PDA

View Full Version : Shoddy Orange Network

peachey
03-11-2003, 22:00
Anyone else agree when I say that the Orange network in South Wales is little better than useless?

About 4 out of 5 of every call I make is cut off midway and has to be redialled and then when you do establish a connection about 1 out of 3 words is illegible

I mailed them via thier website but, unsuprisingly, have not had a reply over a month later

Chimaera
03-11-2003, 22:03
It's like that in parts of the North West too peachey - a mate of mine had problems with her Orange phone last weekend - and of course Orange CS didn't want to know!!

peachey
03-11-2003, 22:06
It's like that in parts of the North West too peachey - a mate of mine had problems with her Orange phone last weekend - and of course Orange CS didn't want to know!!

I am pay as you go - you phone them up and they hit you for a whopping charge to talk to them

If you go to west wales - Like Llangranog for instance, you simply cannot connect to anything - full stop

downquark1
03-11-2003, 22:07
I always found Orange CS helpful and reasonable, much much better than vodaphone.

peachey
03-11-2003, 22:12
I always found Orange CS helpful and reasonable, much much better than vodaphone.

yeah right
'empathising with your frustration' etc

it does nothing to make the network better tho - and there is little to be gained from sounding off at someone on the end of the phone at orange

Alan Waddington
04-11-2003, 01:04
I suggest you try O2. Both O2 and Vodaphone use GSM on 900MHz while Orange & T-Mobile use PCN on 1800MHz. The 900MHz signals propagate further (higher power Tx specification & also Tx efficiency drops at higher frequencies) so the base stations can be further apart. Since base stations cost money, there may be insufficient 1800MHz stations in some rural (and/or hilly)areas. Find a mate with O2 & see if he gets decent reception in your area. In defence of Orange, I use it here & it's fine at home & work. In fact I get pretty good all round radio reception at home :)

peachey
04-11-2003, 01:08
I suggest you try O2. Both O2 and Vodaphone use GSM on 900MHz while Orange & T-Mobile use PCN on 1800MHz. The 900MHz signals propagate further (higher power Tx specification & also Tx efficiency drops at higher frequencies) so the base stations can be further apart. Since base stations cost money, there may be insufficient 1800MHz stations in some rural (and/or hilly)areas. Find a mate with O2 & see if he gets decent reception in your area. In defence of Orange, I use it here & it's fine at home & work. In fact I get pretty good all round radio reception at home :)

might take you up on that advice as wales has lots of hills

"if you can see the hills it is about to rain, if you can't see them it already is raining etc"

Ramrod
04-11-2003, 01:56
I once phoned up Orange to complain about the poor signal strength ( I was in SE London!) and was asked where I was. 'On the first floor' I replied. 'Ah' she said 'thats the problem, our radio waves travel at ground level, thats why your signal is poor'

I was so stunned by the monumental cr*p she was spouting that I could not summon up the will to jump down her throat/point out the massive flaws in her statement....I weakly just thanked her for the advice and rang off. Just couldn't believe such monumental bulls*it:mis:

Gogogo
04-11-2003, 09:22
It's those little hills in Wales! We use Orange and it's no problem, we have own little hills here, also always found Orange CS generally helpful and very fast response, problems sorted fast. Their web site is just about the most clumsy and slow we have used.

:wavey:

Russ
04-11-2003, 09:32
Anyone else agree when I say that the Orange network in South Wales is little better than useless?

About 4 out of 5 of every call I make is cut off midway and has to be redialled and then when you do establish a connection about 1 out of 3 words is illegible

That's strange, I live in South Wales and never had a problem when I was with Orange.....

*cough*

Defiant
04-11-2003, 09:39
Orange are a bag of ****e. My MMS has not been working for 5 days. Its took five days for them to return my call. When they returned it they put with through to tech support. What happened then well they gave me the number to the helpdesk.

I'm still without MMS. Do they have shares in NTL or something

leeswin
04-11-2003, 11:13
i left orange 2 years ago best thing i ever did!

downquark1
04-11-2003, 11:20
Their web site is just about the most clumsy and slow we have used.

No that's odeon :p

Russ
04-11-2003, 11:34
So the best advice is to ditch all your 20th century techonolgy-phones and get yourself a nice 3G handset, namely a Motorola a920 :D

downquark1
04-11-2003, 11:54
WOW, I always thought Orange were reasonable and quality, I guess I was wrong - well I was never use it that much anyway.

Nemesis
04-11-2003, 11:58
According to the most recent stats ...

Customer Gains
Orange are losing more customers than they are gaining.
O2 have gained the most over the last year.
Vodafone are gaining but much smaller than O2
T-Mobile small gain

Networks with most customers
1 Orange
2 O2
3 Vodafone
4 T-Mobile

Orange will remain top for quite a while, as it will take some time for O2 to take top position ... but Orange don't seem to be too worried.

Note that Virgin Mobile use the T-Mobile network ... and the new Tesco Mobile will be on O2