PDA

View Full Version : How many?

Nidge
27-12-2005, 17:57
How many broadband connections can you have coming into one house at the same time?

JonathanLH
27-12-2005, 18:42
as many as you can convince sales to give you :) as they are not supposed to give you more than 1
i managed 2, just have the 1 now though

Chris W
27-12-2005, 18:59
Normally you will not get more than 1 per customer- however in shared houses you may have more than one under different accounts.

The limit is how many cables you have to the house (normally just the one) and how many times the cable can be split and still receive a decent signal. If you have a number of set top boxes you are unlikely to be able to run more than one broadband connection.

When i lived in shared accomodation we had two omniboxes, one ran a cable modem and two set top boxes, and the other ran two set top boxes.

Nidge
27-12-2005, 19:49
Ok lads cheers, I need a connection for my lads room upstairs, I'll give sales a ring in the morning and see what they say.

jrhnewark
27-12-2005, 19:52
Ok lads cheers, I need a connection for my lads room upstairs, I'll give sales a ring in the morning and see what they say.Unless you both need full 10Mbps connections each, why on earth do you want to pay twice? Thought of getting a router? :)

UncleBooBoo
27-12-2005, 19:54
It's their money and if they can afford 1, 2 or 10 connections good luck to them!

If NTL don't want to provide more than one connection then that's their loss!

patrickp
27-12-2005, 19:55
Ok lads cheers, I need a connection for my lads room upstairs, I'll give sales a ring in the morning and see what they say.

AFAIK the account for each connection will need to be in a different name.

Nidge
28-12-2005, 02:43
Unless you both need full 10Mbps connections each, why on earth do you want to pay twice? Thought of getting a router? :) We did have a router but there is something in the house that's stopping the router from working.

JonathanLH
28-12-2005, 07:48
maybe we can help you work that out?
if it's an STB, then you need to clone the mac from your pc on to the router really.

Chrysalis
28-12-2005, 10:06
does anyone know if this is how it works for flats, say a house converted to 5 flats do they get a splitter job done or 5 dedicated connections?

JonathanLH
28-12-2005, 10:16
they'd pull an extra cable through if the downstream power got too low i'd expect, or maybe put an amplifier before the spliter

ian@huth
28-12-2005, 10:18
Houses split into several flats would normally have dedicated connections to each flat. This can be problematic in areas where there are loads of old large Victorian houses which have been converted to flats, LE3 being a prime example. There just isn't enough capacity in the trunking and in the green boxes to serve every property.

Nidge
28-12-2005, 12:33
Got a install date for next Wednesday am. I've had to open a new account for the new Broadband connection, our lass is paying the other bill so I'm not botherd:D :D

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Normally you will not get more than 1 per customer- however in shared houses you may have more than one under different accounts.

The limit is how many cables you have to the house (normally just the one) and how many times the cable can be split and still receive a decent signal. If you have a number of set top boxes you are unlikely to be able to run more than one broadband connection.

When i lived in shared accomodation we had two omniboxes, one ran a cable modem and two set top boxes, and the other ran two set top boxes.

This is what we have in the house at the moment, 2 NTL boxes for the TV, phone and 10meg broadband.

AndyCambs
29-12-2005, 02:34
I'd have thought that a Wireless router would have been much easier and cheaper in the long run?

punky
29-12-2005, 03:03
We did have a router but there is something in the house that's stopping the router from working.

Bit late for you, but if anyone else has this problem, a little known solution to run a network without running wires everywhere is that you can actually use your existing electrical network, as a regular ethernet network, using HomePlug. You buy HomePlug adaptors to convert the ethernet -> electrical socket, and away you go. Its fast enough for broadband internet access, as its well over 10mbps.

Also, some power companies are trialling ISPing over their electrical grids. Could be wonderful news for people living too far from DSL exchanges, if the trials are successful.

Nidge
29-12-2005, 05:55
I'd have thought that a Wireless router would have been much easier and cheaper in the long run?

The missus is paying for it so I'm not botherd.

lordy
29-12-2005, 06:35
The missus is paying for it so I'm not botherd.

Fair 'nuff. Thats an extra flight somewhere exotic down the drain :)
Or more likely - longer to pay off existing debts :):)

PS1
29-12-2005, 14:28
Ntl may say they need to put another drop in ,as they originally decided to have no more than 3 catv services running off a single drop cable,and you already meet that?
However,the final decision would be yours .if they couldnt provide you with the optimum signal levels for all your services and suggested a second drop(or maybe upgrade) but you didnt want your garden or driveway etc dug up again then they would leave it as it was(on your head tho)!
neverthelees,the engineers would probable be very gratefull for this as it means less work for them!;)

Chris W
29-12-2005, 21:37
Bit late for you, but if anyone else has this problem, a little known solution to run a network without running wires everywhere is that you can actually use your existing electrical network, as a regular ethernet network, using HomePlug.

oooh is this legal now? last time i investigated it was illegal, will have to look into it :)

punky
29-12-2005, 22:22
oooh is this legal now? last time i investigated it was illegal, will have to look into it :)

Illegal? First i've heard of that...

This article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication) says they have deployed in some areas, like the US and Australia. Seems to have had a chequered history with regards to people complaining of interference as electric cables are unshielded, but everyone has seemed to come to a compromise on that.

Graham
29-12-2005, 22:26
Bit late for you, but if anyone else has this problem, a little known solution to run a network without running wires everywhere is that you can actually use your existing electrical network, as a regular ethernet network, using HomePlug.

Since when? I recall a system to do this for the BBC Micro...!

Paul
29-12-2005, 22:43
oooh is this legal now? last time i investigated it was illegal, will have to look into it :)Illegal since when ?? - how is it different from home control systems then (the ones that work via the mains).