PDA

View Full Version : 2MB download speed issue

CityFan
29-12-2005, 15:55
hiya all :)

righty, well, i've been on a 2 meg service for a bit now and the last month or so i've been having problems with the download speed. the upload speed was at 512k speed (which was odd yes, i rang up about my download speed issue and found they had me down as being on a 10 meg service and couldn't help me til i got this resolved, which i did today).

did a speed test before ringing tech help and got upload of 256kbs 'ish' but download speeds were still low, to give you an idea of the speeds i'm getting, they range between 400kbps and 1.2mbps which is very strange like.

so i ring up tecchy help and they do tests, problem is i'm on a wireless router and can't do a direct test with the pc, nothing has been changed with the router in the past few months and the speed was fine so i don't see why thats effected it but without a direct connection they won't do anything else (pc is too far away from modem)

so, anyone got an idea on what the problem might be or will i have to go out and buy a big wire for daft money from pc world? :(

heres some techy things from the cable modem config page: -

IP address : 10.171.48.144 (stuck me as odd)
Software version : 2.67.1016
Hardware version : 1.15

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.0 dB

(speed test from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp)

Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 546 Kbps (68.3 KB/sec) 589 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 184 Kbps (23.0 KB/sec) 198 Kbps (inc. overheads)
(speed test from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.marsden/newspeedtest.html?1135871071218)

Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:45:55 UTC
1st 512K took 16078 ms = 31.8 KB/sec, approx 262 Kbps, 0.26 Mbps
2nd 512K took 21312 ms = 24 KB/sec, approx 198 Kbps, 0.19 Mbps
3rd 512K took 15688 ms = 32.6 KB/sec, approx 269 Kbps, 0.26 Mbps
4th 512K took 22594 ms = 22.7 KB/sec, approx 187 Kbps, 0.18 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 229 Kbps, 0.22 Mbps

thanks in advance for any help :)

Chris
29-12-2005, 15:59
The stats mean nothing to me - but the NTL techs are still your best bet, can you not set your PC up next to the modem just for an hour while you call them again? No mega-long PC World cables required. :)

CityFan
29-12-2005, 16:01
would have to get a plug extender thing, and theres nowhere to put it really, would be balancing on a small ledge, lot of arsing about, if needs be i could do it but i'd rather find an alternative way :)

edit: i'm in stockport, read a few people in manchester/south manchester have been having problems so i dunno if this might be related

TW_BUS_DATA_TECH
29-12-2005, 20:28
IP address : 10.171.48.144 (stuck me as odd)

Thats the private address of the CM on the NTL network, the public address is assigned to your CPE (Router) by the UBR.

Stuart
29-12-2005, 20:44
would have to get a plug extender thing, and theres nowhere to put it really, would be balancing on a small ledge, lot of arsing about, if needs be i could do it but i'd rather find an alternative way :)

edit: i'm in stockport, read a few people in manchester/south manchester have been having problems so i dunno if this might be related

First, make sure that the PC has an up-to-date virus scanner, and anti-virus program. Run scans using both of these, and clear any viruses/spyware.

For the next step, you would be better off temporarily connecting the PC directly to the Cable Modem. That way, if the speed returns to normal, you will know it's the router. If it doesn't, something is up with the PC itself, or the Cable Modem.

Finally, if that does not improve the speed, you will need to phone NTL, as you may need an engineer visit.

CityFan
29-12-2005, 21:06
just been on the phone to ntl while connecting directly to the modem (not doing that again tonight, rather go out and buy a patch cable than move the pc again)

was getting the same speeds, used robin walkers site as the speed test. he did something like taking my modem off the server and putting it back on, rebooted everything and did the test again, 2 runs on the speed test site and it was fine.

after i hung up i did the test on asdlguide and it gave me bad results again, then i tried newsbin pro and got a slow speed like before, did the test on walkers site again and got quick results, strange....

i downloaeed a file from my webspace and it went at around 245kbs which is right as far as i know. i moved my pc back over where it should be and connected it up wireless again and now i'm getting bad results all the time. normally i'd think it was just my router but as they were off and on before i dunno :(

going to get a patch lead and try it again tommorow without moving my pc, too much messing about. might also see if i can get a laptop from somewhere to see if its a pc problem.

very confuddeled :(

going to run some scans like you said and see what it brings up but i've done a few last week and they were ok, never know though.

ta for help guys :)