PDA

View Full Version : Netguard??

bollyrotten
03-01-2006, 14:45
Hi Folks,

Im new to this forum, stubbled accross it the other day. very informative.

I have a question about the netguard software.
Every time i try to install it, it tells me that i am not an NTL customer!!!!

I AM and have been for 3 years on broadband. It gives me no information on how to rectify this, i cannot find anything on the NTLworld website either.
Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it. its Bl**dy annoying!!

thanks in advance.

Enuff
03-01-2006, 15:37
ntl Netguard is not available to non-ntl customers or to customers who receive ntl Freedom services through a BT phone line. if thats not the case, then I have no idea why :shrug: Hope u get sorted ;)

BTW - :welcome:

bollyrotten
03-01-2006, 15:56
thanks, but thats not the case. I am in coventry on the ntl cable network all my phone internet & tv services supplied via fibreoptic off their (ntl) own network. I figured it might have been a virus or spyware, but i did a re-format and got the same messege!
thanks anyway.
anyone else who can help me please post!
cheers

marky
03-01-2006, 16:07
Click on the conections tab in the navbar at the top, it will tell you if your ip seems to be an ntl one, and if you are going through a proxy.
It may shine some light on it :)

Enuff
03-01-2006, 16:22
sorry to hear that bollyrotten, can u tell me or paste the error message u get when trying to install, does it just say "you are not an ntl customer"?

bollyrotten
03-01-2006, 18:21
i will try for you later, as im still at work at the mo.
its like a popup bubble so will have a go at copying, or write it all down.

im sure i dont go through proxy and can find my ip address easily.
dunno where the navbar is though lol is that on this site?

thanks for all the help people, i will let you know shorty

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Doh just found the nav bar! soz,
all the mince pies have gone to me head lol
;)

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

ok guys i have more information for you now,

ok i just tried again to re install netguard with the same error!!!
i have clicked on the connection tab at the top of page and it say the following
"it appears you ARE an ntl customer" then gives my ip address but does say that i go through a proxy server (address 62.255.32.13) this is a birmingham proxy server. (maybe that is the problem)
the message i get from netguard as it loads is the following,
"an error occurred. It appears that although you are connceted to the internet you are notconnected to NTL network. Only NTL customers can activate Netguard.
if you want to sign up to NTL visit wwwntl.com

It has a troubleshooting tab but that takes you to this page http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/netguard/ i cannot find any info on that page to help me!
This is really annoying now cause i am an NTL customer and am connected to their network!
Can anyone help???:confused:

bollyrotten
04-01-2006, 10:19
:confused:
Who else could i contact regarding this problem, i hae emailed NTL but no responce as yet.

ian@huth
04-01-2006, 10:35
:confused:
Who else could i contact regarding this problem, i hae emailed NTL but no responce as yet.How about telephoning NTL and asking for help.

bollyrotten
04-01-2006, 11:04
Thanks, I could do but the tech line cost alot of money per minute. Dont know if they could help anyways as it is a software issue with netguard. Netgaurd says im not an NTL customer on loadup so i cannot even get into the options of the program.
My guess is it has something to to with this NTL birmingham proxy server. My firewall lets the program out on the net ok. and have ruled out many possabilities. My Ip is an NTL one! Im supprised no one else has had this problem in my area too.
thanks anyway Ian

Enuff
04-01-2006, 11:06
Maybe someone will see your post soon and be able to throw some light on this irritating problem your having. Until then here is the NTL customer service number if you want to try that route? 0800 052 2000 good luck! :tu:

Bill C
04-01-2006, 11:09
Thanks, I could do but the tech line cost alot of money per minute. Dont know if they could help anyways as it is a software issue with netguard. Netgaurd says im not an NTL customer on loadup so i cannot even get into the options of the program.
My guess is it has something to to with this NTL birmingham proxy server. My firewall lets the program out on the net ok. and have ruled out many possabilities. My Ip is an NTL one! Im supprised no one else has had this problem in my area too.
thanks anyway Ian
Tech support is local call rate 0845 . Not expensive at all

ian@huth
04-01-2006, 11:11
thanks anyway IanYou can phone NTL for free on the number dodger has just quoted (unless your using a mobile which charges for 0800 numbers).

Netguard is a product provided by NTL and with the error message you are getting NTL should be able to help you and should really be your first port of call.

bollyrotten
04-01-2006, 11:24
Hey guys Many thanks,
It has been a while since i rang the tech line (think back in the old dialup modem days :Yikes: lol) was £1 per minute.

Oh how times change:)

Cheers i will give em a ring and let you all know how i get on later.

grandmaster
04-01-2006, 11:46
just out of intrest,

Do you have a proxy server listed in your internet explorer settings?

Tools,internet options,connections,lan settings..

Stuart
04-01-2006, 12:02
Do you have a router? It's entirely possible that Netguard is picking up the IP your router is giving you, which would not be an NTL IP.

Note: I have never installed Netguard (with or without a router) so could be wrong, but that seems the most logical explanation.

If that is the problem, then there are good, free, firewalls and Antivirus programs. I use ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) and Avast Antivirus (http://www.avast.com).

bollyrotten
04-01-2006, 12:15
Do you have a router? It's entirely possible that Netguard is picking up the IP your router is giving you, which would not be an NTL IP.

Note: I have never installed Netguard (with or without a router) so could be wrong, but that seems the most logical explanation.

If that is the problem, then there are good, free, firewalls and Antivirus programs. I use ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) and Avast Antivirus (http://www.avast.com).

No I do not have a router. just one pc connected via cable modem. I only found out i was going through a proxy server when i checked via the connections tab in the navbar on this site. And this returns the result saying that i AM an ntl customer.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

just out of intrest,

Do you have a proxy server listed in your internet explorer settings?

Tools,internet options,connections,lan settings..

Interesting Grandmaster, This i have not checked. I only found out i was going through a proxy via the connections tab on this site, (see previous posts)
I will check as soon as possible as im not on my home pc at the moment.
Cheers

grandmaster
05-01-2006, 13:00
did you resolve this?

bollyrotten
05-01-2006, 13:47
No Mate not yet.

I did look at the internet options , lan settings, but no proxy was listed + it needed a port number which i dont know. I presume port 80?

In my network connections, i do a properties and see my ip address and sub mask, but no proxy there. Thats why i was supprise to know i go though a proxy. But acording to the connection tab in hte navbar on this site i do.
I have no idea why netguard thinks im not a NTL customer. (Ihave not rang customer services yet or had an email back from technical support)
I would be grateful of any advice at the mo.
but i think it will look like going back on sygate firewall & avg antivirus. Just wanted to try the software seeing as it is supposed to be free for ntl users.

cheers

ian@huth
05-01-2006, 14:47
Proxies should be set to port 8080, not 80

See http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=21

Pointman
05-01-2006, 14:59
No Mate not yet.

I did look at the internet options , lan settings, but no proxy was listed + it needed a port number which i dont know. I presume port 80?

In my network connections, i do a properties and see my ip address and sub mask, but no proxy there. Thats why i was supprise to know i go though a proxy. But acording to the connection tab in hte navbar on this site i do.
I have no idea why netguard thinks im not a NTL customer. (Ihave not rang customer services yet or had an email back from technical support)
I would be grateful of any advice at the mo.
but i think it will look like going back on sygate firewall & avg antivirus. Just wanted to try the software seeing as it is supposed to be free for ntl users.

cheers

I've sent you a PM..

Pointy

bollyrotten
05-01-2006, 15:13
Proxies should be set to port 8080, not 80

See http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=21

Cheers Ian, I was only guessing at port 80 as its internet explorer port.
I will give it a go.

thanks

grandmaster
05-01-2006, 15:30
No Mate not yet.

<snip>

cheers

Should you not be set to DHCP, rather than have an ip address listed?
Dont have a cable modem so not sure....

hokkers999
05-01-2006, 17:54

If that is the problem, then there are good, free, firewalls and Antivirus programs. I use ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) and Avast Antivirus (http://www.avast.com). Except that being behind a router is entirely irrelevant. The router picks up the ip from the cm, then it translates ALL internal addresses on the way out to the real address. Do a quick google search on NAT. The internal addresses (anything 192.168.*.*) are not routable over the internet and therefore CANNOT be seen by NTL.

dragon
05-01-2006, 23:50
Except that being behind a router is entirely irrelevant. The router picks up the ip from the cm, then it translates ALL internal addresses on the way out to the real address. Do a quick google search on NAT. The internal addresses (anything 192.168.*.*) are not routable over the internet and therefore CANNOT be seen by NTL.

ahh but the netguard software could in theory looking at the ip of the network interfance on his pc, for all i know it could be looking at the wrong adaptor or something. really depends on what netguard does to determine if you are an ntl customer or not wether it simply looks at your pcs ip address from your network configuration or wether it calls some server on the ntl network and does the ip lookup that way.

nffc
05-01-2006, 23:52
And netguard is useful because...?

Stuart
06-01-2006, 00:14
Except that being behind a router is entirely irrelevant. The router picks up the ip from the cm, then it translates ALL internal addresses on the way out to the real address. Do a quick google search on NAT. The internal addresses (anything 192.168.*.*) are not routable over the internet and therefore CANNOT be seen by NTL.

Err, I am Cisco qualified. I know how TCP/IP works, and how NAT works.

My reasoning was that IF netguard needs some sort of activation code sent by NTL (or the original manufacturer), then it may embed the machine's IP in the request for activation. Thus the code would only work on a machine with the same IP as the machine that requested the code.

A lot of software does this.

So, no, being behind a router is NOT irrelevant.

hokkers999
06-01-2006, 00:34

My reasoning was that IF netguard needs some sort of activation code sent by NTL (or the original manufacturer), then it may embed the machine's IP in the request for activation. Thus the code would only work on a machine with the same IP as the machine that requested the code.

So, no, being behind a router is NOT irrelevant. Yeh, biggie, so am I. Unless you are running an &quot;enterprise&quot; load then the internal NAT'ed ip is NOT passed through to th e far end. Don't believe me? try running CallServer from NAT to NAT without Enterprise at each end. what's that I hear, oh yeah SILENCE. And yes, I have worked with the R&D guys in Tasman to get that sort of service working (4 years ago if memory serves). Jeez. And besides, how many people do you think are running any sort of Cisco (and I don't count Linksys here) boxes at home??

Stuart
07-01-2006, 16:49

So, no, being behind a router is NOT irrelevant. Yeh, biggie, so am I. Unless you are running an &quot;enterprise&quot; load then the internal NAT'ed ip is NOT passed through to th e far end. Don't believe me? try running CallServer from NAT to NAT without Enterprise at each end. what's that I hear, oh yeah SILENCE. And yes, I have worked with the R&D guys in Tasman to get that sort of service working (4 years ago if memory serves). Jeez. And besides, how many people do you think are running any sort of Cisco (and I don't count Linksys here) boxes at home??

OK, seeing as you have totally misunderstood my point, I will try to explain a little more clearly.

If you are behind a router or firewall with NAT and are running a PC running Windows, type ipconfig, what do you get? The IP address assigned to you by NTL, or the IP assigned to you by the router/firewall? Yep. You get the IP assigned to you by the router/firewall. Windows does not know it's connected to a router. All it knows is that it is connected to a device, and has an IP.

Now, I bought up the Cisco qualification because you appeared to be assuming I do not know how NAT works. I was making the point I do. I also know that the NAT IP is not passed through to the internet connection. I did not do it to start a contest.

Anyway, back to the point of the post. Some software that requires activation uses the IP as part of the ID code for the computer. This, IMO, is a bad idea, but some software does it. When that software requests the IP from Windows, what IP will it get? Yep, the IP assigned by the firewall.

Now, if Netguard does this, it's entirely possible that NTL will not recognise the code as containing an NTL IP. They should recognise it as a member of a private range, but this is NTL we are talking about.

Hopefully, you can now see that the make of router is not relevant to my arguement.

However, the OP has stated he doesn't have a router anyway.

AndyCambs
08-01-2006, 10:38
Slightly different query this -but still Netguard. I installed Netguard on a new laptop computer, which is connected to NTL Broadband via a wireless router. The installation was fine, but I noticed it must have deleted some essential files for Windows updates, as I was not able to upload any of the windows updates with Netguard installed. The message was that registery or essential files were missing. Even though I tried to restore these files with the method offered, it still would not permit the updates until NetGuard had been uninstalled.
Has anyone else had this problem?

bollyrotten
12-01-2006, 10:10
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your advice. I did manage to get netguard un and running in the end but using magic! lol It somehow fixed itself!!:) Every time i switched on the pc i got the message "youare not an NTL customer etc"
Then the other day, bingo! it just worked!

However im not that impressed with it in the end. It cannot scan my pc for virus's does my C drive fine, but my D drive will it dont like that! I left it running for 8 hours doing a scan, and after that time it was still on 50%! it was still running acording to the task manager (process 100%) my d drive contains about 80GIG of files. AVG would scan in about 1 hour, I know my machine is clean because its recently been formatted and whilst netguard wouldent run i had to re install avg which scans were clean!
Looks like i will have to un install and go back on avg & spysweeper or something.
cheers guys