PDA

View Full Version : internet on set top box and modem?

nicke261192
26-12-2005, 23:33
i have a wireless router upstairs plugged in my modem. i am gettin a new media center pc for living room where telewest stb is. i know i can use ethernet in stb if i dont have modem. can i use this if i do have a modem?

Quick reply means i like you!!!

nffc
26-12-2005, 23:36
Why not just use the router? I doubt TW would let you plug two devices in - in essence two seperate connections.

nicke261192
27-12-2005, 11:55
Why not just use the router? I doubt TW would let you plug two devices in - in essence two seperate connections. Hey good idea

janipewter
02-01-2006, 08:24
No, you'll need to buy a router. You can't use the set top box to access the Internet if you aren't a customer who pays for access through the set top box.

Just buy a router, I got a wireless router with built in switch from Ebuyer.com for £30 and it does the job fine. I share my 2Mbps connection between this pc (mine), my mum's pc (next door to my room), my server (in the attic) and my wireless laptop.

Ps, you aren't the only "under 80" person on this forum - I'm 16.

nffc
02-01-2006, 17:49
No, you'll need to buy a router. You can't use the set top box to access the Internet if you aren't a customer who pays for access through the set top box.

Just buy a router, I got a wireless router with built in switch from Ebuyer.com for £30 and it does the job fine. I share my 2Mbps connection between this pc (mine), my mum's pc (next door to my room), my server (in the attic) and my wireless laptop.

Ps, you aren't the only "under 80" person on this forum - I'm 16.

Read his post again, he's buying a MCE PC for the living room, and already has a wireless router!

Methinks maybe the 0 could vanish though!

Zag999
22-01-2006, 22:41
Hey nicke

Did you ever get internet thru STB? Looking to do the same thing. Got an old Pace Di1000 STB with an ethernet port :rolleyes: . Can't get anything out of it even with crossover cable.

Any help appreciated.

Chris W
22-01-2006, 22:55
Hey nicke

Did you ever get internet thru STB? Looking to do the same thing. Got an old Pace Di1000 STB with an ethernet port :rolleyes: . Can't get anything out of it even with crossover cable.

Any help appreciated.

are you paying for an internet connection? If so have you contacted Telewest's technical support department?

If you're not paying for the internet via stb then you won't get an internet connection through it.

Zag999
23-01-2006, 20:40
Yes I am paying for it. Got a Motorola Surfboard modem at the moment:o: . Internet thru STB would be easier for me than moving the modem. Haven't contacted Telewest support yet, probably should have done that first!