View Full Version : Social Stereotyping

downquark1
01-11-2003, 20:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3230565.stm
Your opinions, who's to blame?

I blame the americans, fat yankees :D

Bex
01-11-2003, 21:27
i would have guessed the second to last lass on the right......

it's true though there is stereotyping all the time...when i tell people i am a philosophy graduate they normally either say "oh intelligent" or give me a wide berth because they think i am gonna try and argue with them

Paul K
01-11-2003, 21:33
i would have guessed the second to last lass on the right......

it's true though there is stereotyping all the time...when i tell people i am a philosophy graduate they normally either say "oh intelligent" or give me a wide berth because they think i am gonna try and argue with them
Argue? You? :rofl:
I guessed that one too???? Strange :confused:

Bex
01-11-2003, 21:37
Argue? You? :rofl:
I guessed that one too???? Strange :confused:

:rofl: i don't argue that much

Chris
01-11-2003, 21:41
Stereotypes persist because they have in the past contained enough of a measure of truth to gain popular acceptance. But they are 'stereotypes' because they are not universally true, and in some cases may no longer be true at all.

homealone
01-11-2003, 22:01
Stereotypes persist because they have in the past contained enough of a measure of truth to gain popular acceptance. But they are 'stereotypes' because they are not universally true, and in some cases may no longer be true at all.

yes - in a way a stereotype 'takes an average' of the group it describes - DQ1's example of "fat Americans" was an amusing example.;)

- and of course that 'average' is constantly updating in the real world - but, unfortunately, not in the perception of those who use stereotypes to form their views.

- better to 'take as you find' & keep moving on, I feel:)

aliferste
02-11-2003, 11:19
A stereotype usually has no basis in fact! Stereotypes are placed on groups by other groups misconceptions.

You could never argue that the Irish were ever thick and that is why they have that stereotype!

Chris
02-11-2003, 15:12
A stereotype usually has no basis in fact! Stereotypes are placed on groups by other groups misconceptions.

You could never argue that the Irish were ever thick and that is why they have that stereotype!
True, and I never said that.

The rural way of life that persisted in Ireland was interpreted as their being 'thick' by the more urban, industrial British (who, incidentally, got a lot of their 'thick Irishman' jokes from the Irish themselves, who make fun of Kerrymen) in much the same way as any modern metropolitan person might make fun of a 'country bumpkin'. It's a stereotype based on the city dweller's own definitions of what is 'thick' and what is 'intelligent'. You could say that this is therefore a misconception, but then you could equally argue that it is unreasonable to declare the city dweller's definition of 'thick' as invalid simply because you happen to disagree with it. If you accept this definition of 'thick', then a certain proportion of the rural Irish population were indeed 'thick' ... enough of them to lead to a popularly accepted stereotype in any case.

Being part Irish on my mother's side I would certainly disagree that the Irish are thick, or that they ever were. Some stereotypes are based on a degree of truth, others are borne out of outright prejudice. I would hesitate to say that they are 'usually' misconceptions though, and I would be interested in your evidence for saying that the majority of stereotypes follow the 'misconception' rather than the 'grain of truth' model.

kronas
02-11-2003, 15:16
stereotyping im sure all of us have done that at one time or another i know i have but i try and keep an open mind because you cant really tell if someone is in a certain job because they fit the physical criteria some choose the strangest of jobs but you would think they are doing something completely diffarent......

aliferste
02-11-2003, 17:54
. I would hesitate to say that they are 'usually' misconceptions though, and I would be interested in your evidence for saying that the majority of stereotypes follow the 'misconception' rather than the 'grain of truth' model.

OOHHHH!!!!!

Im not going down that road again ;)

Maggy
02-11-2003, 18:25
me neither.i've learned that you can never pigeon hole a person.I learnt that the first time an ex-pupil came back to see me.when they left i had thought hat they would have a couple of kids and be settled down by the time they were 20.well they didn't.they grasped an opportunity presented to them to go to college through the workplace and by the time i next saw them they had A levels and had started on a degree course.
i've learnt that watching many aquaintances/friends take a second bite at an education that they interupted to get married and have a family.most went on to become fulltime secretaries,teachers,nurses and solicitors and i'm reffering to people of both genders.

the biggest stereotyping occurred when women were seeking equality with men in the workplace.that women couldn't manage to be engineers,pilots,HGV drivers.that men couldn't be midwives,nurses,childcarers.such tosh!

incog. :ninja:

downquark1
02-11-2003, 18:31
My school teaches who defyed convention:

Art: Obese Oldhamer with an strong accent who played rugby
Chemistry: Bald(shaved bald) cheerful man
Physics: VERY tall yorkshire man, strong accent, enjoyed crashing motor bikes. The way he moved suggested he would punch you at any moment. I would have called that experiencing Physics first hand :D
P.E: one looked like a pirate - seriously: bald, black eye patch and moustache

Atomic22
02-11-2003, 20:11
some stereotypes will never go away though.....everyone will always say the irish are thick.. the welsh worry sheep..scots wear skirts..etc etc because "comedians" like jim davidson for example base their whole careers around keeping these sayings going

aliferste
02-11-2003, 20:58
P.E: one looked like a pirate - seriously: bald, black eye patch and moustache

Now is thats a stereotypical pirate you are talking about?
;)

Shaun
02-11-2003, 21:13
some stereotypes will never go away though.......

Because they are true, Biologists are boring and Chemists are drunks! :dmonk:

downquark1
25-11-2003, 22:41
Has anyone seen the Simpsons episode about the trip to England called the 'regina monologues' theres plenty of bad british accents and stereotyping in that :rolleyes:

Worst queen impression ever.. :p

keithwalton
25-11-2003, 23:16
might of done ;-) season 15 so far has just been wierd, they've lost the plot really and there not all that funny anymore. They should of wound it up before they ruined it :-(

K