PDA

View Full Version : 2mb Upgrade to 10mb

dan_uk1
26-12-2005, 12:52
Hi,

I was just wondering when the 2mb tier which i'm currently on in the Leicetser area will be upgraded to 10mb, does anyone know the date? I was also wondering if I ring up NTL saying I'm considering changing ISP's to UkOnline and there 22mb service would they value me as a customer and upgrade me to the 10mb now?

Thanks Dan

Paul
26-12-2005, 12:55
Sometime in 2006 is the only timeline we have. I would expect it to be in early 2006, but this is just speculation atm.

AndrewJ
26-12-2005, 13:26
Sometime in 2006 is the only timeline we have. I would expect it to be in early 2006, but this is just speculation atm.

I heard there was to be no move for users on 1/2mb all we was going to get was the cap removed?

:dozey:

Paul
26-12-2005, 13:31
I heard there was to be no move for users on 1/2mb all we was going to get was the cap removed?There is nothing to support that - the two things are not related.

Bill C
26-12-2005, 13:49
I heard there was to be no move for users on 1/2mb all we was going to get was the cap removed?

:dozey:

Not what i heard before i left.

AndrewJ
26-12-2005, 22:18
I heard there was to be no move for users on 1/2mb all we was going to get was the cap removed?There is nothing to support that - the two things are not related.

errrm

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/221/ntl-broadband-1-and-2mb-goes-unlimited-jan-2006

Paul
26-12-2005, 22:31
errrm

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/221/ntl-broadband-1-and-2mb-goes-unlimited-jan-2006Erm what exactly :confused: Where in that article does it say the 1 & 2 meg upgrade plans are no more ?

As far as we know, users on those tiers will have a choice, stay on their current speed, with no cap - or upgrade to 10 meg with a cap (3 gig or 30 gig I believe).

AndrewJ
26-12-2005, 22:43
Ahhh I see now Paul M looks like I mis-read the article.

So if we are given the choice as is I use a Ambit modem? would I have to pay to increase my speed or would I be given the choice for free?

etccarmageddon
26-12-2005, 23:05
looks like your choice will be 'uncapped' but the current speeds or 'capped' but with 10meg - at some point during 2006.

AndrewJ
27-12-2005, 08:58
Ahh well I am moving to 10mb that isn't the question once things are sorted in 2006, but will there be a cost to move upto 10mb in 2006 when offered to the 2mb users?

Or will it be free to remain on 2mb and uncapped or a upgrade charge to the 10mb tier with a cap.

Going of the top point i would imagine a free upgrade as its a handicapped tariff with the cap.

brits
27-12-2005, 10:59
upgrade to 10meg is free from Jan 2006 2meg has unlimeted usage 10 meg has 70gig a month

AndrewJ
27-12-2005, 13:35
Well that would suit me as I generally only average about 25gig per month right now ( gotta love relatives moving uk... )

10mb should make a lovely difference, however what will my upload be I heard 512k is the norm so it seems, but is this gonna change for 2mb or does no-one know yet?

(buzzing at idea of 10mb...)

dan_uk1
27-12-2005, 13:53
Yea 10mb would be awesome as I do alot of online gaming can't wait as for once I'll finally be able to host a decent size room :-)

AndrewJ
27-12-2005, 13:55
If I recall correctly it may help but part of it is also down to the computer aswell :)

dan_uk1
27-12-2005, 13:59
Yea but I play on the xbox live service so all that counts is the connection speed. Just hope they upgrade us 2mb tier people soon.

UncleBooBoo
27-12-2005, 14:01
I wouldn't get all that excited about the 10MB as it ain't all it's cracked up to be!

I upgraded from the 2MB to the 10MB and although 60% of the time I was getting the full 10MB the rest of the time I was getting speeds of around 600k - 3MB So I decided to go back to the 2MB well after all seems a little stupid to pay 37.99 for a 600k - 3MB service right! :td:

Now im back on the 2MB teir I get 2MB 100% of the time and yes I do have the latest equiptment i.e. NTL250 SACM so that was not the problem.

And now they are going to give unlimited it's even better as I no longer have to keep checking my usage. Not that I download that much anyway prob about 30-50 gig a month.

All NTL need to do is bring their prices in line with others and they will be in my good books! ;)

AndrewJ
27-12-2005, 15:42
Not forgetting alot of servers cannot give downloads at the full 10mb speed.

Planetgarb
27-12-2005, 17:58
Does any capping limit effect time spent online gameing ?

SnoopZ
27-12-2005, 19:28
Does any capping limit effect time spent online gameing ?

All internet usage effects your cap on the 10Mb tier currently.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

I wouldn't get all that excited about the 10MB as it ain't all it's cracked up to be!

I upgraded from the 2MB to the 10MB and although 60% of the time I was getting the full 10MB the rest of the time I was getting speeds of around 600k - 3MB So I decided to go back to the 2MB well after all seems a little stupid to pay 37.99 for a 600k - 3MB service right! :td:

There are some people out there that currently have a really good 10Mb connection(myself included), so to everyone that hasn't got it yet its worth trying it out before deciding to stay on their current tier. :)

dan_uk1
27-12-2005, 19:33
Yea im definatly gonna give it a go when its available to current 2mb customers but I'm not willing to upgrade now and pay £34.99 a month, I'm just hoping it becomes available soon.

Chrysalis
27-12-2005, 19:40
I am also considering downgrading but not decided yet. It is a bit of a false perception, browsing sites like cableforum is no faster unless you have heavy multitasking of your connection which would cause 2 meg to be saturated whilst you browsing. The main gain is you can download large files faster some of the time in the right conditions and the faster upload speed, the old 3rd advantage of a higher cap is now gone since the 2meg is becoming unmetered.

Paul
27-12-2005, 20:01
I am also considering downgrading but not decided yet. It is a bit of a false perception, browsing sites like cableforum is no faster unless you have heavy multitasking of your connection which would cause 2 meg to be saturated whilst you browsing.Browsing Cable Forum won't be any faster, as I have pointed out many times, many sites/servers are not on fast connections, so it matters little what your local connection speed is - our server connection is only about 2 meg. :)

AndrewJ
27-12-2005, 21:16
Well I think I will move to 10mb as my usage would never take me near the cap plus the extra speed is always nice to have :D

dan_uk1
27-12-2005, 21:32
Yea me too def gonna opt for the 10mb speed. Be brilliant to download at 1mb+ every second.

just21
27-12-2005, 21:45
How do I find out how much data I am transferring every month? Is there a page somewhere with teh stats?

dan_uk1
27-12-2005, 21:56
Erm dont think there's a specific page althought ntl did say they were going to allow you to see how much bandwidth you were using when they imposed these caps although I'm sure if you went to google and typed free bandwidth monitor or something along those lines you'd b able to find something.

Martyn
28-12-2005, 02:21
i didnt really notice the limit... im sure i download more then 30 gigs a month.. easy...

Chrysalis
28-12-2005, 02:58
Browsing Cable Forum won't be any faster, as I have pointed out many times, many sites/servers are not on fast connections, so it matters little what your local connection speed is - our server connection is only about 2 meg. :)

In that case it defenitly would be no faster but the point I was trying to make was when you browse websites the transfer rate is something like 30kB per sec. Main reason is it uses processing power to process the requests for each little image and part of the web page and it is nothing like simply downloading a file, for instance this reply box I am using to type this message has 21 smilies images it had to load to the right and another 14 below plus other images scattered across the page. If anyone keeps dumeter or netlimiter running whilst they do web browsing they will see peaks nowhere near 2mbit never mind 10mbit. So unless you download large files (like myself) or you have a household of numerous internet users who use the net simultaneously then you wont see much of a difference in downstream performance its more blagging rights then anything else. Even when it comes to downloading, probably something like <5% of the internet content will come to you at that speed, if you get 10mbit from a us http location in a single thread it is probably because you grabbing from a proxy cache. This is long winded so I wont add more :)

dan_uk1
28-12-2005, 10:31
Yea i understand that Chrysalis, like you I alaso download large files quiet often and we have multiple users in our household using the connection at anyone time. Also like I've said before it would be brilliant to have a 10mb for Xbox Live hosting even though I still consider the upload to be too low 512k.

brits
28-12-2005, 17:34
512 upload is set for 10meg connection and 2 meg connection is not being upgraded as yet but as from the 1st of Jan the 2 meg will be unlimeted upload and download so no cap limit..:D

matuneek
28-12-2005, 19:09
hey, im on xbox live too using 10 meg and online gaming goes by upload not download.

you can host bigger games on 512 compared to 256 but i wouldnt go too mad.

AndrewJ
28-12-2005, 19:10
512 upload is set for 10meg connection and 2 meg connection is not being upgraded as yet but as from the 1st of Jan the 2 meg will be unlimeted upload and download so no cap limit..:D

Any offical news on this.

Chrysalis
29-12-2005, 03:14
dan in that case it should be good for you. Although I download large files and I find it quite cool to watch them whizz down its lucking a bit more likely now I may redowngrade again since I would much more prefer the peace of mind of not having to worry about the 75gig limit.

Ave
29-12-2005, 12:49
I got a phone call today from NTL scheduling an appointment to swap out my terayon for a new modem, they said I would be getting upgraded to 4mb "soon".

Currently on 2mb in Dublin

Ignition
29-12-2005, 14:38
I got a phone call today from NTL scheduling an appointment to swap out my terayon for a new modem, they said I would be getting upgraded to 4mb "soon".

Currently on 2mb in Dublin

Interesting considering there isn't a 4Mbit service. Even if there were a Terayon would be quite acceptable.

You didn't give these guys any personal details did you?

Ave
30-12-2005, 16:57
It was ntl, my phone numbers unlisted, and it was a really odd number like 2500000

All they did was schedule an appointment, not ask anything :)

tallymanjohn
30-12-2005, 17:09
So just to get this straight, I'm currently on 2Mb and my son shares it for on-line gaming. I tend to only use it for downloading large files & speed isn't overly important - currently getting Adobe elements trial (375Mb in about 15mins) which is fine by me. But if I go for the capped 10Mb would my son get a lot of benefit or am I likely to be the one losing out - so basically, is a 5-fold speed increase better for on-line gaming?

festoid
31-12-2005, 17:34
So just to get this straight, I'm currently on 2Mb and my son shares it for on-line gaming. I tend to only use it for downloading large files & speed isn't overly important - currently getting Adobe elements trial (375Mb in about 15mins) which is fine by me. But if I go for the capped 10Mb would my son get a lot of benefit or am I likely to be the one losing out - so basically, is a 5-fold speed increase better for on-line gaming?

If you intend doing both at the same time then you may notice alot of lag on the game. If you do them seperately then to be honest you probably won't notice any difference at all. Most on-line games pings aren't drastically altered by an increase from 2M to 10M, if the pings are less than a 100 then 2M would be better as it has [ or will do] cap.

Wod
01-01-2006, 15:42
Right can i phone NTL and ask for a free upgrade to 10Mb?

neo123
02-01-2006, 04:01
I know this has been said before and im not trying to flame poor NTL, but it makes me sad that they cant have all tiers ready for the upgrade, or at least offer the other available ten meg tiers to the customers, i feel it is kind of wrong to have one section being upgraded and nothing (apart from unlimited useage of course) for the lower tier users.

It would of been nice to see and upgrade for the 1 and 2 meg users to 3meg all round, anyone agree?

And wod no you cant, the only available tiers are 2 meg unlimited, and 10 meg for 37.99 per month. The rollout for us lower tiers isnt until some point this year. have NO idea exactly when :S

Chrysalis
02-01-2006, 08:51
I think its fair actually, what would have been unfair is for ntl to upgrade lower tiers in one area and people paying more in another area not be upgraded. What is clear is ntl couldnt upgrade their entire userbase in one sweep so they did do it the fairest way which I applaud them for and that is to provide the service to the highest bill payer's first. You can have the upgrade now should you be willing to pay for it, if not you need to be patient.