PDA

View Full Version : Steven Spielberg Presents Taken

Jerrek
02-11-2003, 02:30
http://www.scifi.com/taken/images/taken_splashNEW.jpg

Steven Spielberg Presents Taken

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289830/

Taken spans spans five decades and four generations, centering on three families: the Keys, Crawfords, and Clarkes. World War II veteran Russell Keys is plagued by nightmares of his abduction by aliens during the war; the Roswell incident transforms Owen Crawford from ambitious Air Force captain to evil shadow government conspirator; the unhappily married Sally Clarke is impregnated by an alien visitor. As the decades go by, the heirs of each are affected by the machinations of the aliens, culminating with the birth of Allie Keys, who is the final product of the aliens' experimentation and holds the key to their future.

DVD: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CA1GW/702-8145992-2020017

Steven Spielberg's alien abduction opus Taken is what happens when you cross-breed Close Encounters of the Third Kind with The Waltons. Obviously flushed with the success of the TV miniseries Band of Brothers, Spielberg's Dreamworks studio has created an equally epic 10-part story chronicling 50 years of habitual abduction over several generations of three American families. Beginning with the most notorious alien cover-up in U.S. history, the 1947 "crash" at Roswell, New Mexico, Taken introduces the "Greys" and the families they routinely abduct, probe, and, in a couple of cases, impregnate over the course of the ten 90-minute episodes. The three families are: the Keys, from which first Russell, then his son Jessie, then grandson Danny, are all abducted; the Clarkes, who are descended from a liaison between lonely put-upon housewife Sally Clarke and one of the Roswell crash survivors; and the Crawfords, the ruthless G-men who are committed to uncovering the purpose behind the alien visitations at any cost.

It's this question that forms the main thread of the story: but even though the Greys' actions are at best ambiguous and at worst hostile, the viewer can't help feeling that after all this systematic abuse of their human test subjects the aliens will in the end present them with a cure for cancer. In fact, Taken is Spielberg at his most touchy-feely: for all its science fiction trappings it's basically a soap opera, lacking the sinister undercurrent of either Dark Skies or The X-Files. Nevertheless, it's an engaging series with decent performances--most notably Joel Gretsch as psychotic Owen Crawford--good special effects, and an engaging enough storyline to make it entertaining, if somewhat disposable, TV. --Kristen Bowditch

There are 10 movies in this short series, each 2 hours long. That makes for a 20 hour story. Taken is definitely a Spielberg production. The story is captivating and the plot very exciting.

I just finished the last movie (over a span of 3 days--it was a 7 GB torrent--Sci Fi is showing it now, but I couldn't wait for it). Two thumbs up. If you haven't seen this, make a point of watching it. (Yeah yeah, I know, I'm late, but better late than never...)

Nor
02-11-2003, 02:31
I remember it being on BBC2 earlier this year. Didn't get to watch it however, but looking forward to it being repeated.

Xaccers
02-11-2003, 03:59
I couldn't get into it, but then I missed a few episodes.
What was with the big mouse?

aliferste
02-11-2003, 10:16
It was fantastic, although bbc2 spoiled it by not showing it for a couple of weeks at a time...mucking up the schedule etc. Eventally i had to download them all to fisnish the series!

downquark1
02-11-2003, 10:55
Seen it, it was brilliant, keeps you guessing

ic14
02-11-2003, 11:10
Am i one of the few people who buys dvds instead of downloading them?

Anywaay i thought this was an excellent series. Couldnt help but think it was a bit long per episode (90 mins in the uk, no adverts :)) so im glad i got the dvd, can stop and start if i want.

Paul
02-11-2003, 12:11
It was an excellent programme, I enjoyed it. :D

Paul K
02-11-2003, 12:17
Got the boxset, just need time to watch it now:(

duncant403
03-11-2003, 09:18
Yes, the UK DVD box set was released months ago (last June IIRC). Who said the Americans (and Canadians) get stuff before we do :)

aliferste
03-11-2003, 15:10
Am i one of the few people who buys dvds instead of downloading them?

Im going to buy it :)

But BBC made such a mess of their times that i was compelled to download it. I dont have a video so couldnt tape it!!

Theodoric
08-11-2003, 19:22
In the light of the various Xmas threads, it has just struck me that the title of this thread could be taken as meaning that some lowlife has just pinched all of the festivally-wrapped parcels under the Spielberg family Xmas tree. :)