PDA

View Full Version : Freeview

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 16:37
I'm deciding to spice up my room alittle bit cause, I'm getting older! (And more mature I hope!). Anyways, I have a 14inch Sayno TV! Alba DVD Recorder. PS2. And, I'm thinking of getting Freeview & Digital Surround Sound! lol Ok about Freeview. I texted the little thing that you do. And well, it says my area isn't covered. But, my mate got it and his area isn't covered but, He bought a different ariel and it worked? Can I do that with me?

Chris
04-01-2006, 16:50
The postcode checker is just a guide, based on a digital map which predicts where the signal will be receiveable. It's no guarantee however. Can you borrow your mate's freeview box for a couple of hours and try it out?

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 17:04
I'm sure cause he prob won't let me cause I tend to muck about with stuff! I want to get this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320390/Trail/C%24cip%3D28956.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D2 9025.Digital%2BTV%2Band%2BFreeview%3EC%24cip%3D290 26.Freeview%2Bset%2Btop%2Bboxes.htm

Saaf_laandon_mo
04-01-2006, 17:06
Go for it if its argos... you can return using the no quibble 16 day money back guarnatee if you're not happy

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 17:08
Kool! So, What do I need to do to setup my box? Just buy the box and then plug it in to my TV? and my channels come up?

ScaredWebWarrior
04-01-2006, 17:10
. And well, it says my area isn't covered. But, my mate got it and his area isn't covered but, He bought a different ariel and it worked? Can I do that with me?I was in the same position - just got a box and hooked it up, and it works.

Probably would be better with a different aerial, but that's mostly because mine snapped in half with the birds sitting on it (well, I think that's what it was) so the signal strength isn't too good anyway.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Kool! So, What do I need to do to setup my box? Just buy the box and then plug it in to my TV? and my channels come up?Follow the connection and setup instructions that come with the box - should be simple enough.

But you may have to think about what device plugs into what SCART socket - the instructions don't always take into account the wide range of kit some folk have.

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 17:11
So, I just go to Argos! Get the box. Connect it up with my TV and away we go? No ariel connection?

ScaredWebWarrior
04-01-2006, 17:12
So, I just go to Argos! Get the box. Connect it up with my TV and away we go? No ariel connection?Aerial connection goes into Freeview box, and then a cable from there to the TV. This allows the TV to tune into normal terrestrial TV when the Freeview box is in standby, for example.

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 17:15
So, I need an aerial connection? That's going to be a prob! Cause, I only have a free standing aerial (Which I don't think is good!). Also, I have one on the roof but, Like I can't really use that because, I think It's being used for NTL!

Stuartbe
04-01-2006, 17:22
Sorry :(

I very much doubt you will pick up freeview on an internal antena. The freeview system is on low power and will be for a while as it upsets the analog system. To get freeview you will most likely need a high gain rooftop antena.

You current roof antena wont have naything to do with the NTL service, Its most likely just going through the NTL box.

You need to look into the posibility of taping into the roof antena.

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 17:25
Wait! I think my parents are using the roof aerial and the NTL box? But, I'm not sure! I gotta find out! So, I use the roof aerial, plug it into my freeview box, connect it to the TV and thats it? Do I use av?

Chris
04-01-2006, 17:28
Wait! I think my parents are using the roof aerial and the NTL box? But, I'm not sure! I gotta find out! So, I use the roof aerial, plug it into my freeview box, connect it to the TV and thats it? Do I use av?

Roof aerial into the back of the Freeview box! SCART from the box to your telly! Switch the telly to AV and away you go! Easy!!!!

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 17:30
Kool! Thanks! Well, I'm off now! Thanks for your help!!

ian@huth
04-01-2006, 21:13
Sorry :(

I very much doubt you will pick up freeview on an internal antena. The freeview system is on low power and will be for a while as it upsets the analog system. To get freeview you will most likely need a high gain rooftop antena.

You current roof antena wont have naything to do with the NTL service, Its most likely just going through the NTL box.

You need to look into the posibility of taping into the roof antena.You can get decent Freeview reception with an internal aerial if you have line of sight with the transmitter. My mother lives around 8 miles from the Emley Moor transmitter which you can see from her back windows and has no problem with Freeview and an internal aerial.

Argos exclude all Freeview boxes from their 16 day no quibble returns policy so you might be stuck with it if you have bought one there and can't get a signal.

BorderLine
04-01-2006, 22:08
Ok, me and my dad where talking about Freeview tonight. And, We where looking in Argos and found an aerial that can fit in your loft under the eves! Now, Congrats to Argos for putting that aerial in there cataloge! Cause, Guess what? My room is in the loft! Hehe! So, I think that might help?!

Chris
05-01-2006, 10:24
Ok, me and my dad where talking about Freeview tonight. And, We where looking in Argos and found an aerial that can fit in your loft under the eves! Now, Congrats to Argos for putting that aerial in there cataloge! Cause, Guess what? My room is in the loft! Hehe! So, I think that might help?!

Probably, but it will be quite a big aerial. Careful you don't bang your head on it.

BorderLine
05-01-2006, 18:01
LOL! It will be under the eves under the cupboard so, it's ok I guess!

ian@huth
05-01-2006, 22:34
Make sure that you are not in line between the aerial and transmitter when you are in the loft or the reception will probably suffer.