PDA

View Full Version : Moved house and more NTL bother

toller
28-12-2005, 15:33
I'm just wondering if someone could help me out with a little query. I posted a few weeks back after i'd been trying to get NTL installed for almost 5 weeks but they kept messing up the dates and never turning up, after some positive action on this forum to installation finally went ahead. When i took out the NTL subscription i knew i owuld be moving house in spring 2006 and so checked that the new house was in a cabled area (It was). However the house became available much earlier and as a result we moved in the week before christmas. We had arranged for NTL to install their services at the new house and had been told several times that it was available in spite of the house being on a private road.

Lo and behold NTL rang the day before installation and told us it actually wasn't available and they would therefore terminate our contract which we'd only been in for 4 weeks.

In spite of all of NTL's problems i quite liked their service, especially OnDemand, plus it was also much easier not to mention cheaper to get everything bundled with NTL.

I'm just wondering why the CS guy (several of them) and the website would all say my new house is cabled when it isn't.

I'm resigned to the fact of a life again without NTL and have already ordered sky, although that is costing extra as they're having to put the dish on the chimmney.

Ho hum, it was ok while it lasted i suppose.

MovedGoalPosts
28-12-2005, 15:38
hmm, you don't seem to have much luck with ntl do you :(

The CS team will just rely on the data that has been input into their own systems and also the website search. It usually seems the other way round that people can get service when the database says they can't. There's an old phrase I learn't from school regarding computers: garbage in - garbage out.

It's worth you giving some feedback via responsetek with a request that somebody updates the systems.

Chris
28-12-2005, 17:12
I'm just wondering if someone could help me out with a little query. I posted a few weeks back after i'd been trying to get NTL installed for almost 5 weeks but they kept messing up the dates and never turning up, after some positive action on this forum to installation finally went ahead. When i took out the NTL subscription i knew i owuld be moving house in spring 2006 and so checked that the new house was in a cabled area (It was). However the house became available much earlier and as a result we moved in the week before christmas. We had arranged for NTL to install their services at the new house and had been told several times that it was available in spite of the house being on a private road.

Lo and behold NTL rang the day before installation and told us it actually wasn't available and they would therefore terminate our contract which we'd only been in for 4 weeks.

In spite of all of NTL's problems i quite liked their service, especially OnDemand, plus it was also much easier not to mention cheaper to get everything bundled with NTL.

I'm just wondering why the CS guy (several of them) and the website would all say my new house is cabled when it isn't.

I'm resigned to the fact of a life again without NTL and have already ordered sky, although that is costing extra as they're having to put the dish on the chimmney.

Ho hum, it was ok while it lasted i suppose.
Ah, the legendary Sky 'special heights installation team'. :rolleyes: Just watch that they don't start messing with your install date - bad weather, too many bookings, inconvenient to get to you today (I had all of those and more after learning my dish had to go on my chimney, due to my house being wooden) ... if they do, you should simply cancel your order and find a local sky-approved independent installer instead. They are unencumbered by the daft rules Sky's own staff have to work to (any installation more than about 6ft off the ground requires a 2-man install team) and will almost certainly get you installed quicker. Sometimes they will do a better install deal with you than Sky. I hope you don't find this out by experience - but take it from me, Sky are every bit as able to @rse up your install as NTL are.