PDA

View Full Version : digital tv install

Arch
03-12-2005, 20:25
Hi everyone, I am upgrading from Analogue to Digital and just wanted an idea of what to make sure the Engineer does to get the perfect install?
Analouge Bypass for channels 1-5 ?
Thanks....

homealone
03-12-2005, 20:46
analogue bypass, definitely - although availability may vary by area, I'm not sure.??

That is one of the uncertainties keeping me away from digital, for now - I'll be interested to hear how you get on :)

:welcome: to Cable Forum

goofabear
04-12-2005, 02:10
had digital for while and no problems whatsoever ..even gets extra channel with digital

jrhnewark
04-12-2005, 16:18
had digital for while and no problems whatsoever ..even gets extra channel with digitalHuh? :confused:

If you haven't got an outdoor aerial, the technician should be able to install an analogue bypass - although you'll have to ask him directly about it, he's unlikely to do it out of choice. :)

PS1
08-12-2005, 19:39
Hmmmm,your after the "perfect install" eh?????
Well i suppose you could start by making sure the engineer takes off his muddy boots before comming into your house and trampling mud all over your carpets!!!
(quite a common complaint). :D :D

Nedkelly
08-12-2005, 20:05
The installers in this area have been told that they need to carry these devices .As we get sick of going out to put these devices on after the installer has been :(

Halcyon
08-12-2005, 20:35
What exactly is analogue by-pass and why would you need it ?
Sorry, I'm new to all the digital Tv stuff.

PS1
09-12-2005, 06:59
An analogue by-pass provides you with your terrestrial channels with out the need for a seperate aeiral.Thus enabling you to watch one channel while recording another.(one digital and the other analogue or vice versa):D

Luca
09-12-2005, 08:44
I've had Digital TV for several years and have not got a terrestrial ariel so I was very interested in an "analouge bypass". as I can only record the programme I am watching. If I could watch channels 1-5 and record a digital programme this would be great.
I phoned NTL who informed me "there is such a thing but they don't install them". Any ideas on my next move.
Thanks to everyone.

Halcyon
09-12-2005, 17:33
An analogue by-pass provides you with your terrestrial channels with out the need for a seperate aeiral.Thus enabling you to watch one channel while recording another.(one digital and the other analogue or vice versa):D

Sounds like quite a good thing to do then. I'l keep it in mind.
Thanks.

handyman
09-12-2005, 17:36
I've had Digital TV for several years and have not got a terrestrial ariel so I was very interested in an "analouge bypass". as I can only record the programme I am watching. If I could watch channels 1-5 and record a digital programme this would be great.
I phoned NTL who informed me "there is such a thing but they don't install them". Any ideas on my next move.
Thanks to everyone.

What type of stb make/model do you have?

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Forget the last bit this will do the job irelevent of model

http://www.mediachannels.co.uk/usefullkits.htm

PS1
09-12-2005, 17:54
Phone Them Back And Ask To Speak To Someone Who Knows What They Are Talking About!they Definately Do Supply Bypasses!

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Thanks to everyone.

PHONE THEM BACK AND ASK TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.THEY DEFINATELY DO SUPPLY THEM!!:mad:

handyman
09-12-2005, 17:58
Phone Them Back And Ask To Speak To Someone Who Knows What They Are Talking About!they Definately Do Supply Bypasses!

Its not mandatory, neither is it part of any of the service you pay for so you cannot demand one.

I always used to tell customers that they could not have one as at one point we where not allowed to send them in the post and had to send a tech. I'd rather deal with a angry customer than waste resources (that could be out fixing genuine faults) pandering to their every whim because they cannot be bothered to put up/fix their own antenna.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

PHONE THEM BACK AND ASK TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.THEY DEFINATELY DO SUPPLY THEM!!:mad:

I know what i'm talking about thank you, I was a senior faults rep with ntl.

calm the caps down its not even your stb :P

PS1
09-12-2005, 18:06
Luca was told the cc does not "SUPPLY" them.This isnt true.I didnt say anything about it being mandatory to use them did i?
However,it is common practise in sum areas to do this as it reduces the number of customer complaints after install from customers complaining theyve "lost channels".
thus:happy/satisfied customer!:D

handyman
09-12-2005, 18:15
Luca was told the cc does not "SUPPLY" them.This isnt true.I didnt say anything about it being mandatory to use them did i?
However,it is common practise in sum areas to do this as it reduces the number of customer complaints after install from customers complaining theyve "lost channels".
thus:happy/satisfied customer!:D

It used to be common practice for the fault department to send out replacement remotes, extra length/replacement coax, bypass's, passthroughs and ethernet cables. This changed and it was decided that they would not do it anymore. I don't agree with it at all but I cannot speak for all faults depts as its really up to the team leaders and the department manager what policy they set.

Arch
10-12-2005, 22:30
analogue bypass, definitely - although availability may vary by area, I'm not sure.??

That is one of the uncertainties keeping me away from digital, for now - I'll be interested to hear how you get on :)

:welcome: to Cable Forum

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

well had Digital TV installed and am very happy after a couple of problems had been corrected after a call to CS.
The engineer said on arrival that due to high demand of christmas they had run out of scart leads and Analogue bypasses and did I have a spare scart lead....
Luckily I did.