PDA

View Full Version : Downstream Receive Power Level

rikesh
03-01-2006, 20:35
Sorry if this has been already asked but i went on the ntl config page and...

Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.38 dBmv

Should i do anything about this, since my 2mb service works to its capacity on ambit home100 modem?

Regards

speajc
03-01-2006, 21:52
My cable modem gives a downstream power level between 9.5 to 10.5dBmV. I had never looked before, but checked now as my internet connection has been barely working for the past week. I have a connection speed of a couple kbits/s at best, most of the time, web pages just time out, or just a bit of text loads and no graphics. Safari browser just constantly returns the message: The error was: †œlost network connectionââ ¬Â (NSURLErrorDomain:-1005).

I've spent nearly 40 minutes on the phone tonight to NTL broadband support. I was speaking to a lady in India who refused to accept there is a problem with my connection at all.She said the cable modem was working fine. I tried to explain to her that the network connect fault is consistant on both MAC and PCs that I use on the connection, yet she insisted its not a network fault but a computer fault, saying I have no IP address. I assured her I do have an IP address and can make a connection to a remote server (but that's about it) but it fell on deaf ears. Had to give up in the end cos we were just going round in circles with her saying I would never access web pages without getting an IP address off of NTL, and me telling her I have an IP address and can just about make a connection to a web server.....

If anybody can tell me for sure if it maybe the high signal levels causing my network connection fault then PLEASE let me know. If I turn the modem off for a few hours and then back on, it works fine for a short while, but then just gives up again! Any help would be much appreciated!

SnoopZ
03-01-2006, 22:05
Sorry if this has been already asked but i went on the ntl config page and...

Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.38 dBmv

Should i do anything about this, since my 2mb service works to its capacity on ambit home100 modem?

Regards

Mines always been around that level and currently -9.1 dBmV and i've never had any issues. I have no plans to try and fix what isn't broke. :)

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

My cable modem gives a downstream power level between 9.5 to 10.5dBmV. I had never looked before, but checked now as my internet connection has been barely working for the past week. I have a connection speed of a couple kbits/s at best, most of the time, web pages just time out, or just a bit of text loads and no graphics. Safari browser just constantly returns the message: The error was: “lost network connection” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1005).

I've spent nearly 40 minutes on the phone tonight to NTL broadband support. I was speaking to a lady in India who refused to accept there is a problem with my connection at all.She said the cable modem was working fine. I tried to explain to her that the network connect fault is consistant on both MAC and PCs that I use on the connection, yet she insisted its not a network fault but a computer fault, saying I have no IP address. I assured her I do have an IP address and can make a connection to a remote server (but that's about it) but it fell on deaf ears. Had to give up in the end cos we were just going round in circles with her saying I would never access web pages without getting an IP address off of NTL, and me telling her I have an IP address and can just about make a connection to a web server.....

If anybody can tell me for sure if it maybe the high signal levels causing my network connection fault then PLEASE let me know. If I turn the modem off for a few hours and then back on, it works fine for a short while, but then just gives up again! Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm sure someone with alot of knowledge will be along to give you some advice at some point speajc. :)

rikesh
03-01-2006, 22:38
ok thanks for replies ppl, at least now i know its not just mine!

regards

BBKing
04-01-2006, 08:49
speajc: Can you PM me your modem's MAC address? Mrs. India can't see every connection parameter on your modem, I can.

That downstream receive around -8 or -9 you've all got is borderline - it'll work fine, but the risk is that it'll drop a bit more and you'll start having issues.. It's some way off the -23s I've been seeing recently, though!

Stuart
04-01-2006, 09:28
speajc: Just in case you are concerned, BBKing does work for NTL on the networking side of things..

SnoopZ
04-01-2006, 17:55
That downstream receive around -8 or -9 you've all got is borderline - it'll work fine, but the risk is that it'll drop a bit more and you'll start having issues.. It's some way off the -23s I've been seeing recently, though!

Thanks for the information on the levels. :)

jtwn
04-01-2006, 18:42
For a week or two a little while ago my power level was at -18, didn't report it as speeds seemed fine. Its at -2 to -3 now but spikes up to -7 sometimes it seems.

BBKing
04-01-2006, 20:33
The point about the -23s being reported is that I can actually read them off the modem! That means the modem stays online at that level, although I'd expect it to be more or less unreliable. The kit is remarkably tolerant of levels outside DOCSIS specs these days (it's got better as technology has advanced).