PDA

View Full Version : Connection Dropout Problems!!!

deathtrap3000
31-12-2005, 03:25
i have 3pcs (2 with xp and the other with win2000) an xbox, xbox360 and a ps2 all conected up to a router that is connected to a pace stb, all conected through ethernet. I am on the 1mb service.
Its been happening to me for about a year now and after ntl "tried" to sort out the problem and failed miserably every time, i just gave up.
the first tech support guy i rang did some tests and found nothing
the second guy told me to ping some websites with no luck, sent a tecnician round, and he changed the stb with a different 1 (exactly the same type) no luck
the third guy came round and added a signal thingy on the back of the stb where the connection comes in and changed all the cables, again no luck
the forth guy told me it was a problem with ms windows xp and reffered me to an update that didnt exist (but one of my computers are win2000 and the xboxes and ps2 still loose connection, so it cant be a fault with xp)

and i just gave up with ntl and decided to live with the random dropouts

if anyone can provide help i would be very greatious

MovedGoalPosts
31-12-2005, 04:13
How many of these computers & consoles are running at the same time? It's quite possible that you are simply saturating the upload bandwidth of your 1 meg service. You only get 100kpbs upload (1 meg broadband is approx 1000kpbs) so any moderately heavy use could be hitting the threshold.

What model of Pace STB do you have? The 1 meg speed is very much at the very limit of it's capabilities. I'd be pushing ntl to replace it with a separate cable modem (which could support 10meg services) or at least the Samsung STB (which can support around 5 meg).

Bear in mind that, according to the ntl Acceptable Use Policy, they only allow a maximum of 3 devices to be connected (each console is a device) in a home network. Frequently that is ignored, but don't dwell on that issue when contacting ntl.

deathtrap3000
31-12-2005, 04:29
thanks for the reply
i generally have 1 computer and 1 xbox on at the same time.
i am not sure what model stb i have and for a while now i have been thinking of contacting ntl for a sacm.
i did ask for 1 once but they told me i had me pay £50 for one which i think is ridiculous seeing as they should have provided me with one for free in the first place