PDA

View Full Version : bluejacking

kronas
04-11-2003, 14:51
using bluetooth wireless technology you can now send messages via mobile phone to someone you dont know

apparently it could be the next big thing since original texting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3237755.stm

dr wadd
04-11-2003, 14:54
Not really, you have to be a total monkey to leave your mobile phone in permanent Bluetooth discovery mode. If these people are fed up with being bluejacked then it is their own stupid fault. This is very much a non-news story.

kronas
04-11-2003, 15:02
Not really, you have to be a total monkey to leave your mobile phone in permanent Bluetooth discovery mode.

some people dont know how to correctly configure there phones as the report says you will usally find one somewhere crowded

If these people are fed up with being bluejacked then it is their own stupid fault.

nope the report does not mention that

This is very much a non-news story.

i dont think so it could be a handy device for someone and its free :p

Dooby
04-11-2003, 15:24
maybe these people WANT to be bluejacked :|

and dont you have to enable 'discoverable' mode on most phones ( i.e. it defaults to off )

dr wadd
04-11-2003, 15:52
maybe these people WANT to be bluejacked :|

and dont you have to enable 'discoverable' mode on most phones ( i.e. it defaults to off )

Precisely, another reason why this is a non-story.

downquark1
04-11-2003, 15:56
This reminds me of a news 'story' where people were setting kazza to share their entire hard drive 'by mistake' or 'without realising'.

But the windows messenger service pop-up program is ENTIRELY microsoft's fault since it is on by default and is quite hard to disable (for people with reasonable windows knowledge)

dr wadd
04-11-2003, 15:58
nope the report does not mention that

Maybe not explicitly, but is implied by the fact that one of the reactions the person likes to see is if the recipient acts negatively, so that would suggest that the person on the receiving end isn`t pleased with the outcome. However, since it is a result of their own stupidity then so be it, they probably shouldn`t be allowed to have a mobile phone in the first instance.

Chris
04-11-2003, 16:49
Maybe not explicitly, but is implied by the fact that one of the reactions the person likes to see is if the recipient acts negatively, so that would suggest that the person on the receiving end isn`t pleased with the outcome. However, since it is a result of their own stupidity then so be it, they probably shouldn`t be allowed to have a mobile phone in the first instance.
Hang on, that's over-reacting a little isn't it? Firstly, the article really doesn't come from the angle that this could be a problem and I think it's too much to infer what you do simply by a throwaway line about some people reacting 'negatively' to getting bluejacked. It sounds very much like a harmless craze to me.

Secondly, it's not non-news; an increasing numebr of people are doing it. It is current events. That is what news is. You may not be interested in it, but that's a different matter.

Thirdly, it's way over the top to condemn people for 'stupidity' for not having their phones set up properly. The days when a user of any technology could reasonably be expected to know all its functions intimately are long gone. As for not allowing people to have a mobile phone just because they don't get their settings right ... well, that's so silly there's not a lot of point taking you up on it.

Alan Waddington
04-11-2003, 19:17
I'm one of the idiot's with bluetooth discovery left on. Think, I'll turn it off :blush:

dobbin
05-11-2003, 14:08
Think Nokia 6310 phones come with it enabled by default, whilst those lovely people at Ericsson turn it off.