eg - down in the Cardiff area here
anybody remember

"Kung fu eddy", attacking passing traffic barechested

"The horse", behaving and sounding like a horse for no apparent reason

"Albert", shaking hands with non existant people throughout the day

I am sure we do not have the monopoly on these

Ramrod
05-11-2003, 22:43
In Boscombe there is a man who has a galvanized bucket on his head (a la Ned Kelly) and a young deranged woman who wears strange clothing and walks very quickly (talking to herself)....

peachey
05-11-2003, 23:43
In Boscombe there is a man who has a galvanized bucket on his head (a la Ned Kelly) and a young deranged woman who wears strange clothing and walks very quickly (talking to herself)....

that's the sort of thing we want to hear about

classic stuff

keep 'em coming!

Bex
05-11-2003, 23:49
in leeds there was the drunkard man....no matter what time of day it was, he always seemed to get on my bus and sit next to me and sing to me :erm:

peachey
06-11-2003, 00:14
in leeds there was the drunkard man....no matter what time of day it was, he always seemed to get on my bus and sit next to me and sing to me :erm:

what did he sing bexy?

Bex
06-11-2003, 00:31
what did he sing bexy?

he used to sing irish songs...tbh couldnt make out the words he was ****ed

Paul K
06-11-2003, 00:33
We have an annoying local character that pops up now and then.
Always asks annoying questions or spouts inane drivel at you. Never takes the hint when you say "bugger off" and keeps coming back even when you make it clear you aren't interested.

handyman
06-11-2003, 02:00
We have an annoying local character that pops up now and then.
Always asks annoying questions or spouts inane drivel at you. Never takes the hint when you say "bugger off" and keeps coming back even when you make it clear you aren't interested.

na huh you dont say, not round here :erm:

Escapee
06-11-2003, 07:35
we all know 'em

we see 'em every day
lets see a few listed

eg - down in the Cardiff area here
anybody remember

"Kung fu eddy", attacking passing traffic barechested

"The horse", behaving and sounding like a horse for no apparent reason

"Albert", shaking hands with non existant people throughout the day

I am sure we do not have the monopoly on these

Is Albert also the guy who tries to shake hands and salutes everyone in Cardiff on a Friday night when I am drinking there?

The one that I am thinking of is old, small, grey hair sticking up and seems to shake a lot!

I also remember the guy who was tall and skinny with a wooly hat and shopping wheely basket who used to attend the radio rallies in south wales, he was apparently from cardiff and used to buy lots of junk to put on his trolley.

I have not seen him for a number of years.

Perhaps we should also mention some of the funny women that are about Cardiff in the nights. :D

peachey
06-11-2003, 08:35
Is Albert also the guy who tries to shake hands and salutes everyone in Cardiff on a Friday night when I am drinking there?

:D

yeah sounds like

but have not seem him round for a long time

there was that other very short bloke too, who would always be shouting abuse

timewarrior2001
06-11-2003, 09:59
In my town (Billingham) we have Mad Kenny, well I say we have, he's either:-
a) Absoultely normal
b) In hospital because he stops taking his medication
c) absolutley insane, following women, threatening gangs of lads (dangerous for hos won safety ((but everyone knows he is actually harmless)) shouting at cars and buses and shaking his fists at them.

Legend has it he went a little loopy after his mother was knocked over and killed by a bus. I have spokent ot the guy when he is "well" and he actually is a nice guy, a little lonely but harmless.
He does scare women sometimes, but that is not his intention. He just tends to follow people and doesnt realise that he really shouldnt follow women walking on their own.

we also have..........

Marine Man. Marine Man is a strange creation obsessed with gaining entry to ther Royal Marines. He has an approximate mental age of 11 and can often be seen jogging around the streets of Billingham wearing a Royal Marines training jacket and carrying a rucksack full of bricks. Who knows in the event of nuclear war a ginger haired retard carrying a rucksack full of bricks could be vital to the survival of western civilisation.

virtual-angel
06-11-2003, 11:29
Well in my town (Coatbridge near glasgow) we have a few!

The Cowboy - An old guy with long grey hair who always wears leather chaps with fringes a leather waistcoat and a cowboy hat and greets everyone with the word 'howdy' in a strange american accent.

The Legend - A strange loner who comes into the pub himself, stands by himself, only drinks tap water then sings Firestarter at the karioke and jumps around like keith flint.

And then every town has one, your good old tranny complete with fake boobs, heavy facial regrowth and red lippy!

Bex
06-11-2003, 11:56
i just remembered a few more from leeds.....
a women who walks round leeds uni with proper 50s clothing.....u know the big skirts, the scarf thingy tied around the neck

and the old weirdo in the club........he's gotta be in his 50s or so and he stands in the middle of the dancefloor and dances away........hardly ever speaks to anyone, he's a right character.....
i rememeber one night, another strange man decided to do the same thing....boy was there a compition between the two lol

Escapee
06-11-2003, 12:39
yeah sounds like

but have not seem him round for a long time

there was that other very short bloke too, who would always be shouting abuse

I have seen him within the last few weeks, I think he was about last friday night.

There was a guy who was allways about on the street in Crumlin near the traffic lights at the bottom of Crumin Hill (S Wales) if anyone knows it. He sometimes walkled out in front of the traffic acting vague and looked a bit like a tramp.

I heard a very sad story that his wife and kids were killed in a house fire and he would not stay indoors since that incident.

I also saw him in the Navigation pub in Crumlin, a very rough valley pub where Oliver Reed frequented a few years before he died.

peachey
06-11-2003, 12:55
I
I also saw him in the Navigation pub in Crumlin, a very rough valley pub where Oliver Reed frequented a few years before he died.

thats not the same Navigation pub by Abercynnon? is it?

or is that the navigation arms

Escapee
06-11-2003, 13:00

or is that the navigation arms

No the one in Crumlin.

I have only been drinking in Abercynon once and the Nav in Abercynon sounds familiar!

I am not an alcoholic honest :beer:

Chris
06-11-2003, 15:47

or is that the navigation armsHardly likely. A quick Multimap search (http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?qs=q&starttime=0%3A00&client=public&itineraryxylist=308091%2C195225%3B320953%2C198229&rn=GB&rt=route.htm) shows that Abercynon and Crumlin are 12 miles apart. You're slipping.

According to yell.co.uk the Old Navigation is in Crumlin, the Navigation House is in Abercynon. Of course, someone who wasn't local could easily get the two confused.

peachey
06-11-2003, 16:17
Hardly likely. A quick Multimap search (http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?qs=q&starttime=0%3A00&client=public&itineraryxylist=308091%2C195225%3B320953%2C198229&rn=GB&rt=route.htm) shows that Abercynon and Crumlin are 12 miles apart. You're slipping.

According to yell.co.uk the Old Navigation is in Crumlin, the Navigation House is in Abercynon. Of course, someone who wasn't local could easily get the two confused.

not really

was outside it a couple of months back
having a few drinks on the way back from brecon

taff trail goes right past it

Escapee
06-11-2003, 18:12
Hardly likely. A quick Multimap search (http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?qs=q&starttime=0%3A00&client=public&itineraryxylist=308091%2C195225%3B320953%2C198229&rn=GB&rt=route.htm) shows that Abercynon and Crumlin are 12 miles apart. You're slipping.

I have been in the Crumlin one and I am fairly certain the Abercynon one, but the one in Crumlin is just known as "The Nav" to the locals. I live about 5 miles away from it and used to go over there about once a month back a few years ago. :beer:

I live in Pontypool, and all the characters that I remember seem to of dissapeared from around here, we also have a short guy who goes around shouting and another who walks up the road talking to himself but thats about it. We also had a transvestite about in the early 80's and I must admit he was one of the uglies men that I have ever seen so he didn't look too good as a woman. I remember him coming into the shop where I had a Saturday job and he had hands like shovels and two day stubble, he wasn't half wobbling about on those high heels. :D

carlingman
07-11-2003, 00:19
Got a classic here down this way Newport/Cardiff.

We have a certain guy "the water man".

Basically he travels from Cardiff to Newport on the train with a trolley full of water bottles.

Pushes the trolley through Newport Town by the Castle goes up to a stream and fills the bottles and then pushes the trolley with full bottles right up a busy road across busiest roundabout in Newport.

He then gets the train into Cardiff and goes down by the side of the Milllenium Stadium and empties the bottles into the River Taff.

Then he repeats the above at least twice daily.

aliferste
07-11-2003, 15:26
Ay yes.....Mental illness is hilarious isnt it :erm:

Chris
07-11-2003, 15:41
Ay yes.....Mental illness is hilarious isnt it :erm:
You're so Right On it's painful... ;)

aliferste
07-11-2003, 18:10
You're so Right On it's painful... ;)

Eh?

I just dont find mental illness funny.

Things like

that's the sort of thing we want to hear about

classic stuff

keep 'em coming!

How about this one,
The other day I was talking to someone who was on a call when it turned out that a womens mental state had deteriotated so much she had attempted to stab her son. When they arrived with the police she was then attempting to swallow razor blades :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FANTASTIC eh!!!!! :D:D:D

Chris
07-11-2003, 18:36
I have a friend who suffers mental illness. He finds it possible to laugh at some of the things he has done while suffering psychosis, even though they were distressing (and sometimes dangerous) at the time. That is a kind of bitter-sweet humour, and not what we're generally talking about in this thread.

On the other hand, there's the harmless local oddball, who does strange things like filling water bottles from a stream and carrying them down to the bay, or, like a man who used to be on our bus home some evenings, would tell anyone who'd listen that 'Dr Who's on tonight!' ... even when it wasn't. I remember that guy with an affectionate kind of humour, and I would imagine most people in Newport would think of the Water Man that way too.

You are trying to generalise the particular. No-one is making a case that 'mental illness is funny' and certainly no-one has posted a story like yours and tried to suggest it's funny. It's extremely unfair of you to try to imply that Carlingman's post about a local 'character' and his water bottles is somehow on a level with laughing about someone trying to stab her son or eat razor blades.

aliferste
07-11-2003, 19:04
One mans "local oddball" is another mans case with complex needs. You dont see the reasons why people are odd in the way that they are.
People are laughing at odd symptoms ........I just dont find that funny!!