PDA

View Full Version : Utilise 2nd Line?

alanbenjy
08-12-2005, 11:15
Hi
This is a techi question couldnt find anywhere to put:rolleyes:

Anyway here it is;
I have AOL broadband (512) on main BT line. We had a second line added to the house a BT business line of some sort? for my wifes work, then it was disconnected as she went back to the office.

I asked BT if I could have the line converted to normal BT line as it goes into spare bedroom where I use PC. They said no as it was a seperate line and could only be used as intended as is different cable or something.

So now im thinking could I go into the bt box (the small one outside my house fixed under the doorstep) and where the second line comes from the exchange - disconnect and then connect the first line (now adsl) to the extension part which goes to bedroom thereby creating an extension? Not sure if the cable will be usable tho??

This is to save me running an extension lead up the stairs!

Any help appreciated...thx

Chris
08-12-2005, 11:23
Moved to Other Telco Services discussion.

You should not tamper with the wall box or the master sockets as they are BT property. That said, they are being awkward sods, and you're not using the second line anyway, so if you screw it up you've not lost anything.

That said, I am not a telephone tech, I have no idea whether it is possible to make a BT master socket (which presumably is what the box in your spare room is) funtion like an extension socket. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. The one difficulty I think I see is that any extension sockets you have, must be wired from the master, not the wall box outside (I think). So, if you pull the second line out of the external box, you may have to then wire it in to the master socket downstairs. I think. :disturbd: :D

Stuart
08-12-2005, 12:06
I'd just run an extension. BT charge heavily for any repairs if they find you have tampered with the socket. A friend of mine did, it went wrong and BT charged him £110 for a new socket.

alanbenjy
08-12-2005, 12:13
I think Chris T gave me an idea. I could remove the 2nd line (or just cut it outside of the box) and join a piece to the internal master socket and see if that works.

I am trying to avoid running an integrated extension as it would involve getting a line to the upstairs in walls, under floorboards/carpets etc and as the 2nd line goes around the outside of the house then thru wall into room it is ideal! plus we are thinking of moving, so a quick fix would suit.