PDA

View Full Version : Line rental charges with Broadband..

N3il
31-12-2005, 10:14
Hi all,

Just received my first bill from NTL after dropping the TV/Phone in favour of just plain broadband....and...theres a line rental charge!

Is this normal? I dont have access to the phone, theres no dialing tone, and im paying 10.50 for what..I dont really see the point in staying with NTL if it is normal and im going to move to dsl/paying for line rental where i actually can use the phone too.

Thanks

N3il

progsys
31-12-2005, 10:31
Hi N3il,

I got "stung" for the telephone line rental charge as well - received a letter in early Dec stating that I'd not been charged for the rental since I dropped the TV package in March and as a gesture they'd only backdate three months! When I phoned up they dropped one £10.50 off but I'm still paying £24.99 for broadband plus telephone usage and now the £10.50.

I always thought the telephone was part of the broadband package but it turns out that it's the TV!

If you can't get a dail tone then I'd presume you've a fault on the line - I certainly wouldn't like to pay the £10.50 for nothing!

Cheers SMc...

quadplay
31-12-2005, 10:37
If you've had the telephone line disconnected, you shouldn't be paying the £10.50 - although you will have to pay it up to the date the line was disconnected. Call Customer Services to check the package has been disconnected in the billing system and get the charge refunded (if appropriate).

festoid
31-12-2005, 17:13
I used to get my broadband via a STB, for which I NEVER wanted the TV [modem wasn't available at the time], they still charged me every month for a basic TV package and the broadband. When I swopped to modem I had to take out t a new 12 mth contract, but at least I was just paying for the services i had.

The £10.50 as it turned out was for the STB's rental and the fact it could never be switched off completely without loss of broadband. My advice, switch to modem and dump the TV/phone lines, there are too many cheaper providers out there not to do so.

N3il
04-01-2006, 21:53
It was an error :) got the charges refunded etc.

If they would consider a reasonable amount for a base digital tv package with no phone, so just modem and tv then I would consider it but I just dont need the phone, and my tv usage isnt high enough to warrant the cost.

Many thanks for the replies guys