouth
http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx?cmd=viewstore&storeid=22&doy=5m1
and according to the site they have the low profile ethernet card in stock.
Product code is ZT23A for the ethernet card and you can ask a staff member at maplins to go find it if needed :) They also sell the low profile USB 2 card too. You can always ring the store to check on physical stock levels as they usually differ from the online stock level checks.
Just an option if it's needed ;)

Stuart
05-01-2006, 10:21
Loobyloo1, :welcome: to CableForum.

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 12:25
Hi Paul

I have given Maplin's a call and they have just one ethernet card in stock. May have to wait 7 days for the USB 2.0 PCI card though. Maplins is quite local to where I live so thanks for that info.

Paul K
05-01-2006, 12:42
Hi Paul

I have given Maplin's a call and they have just one ethernet card in stock. May have to wait 7 days for the USB 2.0 PCI card though. Maplins is quite local to where I live so thanks for that info.
No probs, when you said Portsmouth I thought I would look to see if we could give you an option on where and what to buy. Hope things settle down for you when you get the ethernet card in. You will need to power down the STB when you switch over to the ethernet connection but when you are ready to change from USB to ethernet just post back and we can step you through it.

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 13:03
Paul, Thanks eversomuch for all the help and time spent helping me on this. I will be back for advice on how to "power down" eventually. :nworthy:

Paul K
05-01-2006, 13:18
Paul, Thanks eversomuch for all the help and time spent helping me on this. I will be back for advice on how to "power down" eventually. :nworthy:
LOL it's not the powering down you may have problem with but once you switch to network card you need to register it against your account again but it's relatively painless and you only need to point it to a certain internet address and follow the instructions. Takes a couple of minutes to do I would say.

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 16:10
Hi Paul
Hubby got the Ethernet card and the USB 2.0, but its a 4 port not a two. Maplin chap assured him it will be OK and it will fit. Hubby is such a technophob he hasn't got a clue and believes everything he is told. I will find that out tonight when I try it.

Paul K
05-01-2006, 17:52
Well if it doesn't then take it back and complain, the whole idea of specifying the low profile card was that it was a low profile. don't damage the packaging if possible and then just take it back and tell them you were advised that it would fit the case even though you asked for the low profile card as you knew you needed it.
Other than that, if it fits the case it should just be plug and play and Windows will install the drivers for it without problems.

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 18:19
Hi Paul,At home now. Inspecting the packaging for the Ethernet and drivers supported - doesn't specify suitable for Windows XP. Says Windows NT/95/98/2000/ME, Novell Netware, SCO Unix,Linux plus other popular network operating systems. What do I do, install or not?

Paul K
05-01-2006, 20:04
If it's ok for 2000 it should be fine with XP. XP will probably just recognise it and install it's drivers. Was it the low profile ethernet card? If it is I would suggest just installing it as XP will work with the majority of ethernet cards out of the box :)

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 20:20
Hi Paul, Yes it is a low profile version. Had a bit of a fright though because it looked to big to fit, but just discovered that there are two brackets, one long and one short one, phew.... BUT the USB is the wrong one, as we thought (too big). So its going back and will have to either order it or try somewhere else locally. I'll have a go fitting the ethernet and get back to you. Putting the cover back is a bit of a devil, so it may take me a little bit of time

Paul K
05-01-2006, 20:30
Once it is fitted, reboot the PC, allow the card to install it's drivers etc and then power the PC off again.
Power off the STB, switch connection from the USB to the Ethernet card, remove the USB adapter.
Restart PC and then follow the instructions here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg
(if you have your original booklet from NTL it should have the same info in it), you may want to write things like the serial number and URL down as your internet connection will probably not work till you visit that link. If all else fails just plug the USB adapter back in, plug the cable in and come back :)

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 20:37
Paul, Ethernet card is in,followed instructions in pack. But there is a small 12" thin cable with tiny plugs on each end in the box and nothing to say what to do with them? Can I say you are absolutely fabulous helping me with this. I couldn't have done this on my own.

Paul K
05-01-2006, 20:46
Sounds like wake on lan connections which are not needed in your situation so you can ignore those I think :)
Oh and just to clarify you need to aim your browser at
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html
to start the process of registering the ethernet connection against your account. (Do this after powering off PC and Set Top Box, connect ethernet cable from STB to Ethernet card, power up STB, let green light lock on solid, power up PC, open browser, type in link (carefully as it is https not http) and follow instructions using the serial number ntl-ct8-cb487 when asked.

nffc
05-01-2006, 20:50
That PB was made 14/11/2001 - how I know that, is another question...

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 20:51
Paul, Ok, thought that might be the case. I'll just close up the cover and then go onto the next stage.

Paul K
05-01-2006, 20:52
Paul, Ok, thought that might be the case. I'll just close up the cover and then go onto the next stage.
Ok, better re-read my last post as I added to it while you were posting lol ;)

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 21:41
Paul, Re-read your post and have written down your instructions,

Once it is fitted, reboot the PC, allow the card to install it's drivers etc and then power the PC off again.
Power off the STB, switch connection from the USB to the Ethernet card, remove the USB adapter.
Restart PC and then follow the instructions here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg
(if you have your original booklet from NTL it should have the same info in it), you may want to write things like the serial number and URL down as your internet connection will probably not work till you visit that link. If all else fails just plug the USB adapter back in, plug the cable in and come back :)

Which serial number and URL? I can't remember if I had a booklet but I do remember there was a serial number with the broadband disc starting ntl ... Is this the one you are refering? URL (?)

God whoever said this was easy must be nuts.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Paul, PC rebooted, Do I install the driver that came with the Ethernet card or will XP install own driver

loobyloo1
05-01-2006, 23:57
Paul, I've loaded the driver, and tried to follow your instructions but the ethernet is not detected. I've even spoke to Pakistan/India and I have no internet connection (?!?) But I am here, and am using the USB connection, which will sortly cease to operate. Why does the PC not identify the ethernet as new hardware? Its getting late so I shall have to link up again tomorrow from work.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Just managed to get back online again using the USB. I am absolutely exhausted trying to find out why the ethernet card is not working. The driver is loaded but I cannot find it saved anywhere. It does not come up as a new hardware or programme. By the way it does say in the README section that Windows XP is covered. There is no network adapter present when I looked at the network connections on the control panel either.

Paul K
06-01-2006, 15:10
If the card isn't detected then it is either not installed correctly or is not working. Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in your device manager list at all?
as to the other question about serial numbers it should be the info you got with the CD but this should work:
Oh and just to clarify you need to aim your browser at
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html
to start the process of registering the ethernet connection against your account. (Do this after powering off PC and Set Top Box, connect ethernet cable from STB to Ethernet card, power up STB, let green light lock on solid, power up PC, open browser, type in link (carefully as it is https not http) and follow instructions using the serial number ntl-ct8-cb487 when asked.

loobyloo1
06-01-2006, 21:02
Hi Paul, Sorry I missed your post today. Fell down the stairs at home (no drink involved) thankfully just my pride bruised and feeling a bit sore. Anyway the upshot of all our hard work is that my husband has this afternoon bought me a brand new PC (Novatech). I think he got fed up with me getting into difficulties with the old machine. Its taken me hours just to set it up but thought I would just let you know that you had given me fabulous support and encouragement, and I'm just sorry that I won't need to speak to you again. I've still got to change the internet connection over to ethernet but at least this PC has an ethernet socket and helpful instructions on how to change it over. Thank you once again.:)

Paul K
06-01-2006, 21:10
Ah well at least you got something from your efforts ;) Take it easy and rest your "pride" :D Think the main problem with the old PC was that it was a Packard Bell :cry:

loobyloo1
06-01-2006, 21:15
I can tell you I was beaming when hubby came in with the new PC. I had been trying to get one out of him for ages. So everything came out great in the end. Keep up the good work.

nffc
06-01-2006, 22:56
Ah well at least you got something from your efforts ;) Take it easy and rest your "pride" :D Think the main problem with the old PC was that it was a Packard Bell :cry:

Not at all, the main problem with it was that it was really too old! A lot of the newer PBs may even not be cutting edge but they're perfectly adequate for most's needs, and if treated OK, the HW is pretty reliable, more so than Advent, Emachines, HP etc...

Paul K
08-01-2006, 19:15
I can tell you I was beaming when hubby came in with the new PC. I had been trying to get one out of him for ages. So everything came out great in the end. Keep up the good work.
Looby, if you like we can help get the second PC fully operational again to give you a 2nd pc to use. I'm guessing the ethernet card was probably not installed quite right first time round
At least if the 2nd PC can be sorted you can then choose what to do with it (use it, sell it, give it to charity etc).

loobyloo1
08-01-2006, 21:07
Hi Paul. Thanks for the thought. I was actually thinking along the same lines myself. I'll have another look at it over the next couple of days and get back to you.

Paul K
08-01-2006, 21:09
Just one question before you leave, which slot was the ethernet card put into? It wasn't switched with the modem was it? If another slot is available I would try the card in another slot just in case :)
I'm on an earlier shift next week so will be home in the evenings to help if you need it.

loobyloo1
08-01-2006, 21:20
Paul, I tried it in the two slots available and it didn't respond. I was didn't know how hard I had to push it in in case I damaged it. I shall give it another go in a couple of days. I've got to set the whole thing up in the spare bedroom first. A very busy week for me too, got decorators in making a mess. Bye for now.

Paul K
08-01-2006, 21:21
You can push them in pretty firmly to be honest without damaging them, if there is a little green light near the port on the card did it light up at all when you put the cable in? It could be that the card is no good. (occassionally happens)

loobyloo1
08-01-2006, 21:27
Paul, To be honest I didn't notice any light(s) but I will check when I have another look at it.

Paul K
08-01-2006, 21:29
Well I shall see you in about a week lol ;) Just post back when you are ready to try again :)

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 14:04
Hi Paul, Finally got round to doing a double check on the installation of the ethernet card. Reinstalled it and powered up but the light didn't come on, so most probably a dud card. I will get another one during the week and have another go.

Paul K
15-01-2006, 14:08
Cool, did you try plugging a cable into it first though as it may not light up without a cable in ;) Did XP not pick up the card on boot up? If not try it in a different slot on the motherboard before you take it back. If it refuses to play ball take it back and get a replacement.
The way I look at it is this...
if we can get both PCs working correctly you are in a very good position to decide what you want to do with the second PC (even selling it is an option) and you will actually get to learn about the insides of a PC and how things work which is just as good :)

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 14:16
Paul, Although there were two slots, I could only use one of them because one of them was two close to another card (I think it was the dial up plug port). Don't ask me too many technical questions, I only worked that out half an hour ago. This is the slot where the plug went when I used to have dial up with Freeserve years ago. So anyway only one port, no light, no messages saying "found new hardware" etc. AND I did have the cable in it when I powered it up..... ah ha

Paul K
15-01-2006, 14:30
If you plugged it into the port that your dial up modem went into then the odds are you are using a slot designed for the modem and your ethernet card won't work in it. Is the modem still in the PC? if so you could remove it and that would open up the space for the ethernet to plug into the correct slot.

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 14:33
Paul, I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Paul K
15-01-2006, 14:37
Can you give a quick description of what you have plugged into your motherboard slots? Top to bottom, and what size slots they are (you may find one is shorter than the rest). This will help us figure out what is plugged in where.

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 14:41
Paul, Still not working, so will get another card and give it another go later in the week.

Paul K
15-01-2006, 14:51
We'll still be here when you get the replacement lol ;)

loobyloo1
15-01-2006, 15:08
Paul, Thanks for your time. Just about to send a new thread on local connection problem. Watch out.

loobyloo1
18-01-2006, 22:33
Hi Paul, Finally got round to checking the ethernet card. I took it into work and the Techie guys checked it for for me in one of their machines. It works fine. I've istalled it into the my machine but now I've got to set the PC up downstairs again close to the internet cable to do a proper test. I'll have hubby bring it down over the next few days. I had tried using the cables etc from my new PC into the old one and the tooing and froing was very frustrating. I'll ge there in the end, I'm determined to finish the job I started. Once that is fixed Ive got to look into the fact that when I'm online the keyboard and mouse freeze up. Anyway thats another problem.;) :D

loobyloo1
31-01-2006, 22:50
Paul, its been a while.... Decorators and hospital visits have delayed my progress in getting the old PC sorted. It seems that the ethernet card is now working and I have successfully (albeit with a few problems on the way), managed to ge the broadband working through the ethernet connection. So my problem with the old PC is now over. I shall be putting it in the spare bedroom for when my daughter and grandkids come and need a second PC. Thanks for your help it took me a while to get there but I did. Announcement: another job successfully completed with your help and patience. Thanks very much. I have been in touch with the Forum today with advice on the type of wireless router to get so tht I can link 2 PCs and a laptop so that will be my next challenge. ;) ;)
I would say that the only niggle I have noticed is that my IP address given for the old Pc is different to my other PC, IP 80.0.124.xx is this right or just a temporary address?:)

MovedGoalPosts
31-01-2006, 22:54
The IPs can and do change from time to time, especially if you are using different PCs. That is normal as the ntl network is "seeing" a different computer.

loobyloo1
31-01-2006, 23:04
Rob C, Cheers for that, I jut thought it was a temporary address, as we have been having a few problems in the Portsmouth area of late. I'm so glad another task has been completed. I would not have been able to do it without Pauls patience and instilled confidence to get the job done. Thanks to you all ;) :cool: