PDA

View Full Version : Probabily a stupid question but....

pikeythegreat
27-12-2005, 09:52
Does ntl enforce a download speed restriction on large torrent files?

I only ask as I have a 1mb connection, and can achieve speeds of up to 120Kb/s downloading from places such as windows update, but for large torrents >50Mb, even with 30-40 seeds, i'm getting speeds of 3-4Kb/s. :erm:
Smaller files generally go faster, but still nowhere near 120Kb/s

Can anyone help :rolleyes:

poolking
27-12-2005, 09:53

I only ask as I have a 1mb connection, and can achieve speeds of up to 120Kb/s downloading from places such as windows update, but for large torrents >50Mb, even with 30-40 seeds, i'm getting speeds of 3-4Kb/s. :erm:

I don't think so, I always find torrents have rubbish download speeds, out of my 1mb connection the most I can get is 15kb/s. It depends on how many people are peering the same file as you.

Bill C
27-12-2005, 10:33

I only ask as I have a 1mb connection, and can achieve speeds of up to 120Kb/s downloading from places such as windows update, but for large torrents >50Mb, even with 30-40 seeds, I'm getting speeds of 3-4Kb/s. :erm:

No they dont.

What you have is people restricting there upload speed with there client or with netlimiter. This inturn slows your download speeds.

The only way to get full speed is by using the newsgroups. Torrents are and have been getting slower and slower over the last year. This is not down to NTL packet shaping or restricting torrent downloads.

grubbymitts
27-12-2005, 13:36
The only way to get full speed is by using the newsgroups.

SHUSH!

Don't tell everyone ;)

Remember the Usenet rules -
1) You do not talk about Usenet
2) You DO NOT make awful references to Fight Club for cheap laughs!

JonathanLH
27-12-2005, 16:28
Most public trackers are fairly slow unless you have a decent upload speed, due to the amount of people on them and since the bittorrent system works on a "tit-for-tat" basis.
ie, someone sends to you, if you send to them, kind of like a priority thing. (unless they are way more seeds than leechers anyway).
one solution is to use private torrent sites, or as bill rightly says, newsgroups (better for ntl too since it's all internal ntl bandwidth)

poolking
27-12-2005, 17:10
SHUSH!

Don't tell everyone ;)

Remember the Usenet rules -
1) You do not talk about Usenet
2) You DO NOT make awful references to Fight Club for cheap laughs!

3) Use Sledgehammer on person who tries to get cheap laughs
4) Do not talk about Usenet. ;)

grubbymitts
27-12-2005, 17:51
Grubby rubs head