PDA

View Full Version : problems with new connection

mmibe
01-01-2006, 23:19
advent T9106, windows xp, motorola surfborad
just got new computer, first thing installed was telewest, worked fine, then made mistake of installing norton and everything stopped working. uninstalled norton, still no luck. had nothing else on comp so reformatted harddrive and reset everything back to begining.
have been told by telewest cust sup that should have no need to install software as connecting through thernet and should pick up automatically but isnt. get most of way through set up disk but freezes shortly after connecting to telewest server to download software and still cant copnnect to net, IE just has black screen and status bar freezes half way.
have had numerous conversations with tech support, resetting ip addresses, starting and stopping dhco and tcp settings to no avail. have valid ip address and ping results return 25-50% failure. been told problem is comp and to taker it back to shop but i had it working first time and seems a bit drastic,m any ideas? could someone tell me how to skip ethernet and just use the usb?

MovedGoalPosts
02-01-2006, 00:34
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

You've probably done most of the things I could think of which does suggest something might be wrong with a hardware configuration, possibly a duff driver. You are posting this which shows your old computer connection works, so that rules out the TW connnection and modem.

You say you have reformatted the PC - that would suggest that it's going to be free of virus. I just wonder if the drivers have reloaded properly? It is allways possible that something hardware has broken.

I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but need to check that you do power off the modem, and unplug the old computer network connection, plug in the new PC network connection, power on the modem, give that time to settle, before booting up the PC.

Ethernet is generally a more reliable connection method. Do you use ethernet or USB for your old PC?

Have a look at your windows security settings (Control Panel). Start off making sure there is no firewall enabled, and don't install Norton, or enable any other antivirus trial software that may have been supplied with the PC.

mmibe
02-01-2006, 11:32
i have unplugged and replugged in the bloody things more times then i care to think about :D the thing i dont quite get is that i can get most of the way through installation, and it does succesfuly contact the telewest server before freezing just beforei get to setting up email section.

im using ehternet on other pc and have no problems at all with it.
have switchedd off all windows security and first thign i load after reinstalling is telewest, no other virus software or anything on computer.

is there anyway of using the usb connection long enough so i can get to my pc's maintenance site and check the drivers on ethernet card?

MovedGoalPosts
02-01-2006, 11:36
You can use USB, assuming you have a USB lead for your modem.

You'll need to get the USB drivers off the Telewest supplied CD that came with the modem - this could well be your Telewest Install disk.

As ever you need to power off modem, unplug ethernet cables, plug in USB repower modem, let that settle, then power on the PC.