PDA

View Full Version : yet more outsourcing

kronas
02-11-2003, 02:36
lloyds tsb has jumped on the outsourcing bandwagan and has said it will be closing its newcastle call center and transferring it to india

1,000 jobs will be lost

"We operate in a fiercely competitive environment and it is vital that we find ways of running our business effectively and competitively."

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1109321,00.html

what puzzles me is, is it really cheaper for them to have call centers in india i mean its an international call that costs you more to call surely ?

or do they just pay the workers peanuts :rolleyes:

Jerrek
02-11-2003, 02:55
It costs me less than 6 UK cents a minute to call India, and I imagine since you're closer it would be even cheaper. For them it is peanuts compared to the amount they are saving in salaries.

Although things like that annoy me.

Xaccers
02-11-2003, 03:58
UK cents? What are they? :D

These companies that use call centers abroad buy call time in bulk, it costs next to nothing as Jerrek says.
That's also how companies like onetel can offer cheaper than BT call charges.

Tricky
02-11-2003, 13:02
UK customer would pay for a call to a local (UK) hub (usually London) they would then normally use a private line between the two countries to keep the costs low. Problem is that you are reliant on the Indian side of the telco company who would normally bounce the call through a number of "Cheap" routes - Listen for the line clicks when you call one of these companies

Then when you get through, try get off the beaten track with you're questions and listen to the person at the other end use "standard scripted answers" to reply no matter what you ask.

kronas
02-11-2003, 13:09
Then when you get through, try get off the beaten track with you're questions and listen to the person at the other end use "standard scripted answers" to reply no matter what you ask.

not to mention the incoherent voice acting :p

Tricky
02-11-2003, 13:14
not to mention the incoherent voice acting :p

Depending on which company is used they are getting VERY good at this, I was involved in looking at some earlier this year and the results were very supprising