PDA

View Full Version : More incompetance from NTL

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 00:39
After I discovered my NTL line was dead I contacted the faults centre using 0800 052 2000. True to form, NTL offered only a limited service on faults. They are available between 8am to 8pm monday to friday and closed all day sunday. With BT their fault centre are opened 24 hours a day. Makes you wonder why NTL has the cheek to charge the same line rental as BT, while still offering a much inferior service. They do offer an 1 hour call back service where you leave your name, account number, description of the fault and a contact number. Unless you are a very quick talker you are unlikely to leave the full details requested by NTL on their voicemail system. Again, lack of thought from NTL.

Anyway, I decided to contact the other regions by dialling another a number and I came across the NW region. In true NTL spirit, I found her very argumentative and an unwillingness to help me solve my problem. I've asked her for a number to contact someone in the London region and eventually she gave me one. I dialled the number and I manage to speak to a very surprised Engineer. He seemed very helpful and he told me my line has been disconnected. This was done without my consent.

I'm going to give NTL hell this morning - followed up by a letter to OFTEL but what should be the level of compensation that I should received from NTL due to their usual level of incompetance.

yesman
05-11-2003, 00:46
After I discovered my NTL line was dead I contacted the faults centre using 0800 052 2000. True to form, NTL offered only a limited service on faults. They are available between 8am to 8pm monday to friday and closed all day sunday. With BT their fault centre are opened 24 hours a day. Makes you wonder why NTL has the cheek to charge the same line rental as BT, while still offering a much inferior service. They do offer an 1 hour call back service where you leave your name, account number, description of the fault and a contact number. Unless you are a very quick talker you are unlikely to leave the full details requested by NTL on their voicemail system. Again, lack of thought from NTL.

Anyway, I decided to contact the other regions by dialling another a number and I came across the NW region. In true NTL spirit, I found her very argumentative and an unwillingness to help me solve my problem. I've asked her for a number to contact someone in the London region and eventually she gave me one. I dialled the number and I manage to speak to a very surprised Engineer. He seemed very helpful and he told me my line has been disconnected. This was done without my consent.

I'm going to give NTL hell this morning - followed up by a letter to OFTEL but what should be the level of compensation that I should received from NTL due to their usual level of incompetance.
But why would they disconnect you ?
Maybe you were late paying ?
Maybe you could explain any possible reasons for NTL's actions

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 00:52
But why would they disconnect you ?
Maybe you were late paying ?
Maybe you could explain any possible reasons for NTL's actions

I pay by direct debit. This sort of thing has never happened to me during my 13 years as a cable customer.

yesman
05-11-2003, 00:54
I pay by direct debit. This sort of thing has never happened to me during my 13 years as a cable customer.
Fair enough !!

Paul
05-11-2003, 01:25
True to form, NTL offered only a limited service on faults. They are available between 8am to 8pm monday to friday and closed all day sunday. With BT their fault centre are opened 24 hours a day. What about Saturday ? Anyway, their (BT) fault centre may be open 24 x 7 but the engineers don't work all this time, you still have to wait until normal working hours for them.

Last time my (BT) ISDN line failed it was becaue they changed the pole I'm connected to and then didn't bother re-connecting my wires, I came home from work (on the Friday) to this and reported it at 7pm in the evening. I had to wait until Monday for a visit, even though their incompetent engineers had caused the problem.

Personally I have never had poor service from NTL but bloody awful service from BT which is why I moved from them. I don't doubt that some people get a raw deal from NTL and have a genuine reason to moan, I'm sure some people get excellent service from BT.

Some people however just seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder about NTL and assume that everyone thinks the same and just go on, and on, and on, and on ... until any valid points and complaints they may have had are just lost because people get bored of the same old record and just switch off and ignore them.

Bigtone
05-11-2003, 01:33
Still, Undisputedtruth has a point disconnecting ones line without consent is not on in my opinion. I would be angry too.

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 01:38
What about Saturday ? Anyway, their (BT) fault centre may be open 24 x 7 but the engineers don't work all this time, you still have to wait until normal working hours for them.

Last time my (BT) ISDN line failed it was becaue they changed the pole I'm connected to and then didn't bother re-connecting my wires, I came home from work (on the Friday) to this and reported it at 7pm in the evening. I had to wait until Monday for a visit, even though their incompetent engineers had caused the problem.

Personally I have never had poor service from NTL but bloody awful service from BT which is why I moved from them. I don't doubt that some people get a raw deal from NTL and have a genuine reason to moan, I'm sure some people get excellent service from BT.

Actually, I've got amazing service from BT. Anyway, my problem is still current, and I would like to know the level of compensation that is appropriate for me?

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 01:46
Oh well, the NTL voicemail response in 1 hour doesn't work. :rolleyes:

philip.j.fry
05-11-2003, 01:55
I've had my cable modem account disconnected for no reason whatsoever in the past, what annoyed me was that although it seems they can disconnect you at a moments notice when they have to recconnect you it takes two working days because they have to send a letter to somewhere else (at least that's what they told me).

Paul
05-11-2003, 01:55
Actually, I've got amazing service from BT. Anyway, my problem is still current, and I would like to know the level of compensation that is appropriate for me?Well I guess it depends on why you were disconneted and how much inconvienience you can prove.

Nemesis
05-11-2003, 09:01
Sorry to hear about you problems ... can you post the resolution.

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 09:54
I received a phone call from faults around 8 this morning. I was still in bed and they left a message on my voice mail. The 1571 is a very useful feature on my BT line and it is free. Faults advised me to contact customer services which I did. CS had told me that my notes indicated that I did not wish to be disconnected when I spoke to retentions in October.

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 11:02
I've spoken to retentions based in Lance. They accused me of consenting to disconnection and that I should contact sales. What utter rubbish. Anyway, I've now got in contact with OFTEL and they said they will carry my complaint forward.

Delnet
05-11-2003, 12:59
I've had my cable modem account disconnected for no reason whatsoever in the past, what annoyed me was that although it seems they can disconnect you at a moments notice when they have to recconnect you it takes two working days because they have to send a letter to somewhere else (at least that's what they told me).

I had my cable modem dissconnected by them, they wanted to charge me £50 if it was my fault. It wasn't but I never got £50 from them, after taking a days annual leave.

I was going to phone them up and ask for a credit on my a/c but couldn't be bothered with being on hold.

No problems with the CM since though!

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 13:29
So far I've taken half day leave so I will be asking for compensation.

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 14:20
An NTL engineer has just fixed my line.

After 7 calls to NTL and one to OFTEL my telephone service is back to normal.

Thanks to OFTEL :welcome: to sort out my problem.

Oh yeah, special thanks to the Engineer. :Peaceman:

th'engineer
05-11-2003, 14:25

Di not know you cared :p :rofl:

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 16:56
Di not know you cared :p :rofl:

Funny enough, your counterpart in London was having problems with his STB. :wavey:

orangebird
05-11-2003, 17:05

What did OFTEL do to help - I didn't think they dealt with individual cases? :confused:

Taf
05-11-2003, 18:22
We lost TV and BB for over 24 hours, but as it was after their offices were shut for the weekend, we just had to grin and bear it until Monday morning. I got £2.60 compensation for the loss of service after DEMANDING it...

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 20:08
What did OFTEL do to help - I didn't think they dealt with individual cases? :confused:

I would of thought, as you work for NTL, offered sincere apologies on behalf of NTL, and would make suggestion to how you would improve customer services to prevent problems that customer faced. :shocked:

th'engineer
05-11-2003, 20:52
I would of thought, as you work for NTL, offered sincere apologies on behalf of NTL, and would make suggestion to how you would improve customer services to prevent problems that customer faced. :shocked:
Who works for NTL cant see anyone

Undisputedtruth
05-11-2003, 20:59
Who works for NTL cant see anyone

Orangebird does.

Undisputedtruth
08-11-2003, 16:46
I checked with billings and for some reason my telephone line does not appear on my account. What is going on? Is this more ntl incompetance?

Defiant
08-11-2003, 16:55
We lost TV and BB for over 24 hours, but as it was after their offices were shut for the weekend, we just had to grin and bear it until Monday morning. I got £2.60 compensation for the loss of service after DEMANDING it...

Haha I remember when I lost BB on a saturday. They admitted it was their fault and would be down for half the day.

I demanded compensation as I do most of my internet business on weekends. After an argument they offered me 10p (which I never got)

Undisputedtruth
09-11-2003, 14:12
Haha I remember when I lost BB on a saturday. They admitted it was their fault and would be down for half the day.

I demanded compensation as I do most of my internet business on weekends. After an argument they offered me 10p (which I never got)

I'm expecting more than 10p for my troubles.

Chris
09-11-2003, 19:00

600k BB works out at about 82p per day. You should have held out for 40p in compensation.

Colin
10-11-2003, 11:12
I'm expecting more than 10p for my troubles.

Normally they offer the exact of amount of time you were down for, that is if you were actually billed for it, which by the sounds of it, you maybe weren't. You can sometimes get more if you pish though.

Do you have a resolution to this yet?

orangebird
10-11-2003, 11:45

Sorry, but I don't understand your post.....

What was it that OFTEL did to help get your account sorted?

th'engineer
10-11-2003, 12:48

What was it that OFTEL did to help get your account sorted?
I think UDT wants a personal apology of you on behalf of NTL for the treatment in respect of the phone line.

Which i do not think you should do in my opinion, if an apology is required it should be from that area. Not NTL HQ

orangebird
10-11-2003, 13:07
I think UDT wants a personal apology of you on behalf of NTL for the treatment in respect of the phone line.

Which i do not think you should do in my opinion, if an apology is required it should be from that area. Not NTL HQ

:rofl: :rofl: :LOL:#

Likely.... ;)

tabatha
10-11-2003, 13:28
Oh dear...yet another statement from UDT that he cannot back-up..[oftel]..could be he is very busy trying to find his postings that have been censored...but thats another thread....

Undisputedtruth
10-11-2003, 14:02
Oh dear...yet another statement from UDT that he cannot back-up..[oftel]..could be he is very busy trying to find his postings that have been censored...but thats another thread....

Tabatha, I think you're on the wrong thread. Try the censorship thread. :dunce: I can see no reason why I need to back up OFTEL. :rolleyes: I suggest you take your nonsense elsewhere!

Nemesis
10-11-2003, 14:10
Tabatha, I think you're on the wrong thread. Try the censorship thread. :dunce: I can see no reason why I need to back up OFTEL. :rolleyes: I suggest you take your nonsense elsewhere!
perhaps you should re-read tabatha's post :confused:

orangebird
10-11-2003, 14:11

You are correct UDT - you do not need to back anything up. However, you're reluctance to answer my question does make you ref to OFTEL and how they helped you look a bit suspicious - how did they help you with your ntl account? If you were to let me know, I could take this forward when helping other customers.... :)

Undisputedtruth
10-11-2003, 14:19

Well you wouldn't. It is all about apologising to your customers and how you would do things better. Don't bother reply to this as I know this is beyond your grasp. And then you have the cheek to expect me to answer your question. :rolleyes:

tabatha
10-11-2003, 14:23
Thank you UDT for confirming that your claim about oftel was generated by your usual hot air machine....I will do as you suggest and go to the sensorship thread....but why do I just know that you will not have produced ANY evidence to back up your claims???.
As for your suggestion that I take my nonsence elsewhere,where do you suggest??...after all,you produce more nonsence than all the other posters put together..which makes you the rubbish expert.
Finally do not even think that you can wind me up..at least,not untill you grow up in the true sense of the word.Have a nice day...

orangebird
10-11-2003, 14:23
Well you wouldn't. It is all about apologising to your customers and how you would do things better. Don't bother reply to this as I know this is beyond your grasp. And then you have the cheek to expect me to answer your question. :rolleyes:

I didn't understand your post as it was grammatically incorrect - neither my nor ntls' problem. And I asked about Oftel way before your demand for an apology from me - I asked this for the benefit of other customers too, so they may be able to approach them about their specific accounts should they have the same probelm as you.... :rolleyes:

You're full of it UDT. :upyours:

th'engineer
10-11-2003, 14:31
I didn't understand your post as it was grammatically incorrect - neither my nor ntls' problem. And I asked about Oftel way before your demand for an apology from me :rolleyes:

You're full of it UDT. :upyours:I thought we would get something about Oftel to be honest UDT you are not giving anyone any information .

You leave yourself open if you cannot support your statementys made within this forum.

I agree that parts of NTl have a lot of learning to do in supporting the customer but usually back it up with evidence.

You just look you are ranting with no substance

Undisputedtruth
10-11-2003, 16:59
At the moment, OFTEL is dealing with my case and so it would not be appropriate for me to comment at this stage. Even if NTL employees demands it. :rolleyes:

orangebird
10-11-2003, 17:05
At the moment, OFTEL is dealing with my case and so it would not be appropriate for me to comment at this stage. Even if NTL employees demands it. :rolleyes:

I never demanded, I asked a question. If you'd have given that reply above when I first asked, then most of the other posts needn't have been made.

I'm very curious about Oftel intervening, as it was my belief they only deal with companies as a whole if there are enough similar complaints, as opposed to dealing with a singular customers' account on the customers' behalf.

I look forward very much to the outcome, if you would be so good as to post it here. :)

PS Would you have considered me 'demanding' if I hadn't been an employee? :rolleyes:

th'engineer
10-11-2003, 17:12
why not you could update us on what they are doing,and i am not an employee yet

orangebird
10-11-2003, 17:14
why not you could update us on what they are doing,and i am not an employee yet

I wouldn't have thought so. It's probably all v top secret stuff, if UDT's involved...far too important for us mere mortals.... :)

Mark W
10-11-2003, 17:21
ok guys and girls...this is getting a little too personal.....how about we all take a deep breath and be nice?.....

th'engineer
10-11-2003, 17:22
I wouldn't have thought so. It's probably all v top secret stuff, if UDT's involved...far too important for us mere mortals.... :)
UDT complains about NTL but cannot be open and honest, what are the reasons.

orangebird
10-11-2003, 17:24

:shrug:

tbh, does anyone particularly care anymore?

edit Cheers for those who've repped me today :D

Mark W
10-11-2003, 17:30

well, if he chooses, thats his perogative - he does not HAVE to tell anyone anything.

The other side of the same coin is that he cant complain about something yet fail to give any details about it - or clain anyone is lying/incorrect etc without backing it up and still be taken remotley seriously.

Admittedly, you have have to ask, why would anyone carry on in that vein knowing that what they say is being needlessly dismissed purley because of their stubboness :shrug:

orangebird
10-11-2003, 17:32
<snip>

Admittedly, you have have to ask, why would anyone carry on in that vein knowing that what they say is being needlessly dismissed purley because of their stubboness :shrug:

such a tempting question to answer, but I don't think any of my replies would be within TOS.... ;) :LOL:

Undisputedtruth
10-11-2003, 20:18
well, if he chooses, thats his perogative - he does not HAVE to tell anyone anything.

Indeed ;)

The other side of the same coin is that he cant complain about something yet fail to give any details about it - or clain anyone is lying/incorrect etc without backing it up and still be taken remotley seriously.

Yes, I can complain about NTL incompetance, which is what this thread is all about. This thread is not about OFTEL and how they helped me. OFTEL did not make NTL incompetant. It was NTL making a usual arse of themselves. I simply said thanks to OFTEL.

yesman
10-11-2003, 20:52
I went to Oftel's wbsite and gleaned the following info, it would seem that UDT no longer has a complaint against NTL, as I have highlighted the reason in red text below, therefore I would have thought that UDT's complaint (if any) is over and done with as far as Oftel are concerned.

Correct or incorrect UDT ?
How to complain about your telephone service

What should I do first?

If you have a complaint, you should first raise the issue with your phone company and try to sort out the matter with them. But before you contact them, be clear about what exactly your complaint is and what you want done.

It is helpful to keep a proper record of your complaint that lists:

the date and time you spoke to your phone company; who you spoke to; and what they said or promised to do.You should also:

ask your phone company when you can expect your complaint to be answered or resolved (or both); keep copies of all correspondence; and check your conditions of service or contract with your phone company.What if I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get the answer I want?

First, give your phone company a chance to sort out your complaint.

If you feel you have been dealt with poorly or unreasonably, you can ask for your complaint to go to a higher level. Many companies have high-level teams which deal with customer complaints that cannot be sorted out in the first instance.

If you are still dissatisfied, you can contact Oftel for advice. We have to consider any complaint or enquiry about telecommunications services supplied in the UK. However, we do not have to deal with complaints or enquiries that appear to be frivolous.

Who do I contact at Oftel with a complaint or enquiry?

If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, please contact Oftelââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s Consumer Representation Section (lo-call rate number: 0845 714 5000).

A separate team is responsible for considering complaints from consumers living in Northern Ireland (lo-call rate number: 0845 714 5000).

See †˜Contact detailsââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ for postal and e-mail addresses.

Please note that all the above contact details will be changing in late 2003 when Oftel is replaced by Ofcom.

How will you help me?

Our skilled teams can handle your complaint or enquiry by phone, fax, letter, e-mail or textphone.

We may not have the powers to decide who is right or wrong, or to direct your phone company to take a particular course of action, but we will try to help you and your phone company reach a solution that suits both sides. If we have legal powers to act, we may use them. We cannot award compensation to consumers †“ but a separate organisation called the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman can (see †˜What if I still cannot sort out my disputeââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ below).

Our website has lots of information on complaints and includes answers to frequently asked questions.

Sometimes it may be more appropriate for you to follow up your complaint with another organisation. For example, your local trading standards office may be better able to help if you feel that you have not received the services you were promised. You can find your nearest trading standards office by using the website www.tradingstandards.gov.uk (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/)or by looking in your phone book. Or if your complaint relates to premium-rate services, the premium-rate regulator ICSTIS may be able to sort out your complaint (see †˜Contact detailsââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢).

What if I still cannot sort out my dispute?

The telecoms industry has set up an ombudsman scheme to resolve disputes between telephone companies and residential or small business customers. If your phone company is a member of the scheme, the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman (Otelo) will investigate your complaint. Otelo provides a free and independent service and, where a complaint is justified, can award up to £5,000 compensation. For more information, contact Otelo on 0845 050 1614 or see www.otelo.org.uk (http://www.otelo.org.uk/).

Undisputedtruth
10-11-2003, 21:30
I'm very curious about Oftel intervening, as it was my belief they only deal with companies as a whole if there are enough similar complaints, as opposed to dealing with a singular customers' account on the customers' behalf.

Luckily, I don't have to rely on NTL employees lack of knowledge. :dunce:

YESMAN: I gave NTL every opportunity to sort out their incompetances before I contacted OFTEL. And no, there is no mutual satisfaction until I've been compensated fully for my troubles. ;)

yesman
10-11-2003, 21:42
Luckily, I don't have to rely on NTL employees lack of knowledge. :dunce:
Thats good to hear, because I have just noticed this on the service status page..........

Planned Maintenance w/c 10/11/2003
10 November 2003 15:49

As part of the ongoing project to maintain and upgrade our cable network, there is a requirement to carry out work on components which may result in a loss of service for the duration of the work.

On the morning of Tuesday 10th November between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Software upgrades and network load rebalancing work may result in a short loss of service to Broadband Internet customers nationwide.

Database maintenance will mean that new Broadband and Narrowband customers will be unable to register for the service. Also existing customers attempting to modify their usernames/passwords or view their online ebill will be unable to do so for the duration of the maintenance. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these planned works may cause.

Runs and looks for calender :o

Undisputedtruth
12-11-2003, 01:27
I contacted CS and spoke to a nice chap where he informed me I've got a goodwill gesture and compensation for loss of service. He even rang me back! Now if they can offer me Digital TV free of charge for the next 12 months then who knows I may never say a bad word about NTL again.

orangebird
12-11-2003, 08:55
I contacted CS and spoke to a nice chap where he informed me I've got a goodwill gesture and compensation for loss of service. He even rang me back! Now if they can offer me Digital TV free of charge for the next 12 months then who knows I may never say a bad word about NTL again.

Open to bribes then.... :rolleyes:

How can you have such double standards? You berate ntl for the retention deals they give away, then you're all open to receiving them yourself. You're priceless....

th'engineer
12-11-2003, 10:38

How can you have such double standards? You berate ntl for the retention deals they give away, then you're all open to receiving them yourself. You're priceless....
From UDts comments it looks like he is interested in just one thing himself nice to know

Stuart
12-11-2003, 10:53

How can you have such double standards? You berate ntl for the retention deals they give away, then you're all open to receiving them yourself. You're priceless....But surely if they are offered to UDT, they are sound business sense? After all, he/she was perfectly happy to accept them and not call them bribes when offered by another company.

</sarcasm>

tabatha
12-11-2003, 11:33
Why do I see another cloud of hot air rising from the keyboard of our esteemed scribe,UDT??..
He has[supposedly] been offered a goodwill gesture and compensation..he even gets call back..but he has no idea what he will be offered...possibly 12mths free tv...possibly..and there was silly old me thinking he had probs with his fone...ah well..
At least he is nice and chirpy..obviously well recovered from his bout of stress...I look forward with eager anticipation to seeing his sensored posts...but thats another story...

basa
12-11-2003, 11:41
Why do I see another cloud of hot air rising from the keyboard of our esteemed scribe,UDT??..
He has[supposedly] been offered a goodwill gesture and compensation..he even gets call back..but he has no idea what he will be offered...possibly 12mths free tv...possibly..and there was silly old me thinking he had probs with his fone...ah well..
At least he is nice and chirpy..obviously well recovered from his bout of stress...I look forward with eager anticipation to seeing his sensored posts...but thats another story...

Ooooh..... http://mindscraps.com/s/otn/animals/catsmiley.gif Meeeow !! :rofl:

:p

Undisputedtruth
12-11-2003, 20:10

Where does it say in my post that I'm having problems with digital TV? It seems your imagination is getting the better of you.

Nemesis
13-11-2003, 08:36
Where does it say in my post that I'm having problems with digital TV? It seems your imagination is getting the better of you.
You do seem to have a problem with tabatha's posts .... the point she was making ... I believe ... was that you were possibly getting compensation for your phone issue by getting some free time on your digital tv subscription.

Paul
13-11-2003, 09:01
Where does it say in my post that I'm having problems with digital TV? It seems your imagination is getting the better of you.:LOL: Your post doesn't mention dtv, which seems to be exactly the point she was making.

Undisputedtruth
13-11-2003, 09:09
You do seem to have a problem with tabatha's posts .... the point she was making ... I believe ... was that you were possibly getting compensation for your phone issue by getting some free time on your digital tv subscription.

Wrong again, I'm afraid. If I said "I got" that means I received something and it was financial compensation. All I'm trying to say is that I am negotiating for further compensations. I hope this clears things up.

Undisputedtruth
13-11-2003, 09:10
:LOL: Your post doesn't mention dtv, which seems to be exactly the point she was making.
:confused: Whatever!